PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 05:53 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Alltel

Flibmeister is keeping up the good workFlibmeister is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Accessories Questions....

Just picked up my Alltel Diamond on Thursday, I'm an old guy with my first smartphone, so please be gentle with me.

From what I've read, the Alltel version of the Diamond specs out identically to the Sprint version, so I'm assuming accessories for the Sprint version will work with my Alltel unit-- please correct me if I'm wrong!

1. Best source for a spare battery?

2. Best source for a cradle/charger than can charge that spare battery outside of the phone?

3. Is the USB charging cable proprietary? It looks almost like a mini-USB but isn't-- I've got a few AC adapters with USB ports, so where can I get a couple of spare cables that will work?

4. Best source for a car charger?

5. I like a pouch type case (like I said, I'm an old guy, I don't care if I look like a nerd with it on my belt), but I'd like one with a magnetic latch. Recommendations?

6. I already goobered the screen protector that came with the phone-- are new ones available anywhere yet?

Thanks in advance for the info-- reading the posts here were very helpful in deciding what smartphone to get, and while I wouldn't dream of trying some of the hacks you guys do (I KNOW I'd brick the phone first time out), I have nothing but admiration for those of you with the skills and knowledge to use them!
Old 11-01-2008, 07:38 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Accessories Questions....

heres a start. http://www.handhelditems.com/touch-d...5132_5639.html
Old 11-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibmeister View Post
Just picked up my Alltel Diamond on Thursday, I'm an old guy with my first smartphone, so please be gentle with me.

From what I've read, the Alltel version of the Diamond specs out identically to the Sprint version, so I'm assuming accessories for the Sprint version will work with my Alltel unit-- please correct me if I'm wrong!

1. Best source for a spare battery?

2. Best source for a cradle/charger than can charge that spare battery outside of the phone?

3. Is the USB charging cable proprietary? It looks almost like a mini-USB but isn't-- I've got a few AC adapters with USB ports, so where can I get a couple of spare cables that will work?

4. Best source for a car charger?

5. I like a pouch type case (like I said, I'm an old guy, I don't care if I look like a nerd with it on my belt), but I'd like one with a magnetic latch. Recommendations?

6. I already goobered the screen protector that came with the phone-- are new ones available anywhere yet?

Thanks in advance for the info-- reading the posts here were very helpful in deciding what smartphone to get, and while I wouldn't dream of trying some of the hacks you guys do (I KNOW I'd brick the phone first time out), I have nothing but admiration for those of you with the skills and knowledge to use them!
First, welcome to PPCGeeks! Now for some answers to your questions:

1. I have no idea, though I thought another member here made mention that Alltel had a few accessories already for the Diamond. Did you ask them about a spare battery when you bought yours?

2. Several members have purchased this cradle and think it will work. Keep checking this thread to see the results.

3. A normal mini-USB charger will fit just fine. I use one from my HTC Touch at home and also one from one of my old Motorola phones in my basement. They fit fine and have done no damage to my Diamond yet (I got mine 9/17).

4. I use the car charger that I got for my HTC Touch and it works fine. No need to buy a Diamond specific one.

5. Sorry, I can't help you with this one. I am the "just throw it in my front pocket" kind of guy.

6. A lot of members here report being bale to get free screen protectors by going into the retail store (Sprint, Alltel) and simply asking for one. If that fails, try a search like this.

Glad that we as a group could help you make your choice in your first PPC phone. We are here to help each other and to learn as much as we can about these phones and their capabilities.

And don't worry about age... I am almost 40, and still geeking it up around here
Old 11-01-2008, 01:39 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Well, duh... although the ends of the cables from my other mini-USB devices and the Diamond look slightly different, you're right, they work just fine. Since I have a multitude of home and auto chargers from my old Razr, I should be set on that front.

My Alltel store didn't have any batteries yet, so I was hoping to find an online source. If anybody has one, let me know!

Thanks for the help, guys!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:20 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Still looking for a spare battery, the part number on my battery is 35H00111-12m, which I can't find anywhere. However, I did find one that looks very similar, the 35H00111-06m; anybody know if it's the same thing?

Here's the link: http://www.htcdepot.com/htc-1350-mah.../8A37A4323.htm
Old 11-02-2008, 01:46 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

It specifically states it is for the AT&T Touch Pro and FUZE, which worries me, as AT&T is only GSM. I don't think the GSM batteries will work in our CDMA Diamonds and Touch Pros.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond