PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 05:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Cricket

dcperdue is keeping up the good workdcperdue is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to dcperdue
XDA leading gsm users to this forum

Ok it seems we have been getting many people comming from xda gsm sections asking for info on this forum. I have seen about 20 posts over at xda where people with gsm phones who are looking for a certain cab file or a tweak are then refered to this forum. I have no problems with forums sharing links and stuff but that is where the confusion starts. When people are refered to a cdma forum for something that will work on a gsm phone as its something that has nothing to do with gsm they then start looking around the forums here and see allot of sweet roms and stuff and then think they can use them on their gsm phone.

Somone really shoud post a sticky or something that this forum in CDMA only. I have seen 100's of posts of gsm guys thinking cdma roms will work on their phone. I have even seen many brick their phone and then complain about it.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:09 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50
Re: XDA leading gsm users to this forum

yes we are two close forums as they are the biggest GSM forum and we (i think) are the biggest cdma forum. we send people over there and vice versa. no big whoop.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

jrn6264 knows their stuffjrn6264 knows their stuffjrn6264 knows their stuffjrn6264 knows their stuffjrn6264 knows their stuffjrn6264 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibby50 View Post
yes we are two close forums as they are the biggest GSM forum and we (i think) are the biggest cdma forum. we send people over there and vice versa. no big whoop.
True Dat. Read before you install and avoid the brick. There are a lot of things that are cross compatible like the diamond tweaks and UC for instance. Bottom line is everyone is responsible for their own phone and if something is over your head you should get informed.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 16GB iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

DaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to DaPeeps Send a message via Yahoo to DaPeeps Send a message via Skype™ to DaPeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcperdue View Post
Ok it seems we have been getting many people comming from xda gsm sections asking for info on this forum. I have seen about 20 posts over at xda where people with gsm phones who are looking for a certain cab file or a tweak are then refered to this forum. I have no problems with forums sharing links and stuff but that is where the confusion starts. When people are refered to a cdma forum for something that will work on a gsm phone as its something that has nothing to do with gsm they then start looking around the forums here and see allot of sweet roms and stuff and then think they can use them on their gsm phone.

Somone really shoud post a sticky or something that this forum in CDMA only. I have seen 100's of posts of gsm guys thinking cdma roms will work on their phone. I have even seen many brick their phone and then complain about it.

I can see your point that theres a potential for confusion....but first...this isnt a CDMA exclusive forum....at least not that I knew. True...its MUCH more CDMA focused...but I dont think its a bad thing that more people used this site, and that more people check out XDA. We are all one community when it comes to applications, tweaks, and just discussing the phones. I cant tell you how many tweaks/apps/themes I am running that I found at XDA.

People just need to understand what they are doing, and READ the directions. Having said that, I see no problem with creating sub-forums for GSM devices, much as XDA has created sub-forums for CDMA devices.

If I or someone else helps you out, don't just say thanks, click!
Old 11-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

I know I won't be held responsible because people don't know enough to read about what they're doing before they do it.

It's your choice to follow any directions on here, if you can't think enough to say "hey, this could **** up my phone, maybe I should find out what it is I'm actually doing first." then maybe you deserve it.

That being said, I could post a ROM right now that would corrupt your radio, and I guarantee 20 people would be super pissed, but hey, it was their choice to use it.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:47 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

maybe there all trying to brick there gsm phones trying to get cdma phones.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Prē

fr4nk1yn is keeping up the good workfr4nk1yn is keeping up the good workfr4nk1yn is keeping up the good work

I don't really go to XDA unless directed to.
I just checked and there's no Diamomd CDMA forum but a Touch Pro CDMA forum and the first thread I read was a guy getting ready to brick his phone with the Verizon(?) radio even with the forum being clearly marked as CDMA Only.

People will do what they do. I don't think there's a clear "solution" to keeping a GSM user from bricking if they don't read.

BTW if they don't read before flashing they probably wouldn't read a sticky.
Radio: Sprint 1.11.00F
Old 11-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

abovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabovelegit is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abovelegit Send a message via MSN to abovelegit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
I don't really go to XDA unless directed to.
I just checked and there's no Diamomd CDMA forum but a Touch Pro CDMA forum and the first thread I read was a guy getting ready to brick his phone with the Verizon(?) radio even with the forum being clearly marked as CDMA Only.

People will do what they do. I don't think there's a clear "solution" to keeping a GSM user from bricking if they don't read.

BTW if they don't read before flashing they probably wouldn't read a sticky.
If it's a CDMA phone (Diamond) I dont think the Verizon Radio ROM will brick the phone.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:31 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I don't mind, infact if xda were exclusively gsm, then the many apps, ect from the great contributors over there couldn't be used by us.. The geat folks over @ xda have had to put up with us whining about sim/gprs related "bugs", for many years.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond