PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 07:28 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Alltel

Flibmeister is keeping up the good workFlibmeister is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Random Act of Kindness.....

I hesitate to tell this story, lest it seem self-congratulatory, and if it does I apologize. But it's Diamond-related and I got such a kick out of it, I had to tell somebody.....

By way of background, I'm retired and while not rich, I'm comfortable. I rarely donate to organized charities, feeling that far too much of such monies goes to administrative costs, so my modest philanthropy often takes the form of what has become known as a "random act of kindness": when the person in front of me at the grocery store is a couple of dollars short of the amount necessary to cover their purchases, I throw in the difference; if I see a young mother at Walmart who has a child lusting after a small toy mom obviously can't afford, I'll buy it and throw it (in a bag, with a cash receipt) into the mother's cart. Such acts usually cost only a few cents to a few dollars, and the joy they put on the face of the receiver makes them an incredibly worthy investment.

So, I'm in my local Alltel store the other day, checking to see if they had any spare batteries in stock (they didn't) and a young college girl was inspecting a demo Diamond. She overheard my request and asked how I liked my new phone. We talked a few minutes, I showed her some of the features, and she said she had just one day left to decide whether to keep the Touch that she had purchased, or exchange it for the Diamond. She was clearly lusting after the Diamond, but was hesitating; when I asked why, she explained that it was going to cost $120 for the upgrade and she didn't think she could afford it.

I wanted to help her out, but $120 was a bit much, so I told her I was a pretty good bargainer-- maybe I could talk the store into giving it to her for half price. She got excited at that, so I went back to the clerk she was working with, slipped him $60, and quietly asked him to tell the girl he'd found a way to cut her upgrade cost to $60. Instead, he went to the back of the store, and came back a minute later with the manager, who had a half-smile on his face. The manager motioned for me to come with him, and we walked over to where the girl was playing with the phone.

To my surprise, he told her that there was a sale on Diamonds today, and if she wanted one, he could do it as a straight across trade (IOW, he absorbed the other $60). She was ecstatic, effusive in her thanks to me for finding out about the "sale", and I left as the clerk started the process of exchanging her phone. The manager and I exchanged thumbs-up as I headed out the door, secret partners in making another persons day a bit brighter.

If you've never commited a random act of kindness, you should. It just makes you feel good.
This post has been thanked 28 times.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:09 AM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Carrier: Sprint

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Re: Random Act of Kindness.....

very nice!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

One of the best threads I've read here.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Spring

ushkand is just getting started

Awesome! Keep goodness alive.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2 by HTC

eXplicit is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to eXplicit

Hey, can you take a trip down to my local Sprint store? I've been looking at getting a Pro. LOL.

Really though, great job!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions

This is what makes me smile!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

bridic is keeping up the good workbridic is keeping up the good work

Nice to see others have my same philosophy.

Keep doing what you are doing.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

osva is keeping up the good workosva is keeping up the good workosva is keeping up the good work

Really nice.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Lurker

CyberGypsy is a n00b

I once a month pay for the fast food of someone behind me, I have cards made up to pay it forward, and ask the drive thru people to hand them the card, I also collect old Ipods and clean them up for kids who have very little, (if anyone has any please PM me Christmas is almost here, and most of all I love seniors, almost 50 myself , love teaching them to use a mac
Old 11-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch + Mogul
Carrier: Sprint (its a love/hate thing)

winmobilelawyer is becoming a great contributor

Pay it forward. Excellent story.

And my Touch makes me feel like I am on a diet.

SKINS, WALLPAPERS, LINKS
http://mobile.meangmedia.com

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond