PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you know the panel was SOLELY capacitive touch?
Yes! 22 35.48%
Yes! But I live with it, the device has other features that are better 9 14.52%
No! I didn't Know! 9 14.52%
No! But I dont care either! 11 17.74%
Yes I knew, it makes a little difference to me 11 17.74%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Diamond, Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

mixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Capacitive Touch Buttons/Hardware Buttons! Let Your Voices Be Heard!

Any one notice that the WHOLE damn hardware button panel is capacitive touch. I always though it had more than one button, but the idea is that its capacitive touch and that it only works based on the vicinity of where u click/push the hardware panel.

I was walking to the library today, with gloves on, and noticed that whenever i pushed the call button, nothing came up. Took my gloves off, and it worked fine. This is the deal with ALL the buttons.

Kind of disappointing since now i can use the device's hardware buttons with gloves on, and the screen is not accurate enough to work with my fat gloves.

What are your thoughts? Did you know about this? Does this make the device a little less appealing to you AT ALL, now that you know about it? LET YOUR VOICES BE HEARD!

I mean i knew it had capacitive touch to develop multitouch interface, but this gives the device a similar handicap like the iphone.

Last edited by mixxy; 12-17-2008 at 11:43 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

subhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to subhumanderelict
Re: Capacitive Touch Buttons/Hardware Buttons! Let Your Voices Be Heard!

Yeah, there was a thread about this:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42578

Old 12-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

mixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on repmixxy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i know about the whole lock program at xda and the discovery of capacitive touch, but i thought it was a combination of capacitive touch AND actual hardware that was under that panel (some type of button)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo

subhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to subhumanderelict

I believe there are physical hardware buttons beneath the capacitive layer, but not all of them require a capacitive event to activate. The four main keys (Home, Back, Hang up and Answer) as well as the left/right buttons require direct contact with your finger (or whatever part of your body you use to push the button) but the up/down do not. At least, this is the case on the Touch Pro.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Prē

fr4nk1yn is keeping up the good workfr4nk1yn is keeping up the good workfr4nk1yn is keeping up the good work

Not sure what makes what work but mine has the habit of "losing alignment".
Sometimes my home click drifts up to the edge of the screen and a reboot gets it back in place.
Not sure what that means either.
Radio: Sprint 1.11.00F
Old 12-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhumanderelict View Post
I believe there are physical hardware buttons beneath the capacitive layer, but not all of them require a capacitive event to activate. The four main keys (Home, Back, Hang up and Answer) as well as the left/right buttons require direct contact with your finger (or whatever part of your body you use to push the button) but the up/down do not. At least, this is the case on the Touch Pro.
not so sure of this. because if there were hardware buttons underneath, then something would happen when i pressed the buttons. I tried home, call, back and end with my gloves on, NONE work.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:22 AM
you know ...
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

meatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to meatgel

[quote=subhumanderelict;585509](or whatever part of your body you use to push the button)[quote]

What are you using to push the button? eeeewwwwwwwwwww ....

Sprint Evo 3D! ...

Old 12-18-2008, 05:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon 4G (MoPho)

slmclarengt is just getting started

Mixxy, boy do I know how you feel...

I generally do not like walking around in our -7F degree weather without big gloves so this affected me as well yesterday (as I was waiting outside). But I was able to get it to work after pressing it many times; perhaps it registered a capacitive touch after that but that wouldn't make sense with how Capacitive touch works. There are physical buttons underneath but perhaps they FIRST rely on Capacitive touch to make sure a person is trying to push the button and not accidental in pocket or otherwise.

Maybe that is WHY it worked after a couple tries, because I was so persistent?

Slmclarengt
Old 12-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmclarengt View Post
Mixxy, boy do I know how you feel...

I generally do not like walking around in our -7F degree weather without big gloves so this affected me as well yesterday (as I was waiting outside). But I was able to get it to work after pressing it many times; perhaps it registered a capacitive touch after that but that wouldn't make sense with how Capacitive touch works. There are physical buttons underneath but perhaps they FIRST rely on Capacitive touch to make sure a person is trying to push the button and not accidental in pocket or otherwise.

Maybe that is WHY it worked after a couple tries, because I was so persistent?

Slmclarengt
noticed that too, but i think it has to do more with your fingers letting out SOME type of charge which builds over time, because after you click a few times and then the 8th or 9th time that it actually works, it wont work AFTER that ONE succesful entry.

Not sure what this is about, but maybe, since its based on sensitivity, there could be an app developed to control the amount of electrivity the conductor plate senses. I highly doubt that theres more than one hardware button underneat, that would prove to be of extra cost to htc. Rather they would utilize capacitive touch, and have it recognize which part of the panel is being touch, in sequence activating ONE button which is pushed, in accordance with the specific coordinates of the touch on the panel
Old 12-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

yeah i just consider it a minor annoyance... but i'd never handle my phone with gloves on... that's just a drop waitning to happen lol

Best... Member... Ever...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond