PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 04:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

ocbizlaw is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Somebody Please give me a starting point to understand custom ROMs etc.

I've seen some hacks here along with some custom programs and I've tried them but I'm a beginner and I'd like to understand more. For example, I just saw the there is a new Juicy ROM out and that it helps battery life and speed. I'd give it a try and I could unlock my phone and install it. I can get that far, but I don't know what happens to TF3D, Sprint software likd Sprint Navigation and TV. And I don't know how to reinstall my original Sprint ROM if I want to go back. I've searched the posts here and I can't find a basic overview of all of this. Is there a basic primer on this stuff? If so, where can I find it?

Please don't flame. I'd just like to get an overview and try to understand this all better.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community
Re: Somebody Please give me a starting point to understand custom ROMs etc.

sticky.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36062
Old 10-06-2008, 06:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

ocbizlaw is a n00b

Thanks for your help. I read the post before I posted and it does tell me how to unlock and download a custom ROM but it doesn't answer my other questions.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

ocbizlaw is a n00b

For example, when I download the Sprint stock ROM and extract it it is a *.nbh file. What is that and how do you use it?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

You use .nbh files with the Rom Update Utility (RUU) but that is not as straight forward. Try a different rom and check it out. Juicy and DHarvey both have good Spritn roms right now. If you don't like those or just want to go back to stock Sprint, PM me and I will get you a version of the Sprint rom that you can work with easily.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond