PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 01:51 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamon
Carrier: Sprint

Broncho is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quick GPS problem

I'm trying to verify the GPS part of my Diamond works (without using telenav as I would have to pay for it right now) and downloaded GPS Today. I haven't been able to get a reading with that yet, but I haven't been able to spend a decent amount of time outside and still for it's inital lock. I thought I would use the Quick GPS to try to help out the GPS today but everytime I tell it to connect it tries for a second and then says Connection Failed. Please try again later. I've tried this multiple times from multiple locations and can't seem to get it to work. I tried the same thing with my wife's Pro tonight and it got the data no problem. What am I missing here? Is there some trick to get it to connect or does it just not work on the Diamond?
Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: Quick GPS problem

GPS works fine on the Diamond. To fully test it, either download Live Search or Google Maps and install it on our phone. Then, in either program, have it find your GPS location. I have never waited more than a few seconds in either app for a GPS lock.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:20 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Broncho is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
GPS works fine on the Diamond. To fully test it, either download Live Search or Google Maps and install it on our phone. Then, in either program, have it find your GPS location. I have never waited more than a few seconds in either app for a GPS lock.
I've got Google Maps downloaded as well but it hasn't gotten a lock yet and will eventually time out, although I have only tried it inside a building. I'll give it another shot today though. My office has a window and I'll just leave it out on my desk about 4 foot from the window and see what happens. Any ideas on why Quick GPS won't connect to the server?
Old 11-06-2008, 04:32 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Broncho is a n00b

An update. I had to run an errand at lunch so I left my Diamond sitting on the dash of my truck when I ran into a building for a couple of minutes with Google Maps loaded and Use GPS selected (it said my phone isn't compatible with the My Location feature). It was sitting there with a clear view of the sky for the entire timeout period and didn't find a single satellite. Sounds defective to me. I'm going to try Sprint Nav on my way home tonight, but I doubt it will work. Anyone think a hard reset would do any good?
Old 11-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community

One more thing before you try Srpint Navigation.

Start -> Settings -> External GPS

Programs Tab: COM4
Hardware Tab: (None) and 4800
Access Tab: Make sure that Manage GPS automatically (recommended) is checked

Those are my settings and mine works.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:36 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Broncho is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
One more thing before you try Srpint Navigation.

Start -> Settings -> External GPS

Programs Tab: COM4
Hardware Tab: (None) and 4800
Access Tab: Make sure that Manage GPS automatically (recommended) is checked

Those are my settings and mine works.
Just checked and mine is configured the same way. I think Sprint Nav has a free 1 day trial so I'm not too worried about trying it tonight. Besides, we are probably going to change to a plan that includes navigation so I might be able to get it credited back later. I'll post later tonight and let you know if Sprint Nav worked or not.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint *cough*sucks*cough*

nullifier is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to nullifier

You can try following this post, see if maybe your phone somehow accidentally shipped with aGPS off.

Try running QuickGPS when you're connected to WiFi,

Do you have a data plan at all? Sprint isn't supposed to sell the device without one, but hey. It's Sprint, anything is possible. Without data, I guarantee the aGPS will cause a GPS program to fail locking sats.

You can also try using "GPS Utilities" which can log NMEA data to a file, to see if there is even the briefest of signals that your program is not indicating. There is another user that had a working GPS previous to a ROM flash, who cannot get his to work now so don't feel alone in your search.

Also, Google Maps requires you to select the 'Use GPS' option before 'My Location' will work. It will indicate if it is attempting to lock, and how many if any satellites it has locked.

Last edited by nullifier; 11-06-2008 at 05:47 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Alltel..Verizon

overbyc1 is just getting started

Had this same issue. It was a simple fix for me. Try this.

Make sure the location setting is on.

Start-Settings-Personal Tab-Phone-Services Tab-Location Settings-ON

I did this, Quick GPS downloaded and it found sats in like 5 seconds.

Hope it works!
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It

Yeah, I forgot about that too... thanks over
Old 11-06-2008, 06:46 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Alltel

Flibmeister is keeping up the good workFlibmeister is keeping up the good work

I had the same problem with QuickGPS as the OP, got the same error message for the last week, called HTC tech support last night. They at first claimed it wasn't their software it was Sprint's; I told her I doubted that, because I have Alltel. <g>

After first telling me that was impossible since Alltel didn't carry the Diamond (guess they're a little behind there....), she finally looked into it some and had me go into Options in QuickGPS and switch on the "Auto Download....." option. After doing that, the manual download worked just fine (just did it again, still works).

I do find that Alltel Navigation (I'm on a 30 day free trial) acquires the satellites in seconds, while GoogleMaps and LiveSearch can take a minute or two, but all three programs work just fine.

As an aside, while I was on the phone with HTC I asked about sources for an extra battery and she switched me to their Accessories department. I was able to order another 1340mha battery from them (can't find them anywhere online). $40 + shipping.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond