PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 08:58 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (CDMA Version)
Carrier: Telus

tg1.0 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Strange/complicated power management issues

I have a Telus Diamond that I bought almost a month ago. I've noticed some strange power management issues which I will try to describe and interpret. Hopefully this thread will enable others to assess or fix their battery life issues.

Issue #1
  • The device sometimes doesn't charge properly while suspended. By looking at the "breathing light", it appears that the charging starts and stops intermittently.
  • While on and while totally off (held power button then tapped yes), the device charges fine.
  • Having a password set tends to prevent this problem. (I know this sounds wacky, but I've tested it carefully.)
Issue #2
  • The Cell/BT/WiFi radios sometimes remain on after you apparently turn them off.
  • If I turn off all communications, restart the device, and then suspend it, the device becomes radio silent after about 10 seconds. (To test for radio noise, I have been holding the device next to the antenna of a battery-powered AM radio set to about 550 kHz.)
  • If any of the communications have been on since the device started, I found that the device would continue to make radio noise even while suspended.
  • I have noticed the device consuming a considerable amount of power (one time about 70% in 24 hours) while suspended. I suspect that the WiFi radio was the cause.
  • I just recently cleared the password and this problem now seems to be gone.
Theory
  • I have a charging issue that affects the device while it is suspended and consuming little power. This could be a device problem, a battery problem, or a software problem.
  • Having a password set prevents the radios from turning off properly. This seems like a software problem, but it could be a device problem, or maybe (but probably not) a battery problem.
  • When the radios aren't really off, the device consumes more power while suspended and charges properly as a result. This is why setting a password tends to correct the charging issue.
Device Information

ROM version: 1.06.661.1
ROM date: 07/21/08
Radio version: 0.99.90V
Hardware version: 0080
  • I haven't activated the phone yet. I'm just using it as a PDA with WiFi.
  • My battery level drops quickly after 40%, but the total running time seems to be what it should be.
  • I am using the original ROM with few tweaks other than Assisted GPS.
  • I have tried enabling the 7 power management settings in Advanced Config, but they didn't fix these issues.
Obviously, I would like my device to charge continuously while suspended, whether or not I have a password set. I also don't want my battery drained quickly while the device is suspended. And I don't want to have restart the device after using WiFi.

I don't want to return my device unless it definitely has a physical hardware problem. But so far, I'm not convinced that it does. (If I did return my device, I might just get another one with the same and/or different problems.)

I would like to know whether anyone else has these issues, or if anyone knows a solution to them. If you reply with your experiences, please include your device information as well so we can compare ROM and hardware versions.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:09 PM
X Communicated User
Pocket PC: IPHONE 4
Carrier: Sprint

pzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Strange/complicated power management issues

1 thing to consider when u have a device thats not activated but on it will draw more power usage because its constantly polling the towers
Old 10-03-2008, 09:21 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzztgotbagz View Post
1 thing to consider when u have a device thats not activated but on it will draw more power usage because its constantly polling the towers
I normally leave the cellular radio off, but thanks for the info.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Most new phones from these carriers except BBs (don't like RIM).
Carrier: Sprint, ATT, Verizon AND T-Mobile. Yes, you read right.

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

It is always nice to see a detailed and rational analysis careful observation.

I discovered a similar charging issue, where the charging behavior changes based on whether Settings>System>Power>"When device is turned on, do not charge..." is selected or not. With the option selected, the device does not seem to fully charge with a wall charger. At least it does not indicate so and the LED ring keeps "breathing".

Generally, a cellular phone will draw more power when it is in a bad reception area. I noticed that the Diamond is THE WORST when it comes to bad reception areas and power drain. It seems to draw power like mad when reception is not good.

I have a Sprint CDMA Diamond.

ROM: 1.09.651.5
Radio: 1.00.00F
HW 0080

I haven't set a password and don't use WiFi, so I can't directly echo your findings.

I have also noticed that the battery meter (using the 1% driver) is very inaccuarte. It would report 70% for several hours, then suddenly drop by 15% or more with no difference in usage pattern. Sometimes it would show 20%, and after a soft reset, it would show 25%. Then I plug in the charger, and the meter goes to 35% immediately.

Good luck with your research.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

snovvman, I believe you're not using a stock rom, no? I'm pretty sure all of the custom roms use no2chem's 1% or modified 5% meter which holds some inaccuracy.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeychris View Post
snovvman, I believe you're not using a stock rom, no? I'm pretty sure all of the custom roms use no2chem's 1% or modified 5% meter which holds some inaccuracy.
I'm using the stock Sprint ROM w/ no2chem's 1% driver. I used the same with the Touch and never saw the wild swings. With the Diamond, it just behaves erratically.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

two different phones, two different drivers...
Old 10-04-2008, 01:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeychris View Post
two different phones, two different drivers...
I don't necessarily think it's the driver. I figure the OE 10% is simply masking the anomaly that was already there. The 1% is simply allowing one to see it.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:36 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
I don't necessarily think it's the driver. I figure the OE 10% is simply masking the anomaly that was already there. The 1% is simply allowing one to see it.
I agree. Before installing the 1% driver, I noticed that my battery gauge seemed inaccurate. Also, this page says that the driver only improves the precision, and not the accuracy, of the reading.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:10 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
I discovered a similar charging issue, where the charging behavior changes based on whether Settings>System>Power>"When device is turned on, do not charge..." is selected or not. With the option selected, the device does not seem to fully charge with a wall charger. At least it does not indicate so and the LED ring keeps "breathing".
Thanks, snovvman. I have disabled the "When the device is turned on, do not charge the battery when connected to the PC." option (so it does charge when connected) and this seems to have fixed my Issue #1.

I didn't think this option had anything to do with my charging issue because my charging issue only affected my device when it was suspended. However, if having a password can prevent the radios from turning off, then I guess basically anything is possible...

I still have my Issue #2, but it is easily worked around by not having a password (which is not a big deal for me).

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond