PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Juicy

outofgum is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Starting from scratch, is there a FAQ?

A couple of hours ago I knew nothing about PPC. I decided to get a Sprint HTC Diamond a couple of days ago because I like the company, I like the design, and I really needed a new phone.

The phone arrived today. Following the advice on several forums, I unlocked the phone and flashed the ROM to Juicy. It was easy, there were very clear instructions.

Now I'm venturing further out, and I've got some basic questions that I can't seem to find answers for. The foremost is how do I install CAB files onto the phone? I'm running vista, do I need to use Windows Mobile Device Center? Can I copy it to the removable disk and run it from there? Do I need to browse the web from the phone and install from there? People provide CAB files, but no instructions on how to use them.

Also, is there a way to update the ROM without wiping everything off the phone? Or can you backup everything and just sync it after the update?

If there's a FAQ that answers these and other basic questions, please let me know cause I've been looking. Thanks!!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:33 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Starting from scratch, is there a FAQ?

first off, welcome here. as for cabs, thats an easy one. i use my ppc to dl (download) all cabs. i save them all to my internal storage (on diamond) then fid the cab on internal and tap on it. it will ask where you want to install, i try internal for all cabs that i can.( for memory reasons) there ya go, spb backup is my fav. backup tool, works well for all your needs. http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/backup/ a little how to on cabs, http://www.pocketpccentral.net/help/...l_cab_file.htm

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 12-19-2008 at 08:40 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Evo 4g
Carrier: sprint

av8or is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to av8or Send a message via Yahoo to av8or

darren, does that spb backup everything? i have a program for work that i input alot of data into that it stores proprietorially
along with contacts and settings?

is there something out there that i can listen to the pens thru the phone online with? lol they really wooped up on atlanta last night, couldn't believe the scores when the alerts came thru my phone
Old 12-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Juicy
Threadstarter

outofgum is a n00b

Thanks for the info. I've been browsing this site through my phone and its a little cumbersome but not too bad.

I've been trying to get the gmail app onto my phone. Does anyone use it or am I the only one that really likes the interface?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D
Carrier: Sprint

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

Lol. it's actually kinda funny that you started with flashing, and moved on to installing cabs... kinda reverse, but ok...

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
Old 12-19-2008, 09:31 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or View Post
darren, does that spb backup everything? i have a program for work that i input alot of data into that it stores proprietorially
along with contacts and settings?

is there something out there that i can listen to the pens thru the phone online with? lol they really wooped up on atlanta last night, couldn't believe the scores when the alerts came thru my phone
i use sirius for games on ppc. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=26310 if you dont have that use this link and choose pa, the kdka am station, they have almost all the games. http://www.thestreamcenter.com/PDA/

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 12-19-2008 at 09:50 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond