PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Create .lnk Shortcuts - Very Easy (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47786)

syanni85 12-04-2008 11:14 PM

Create .lnk Shortcuts - Very Easy

Ok so i have OCN8 on my phone, but i has to load from a file in internal storage since its 1.4GB large...

i wanted it in my programs list, but i couldn't just copy the .exe (cuz i never really had an "installation" for the program)

anyways, creating the .lnk file is TOO easy..

To create a program shortcut, you need to create a file with a .lnk extension. The following steps demonstrate the procedure.
  1. Open Notepad
  2. Place the entire command line in the first line of the file, including the .exe file. You must use quotation marks if it resides in a directory with spaces, such as “\Program Files.”
  3. Count the number of characters in the command line, including spaces and quotes, to get the length of the string.
  4. In the .lnk file, the format for the line is
    <length of string>#<command line>
  5. Save the file and copy it to the "\Windows\Start Menu" directory on the Windows CE or Pocket PC device. This places the shortcut at the top level of the Start Menu.
Example
Here is an example of the above steps:
  1. Open Notepad
  2. Add the following statement to the first line of the .lnk file: 77#"\Internal Storage\OCN8\OCN8.exe"
    Note: There are 77 characters in the command to be executed.
  3. Save the file to "\Windows\Start Menu".
  4. On the Windows CE or Pocket PC device, tap the Start button to see the shortcut that was created. The name of the shortcut is the same as the name of the .lnk file, minus the extension.

denttarek 12-04-2008 11:31 PM

Re: Help. Shortcut Needed!!

resco explorer
click and hold the file tap"copy"
go to your destination where you want the shortcut,tap and hold then tap"paste as a shortcut"
if you want it in your program lists you need to paste it at windows/start menu/programs

denttarek 12-04-2008 11:33 PM

Actually i have just checked the regular"file explorer" and it is the same way ,the only issue with the stock file explorer to paste a file you have to find an empty spot to tap and hold or the option won't appear

syanni85 12-04-2008 11:54 PM

thanks denttarek, but that isn't what i was lookin for cuz that won't work, you're sayin to copy the .exe file, i'm wanting to create a .lnk to that .exe file in internal storage... the program needs to load from the internal storage which has 1.4GB of info... but yeah... i found how to do it... reallly simple:

http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1022740

now i feel like i wasted a thread, but maybe it'll be helpful to others :D

denttarek 12-04-2008 11:55 PM

when you "paste shortcut" it does that for you,try it

and you can drop that file wherever you want and it is the shortcut for that exe file
i am not talking about a normal copy/paste it is a copy/paste shortcut

syanni85 12-05-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denttarek (Post 560833)
when you "paste shortcut" it does that for you,try it

and you can drop that file wherever you want and it is the shortcut for that exe file
i am not talking about a normal copy/paste it is a copy/paste shortcut

OMG, i can't believe i over looked that... wow.. i feel incredibly newb lol

Thanks bro

denttarek 12-05-2008 12:05 AM

Re: Create .lnk Shortcuts - Very Easy

it is alright ,the wiki you have made is hilarious though
anyways it happens ;)
sometimes we forget the basics after so long.i have had my share lol

majorassface 12-05-2008 02:48 PM

LOL, I couldn't help but laugh, sorry Syanni! Great tutorial though, just not helpful to anyone.

kmahesh 12-28-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syanni85 (Post 560715)
Ok so i have OCN8 on my phone, but i has to load from a file in internal storage since its 1.4GB large...

i wanted it in my programs list, but i couldn't just copy the .exe (cuz i never really had an "installation" for the program)

anyways, creating the .lnk file is TOO easy..

To create a program shortcut, you need to create a file with a .lnk extension. The following steps demonstrate the procedure.
  1. Open Notepad
  2. Place the entire command line in the first line of the file, including the .exe file. You must use quotation marks if it resides in a directory with spaces, such as “\Program Files.”
  3. Count the number of characters in the command line, including spaces and quotes, to get the length of the string.
  4. In the .lnk file, the format for the line is
    <length of string>#<command line>
  5. Save the file and copy it to the "\Windows\Start Menu" directory on the Windows CE or Pocket PC device. This places the shortcut at the top level of the Start Menu.
Example
Here is an example of the above steps:
  1. Open Notepad
  2. Add the following statement to the first line of the .lnk file: 77#"\Internal Storage\OCN8\OCN8.exe"
    Note: There are 77 characters in the command to be executed.
  3. Save the file to "\Windows\Start Menu".
  4. On the Windows CE or Pocket PC device, tap the Start button to see the shortcut that was created. The name of the shortcut is the same as the name of the .lnk file, minus the extension.

Syanni -

I am having a problem with at stupid shortcut. This is what I did.

1. created a file called BBSecStop.lnk and this file has the following text

75#"\Program Files\FdcSoft\TaskMgr\TaskMgr.exe" "stopsvc BlackberrySecurity"

2. Copied this file to "/windows/startup" on my htc touchpro
3. I can see this icon on my startup menu.
4. When I click, all it does is it kicks off TaskMgr application.

But my ultimate expected result is that it should open the app AND fire the command to stop the service AND close the app. Even if it doesnt close the app, that is fine but the second part should happen. What should I do to make this happen?

rstoyguy 12-28-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmahesh (Post 604393)
Syanni -

I am having a problem with at stupid shortcut. This is what I did.

1. created a file called BBSecStop.lnk and this file has the following text

75#"\Program Files\FdcSoft\TaskMgr\TaskMgr.exe" "stopsvc BlackberrySecurity"

2. Copied this file to "/windows/startup" on my htc touchpro
3. I can see this icon on my startup menu.
4. When I click, all it does is it kicks off TaskMgr application.

But my ultimate expected result is that it should open the app AND fire the command to stop the service AND close the app. Even if it doesnt close the app, that is fine but the second part should happen. What should I do to make this happen?

Try this:

70#"\Program Files\FdcSoft\TaskMgr\TaskMgr.exe" stopsvc BlackberrySecurity

...as a stab in the dark