PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (Sprint)

nycfonephreak is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Device v. Internal Storage - did I screw up?

I'm new to WinMo and I've been just installing any new apps that I'm trying out on the Device without really understanding the difference between Device and Internal Storage.

Today, I tried using the RSS Hub to download an audio podcast (a 54mb mp3 file) and got an insufficient memory error. I found my way to the memory display and saw only 11.88mb free under Storage and 117.89 free under Programs. When I switched to the Storage Card tab, there was 3813mb free.

So, I was able to switch where the RSS Hub stores - and it moved all files to the Internal Storage (which I think is what the memory display shows as "storage card").

Now, I'm wondering if I screwed up by installing apps like eWallet, evernote, qik, TwitterMyFlickr, etc., on the device instead of the larger Internal Storage?
Old 11-02-2008, 12:11 AM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Device v. Internal Storage - did I screw up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfonephreak View Post
....Now, I'm wondering if I screwed up by installing apps like eWallet, evernote, qik, TwitterMyFlickr, etc., on the device instead of the larger Internal Storage?
Yes, unfortunately, you did. You should consider a hard reset, then installing again - many uninstallers won't completely remove all remnants, which will leave some clutter behind in your device memory.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

nmoreman is becoming a great contributor

I have same question - how do you decide where to download and store pics, apps, cab files, etc.
Coming from Centro, I had assumed internal storage (which equals removable card) was for things I would use - pics, music, files.
When I look at Memory, I am SO low on device, I thought useful programs - new clock, Rotate Screen, Windows Live, should be there.
Advise on future - where do I put these?
And do I need to reset - Ugg . . . .
I've only had a week, this would be pain but would rather do right and have set up than later and be even worse.
Thanks
Old 12-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

Wond3r is becoming a great contributor

I think of it like this... install everything to internal memory.
Some cabs will say "failed to install to internal memory, must install to device" ... those cabs you know that you need to install to the device. So far, there has only been one for me- Dashwire
Old 12-08-2008, 01:56 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfonephreak View Post
I'm new to WinMo and I've been just installing any new apps that I'm trying out on the Device without really understanding the difference between Device and Internal Storage.

Today, I tried using the RSS Hub to download an audio podcast (a 54mb mp3 file) and got an insufficient memory error. I found my way to the memory display and saw only 11.88mb free under Storage and 117.89 free under Programs. When I switched to the Storage Card tab, there was 3813mb free.

So, I was able to switch where the RSS Hub stores - and it moved all files to the Internal Storage (which I think is what the memory display shows as "storage card").

Now, I'm wondering if I screwed up by installing apps like eWallet, evernote, qik, TwitterMyFlickr, etc., on the device instead of the larger Internal Storage?
Installing apps on the device is fine and generally more stable. You just want to setup their data storage to go the "storage card". If an app is to stupid to seperate them (i.e. not allow you to specify and defaults to where ever it's installed) then install it on the storage card. But programs that are that brain dead usually are not worth installing.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:15 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

ATT-Half is a n00b

sorry to steal your thread but i also got a question maybe u guys can clear it up for me since you guys already talking about memory :
HTC pro
HTC memory tab

====Storage vs programs
Total 323.79MB----203.24MB

this my first PPC

what's the difference
i know one has be extra ROM space and the other RAM memory? correct
storage and programs sounds like the same thing (cause your store data on same location).

if we talk like windows XP lRAM only gets used as programs run and released as programs close.
htc touch pro = 288 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM

or is RAM = Programs and Storage=ROM the extra ROM space your allow to use

anyone clear this info for me ?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

06MS6 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATT-Half View Post
RAM = Programs and Storage=ROM the extra ROM space your allow to use
This is correct.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond