PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Lurker

byrongman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
?s About activating Sprint Diamond on Verizon

Hey all!

I'm kinda new to all this phone hacking business and I had a few questions about activating a Sprint HTC Diamond on Verizon.

I know that several of you have done it successful, but there are still a few questions I have.

1. When you activate the phone, is there any way for Verizon to know that it is a smartphone? I am a student living on campus with good wifi so I don't need (can't afford anyway) a data plan. Several websites are reporting that Verizon will be requiring new smartphones to have $30 data plans, but I don't want this. So my question is, if I buy a Sprint Diamond and then activate on Verizon, will Verizon have any way of knowing that it is in fact a smartphone (besides me actually telling them)?

2. Related to the first question, is it possible for me to turn off the Diamond's Data connections, but still get text (SMS) messages? I want to do more than simply switch off the Data connection setting in Windows Mobile (which I know can be reset pretty easily by accident). I want to disable whatever radio or internal setting allows that connection to even be possible. I don't ever want to end up in Verizon dataland.

3. If there is a way of disabling data like I asked in 2, does that mean I won't be able to use some of the sweet GPS and FM Radio Programs that are listed on this website? It wouldn't kill me not to have that stuff, but it would be neat to have free GPS and get Radio stations.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: sprint diamond
Carrier: verizon

wavez is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: ?s About activating Sprint Diamond on Verizon

I think most of your questions were answered in the other sprint->verizon threads you are on.

There is a cab floating around somewhere on ppcgeeks which will disable your data connection. Try searching, should be out there somewhere.

If you disable data you won't be able to get vzw agps but you should be able to download the locking hints from htc quick gps when you are connected to wifi. Once downloaded they should last a few days before you need to update again.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond