PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 09:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

sdafasdlkfj is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gmail on HTC Touch Diamond

Hey fellow geeks--

A question for you geniuses that I haven't been able to figure out.

When I used the Gmail Java App on my old phones (A900, UpStage) the emails would never download to my phone, but I would be able to view, compose, and delete emails just like I was on the computer. I really liked this because I would have all of my emails there at my disposal, but they wouldn't slow down my device.

Now with my Diamond, since I cannot download the Gmail Java App, I'm unsure how to recreate this email experience. I've set up IMAP, but it doesn't make sense to download all of my 500+ emails to my phone, most of which are there for backup. It is making Outlook Express sluggish. I would like to access my email as if I were on gmail.com, but the best I can think of is set my homepage on iGoogle. This is what I did on my last phone, the Touch, but with the beautiful TouchFlo 3D, I don't want to do the same with my Diamond.

What should I do? What do you guys do for email?
Old 09-27-2008, 09:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

jgillard is keeping up the good workjgillard is keeping up the good work
Re: Gmail on HTC Touch Diamond

Change the way you use gmail. Archive your mail in gmail. This way it is not on your inbox anymore and therefore will not be on your phone. You can still access any of your old email by the all mail tab and it will be found if searching just is not in the inbox anymore and not clogging up your phone. Hope this helps.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Not at the Moment BB TOUR

CatFishDom is a n00b

I am using the Sprint Mobile Email program from the Touch. It is working great. It will push emails to my phone almost instantly.

Here is the file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MobileEmailSetupGMAIL.zip (1.24 MB, 196 views) Click for barcode!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:06 PM
exi
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

exi is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgillard View Post
Change the way you use gmail. Archive your mail in gmail. This way it is not on your inbox anymore and therefore will not be on your phone. You can still access any of your old email by the all mail tab and it will be found if searching just is not in the inbox anymore and not clogging up your phone. Hope this helps.
Definitely. Make use of the archive function - that's how I keep 5000+ emails sitting idly by while I deal with new inbound stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFishDom View Post
I am using the Sprint Mobile Email program from the Touch. It is working great. It will push emails to my phone almost instantly.

Here is the file.
Instead of using SME, I would use Seven's beta client. Seven is the group that created SME in the first place, and in my opinion, their upcoming mobile email client is much improved over SME. I would give you a link for the various builds they provide, but their site/service is currently down because of an office relocation.

But yeah, I use Seven for the same reason - push functionality with Gmail. Wonderful thing; never had any problems with the client.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

sdafasdlkfj is just getting started

Thank you guys, I never considered my problem to stem from the Gmail side in the first place. Are you able to access the Archives from the phone, and conversely, are you able to archive messages from the phone?

Also, can you delete messages from the phone and have them go straight into Gmail's Trash? I tried, and they became a "Trashed" label in Gmail!
Old 09-27-2008, 11:40 PM
exi
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdafasdlkfj View Post
Thank you guys, I never considered my problem to stem from the Gmail side in the first place. Are you able to access the Archives from the phone, and conversely, are you able to archive messages from the phone?

Also, can you delete messages from the phone and have them go straight into Gmail's Trash? I tried, and they became a "Trashed" label in Gmail!
1. No, you can't. Seven's client doesn't yet allow access to any other folder besides the Inbox, either. If you use WM's built-in email support and an IMAP connection, then you could get to your archives as far back as you've enabled synchronization for in the phone's settings.

Using SME, right? That happens, the trashed thing. Deleting messages with Seven's beta client - not SME - just removes the "Inbox" label from the message, meaning it doesn't actually get moved to Trash; just removed from the Inbox (and appears under All Mail). My understanding is that the devs over at Seven are working on this.

Gmail, while mostly a great service, doesn't seem to use a 100% standard IMAP setup, so we see weird things client-side. It's just like using Gmail IMAP with Outlook - deleting a message doesn't actually land it in the Trash when you check in webmail.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Lurker

Kobax is a n00b

Right - you need to move it to the "trash" imap folder instead.

Gmail with imap works decent with the built in email client.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

jgillard is keeping up the good workjgillard is keeping up the good work

For the most part gmail does not expect you to ever delete anything. Deleting it from the phone just removes the label causing the email to end up in the archive.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Mustang46L is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to Mustang46L

Where would one get the Seven beta that you speak of? I have been using the client from my Touch as well.
Compaq H3650 --> Handspring 600 (Sprint) --> HTC 6600 (Sprint) --> Dell Axim X51v --> HTC Mogul (Sprint) --> HTC Touch (Sprint) --> HTC Diamond (Sprint) --> HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) --> Palm Pre (Sprint) --> HTC Touch Pro 2 (Sprint)
Old 09-28-2008, 01:16 PM
exi
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgillard View Post
For the most part gmail does not expect you to ever delete anything. Deleting it from the phone just removes the label causing the email to end up in the archive.
Yeah, basically. Can't say I'm terribly happy about that, but then again, free IMAP and all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46L View Post
Where would one get the Seven beta that you speak of? I have been using the client from my Touch as well.
Their site should be up in a day or so, but for those who want it now, I've attached the WM 6.1 Pro build for branded services (Gmail, Hotmail, etc.).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Seven Beta Email Client.zip (2.07 MB, 159 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by exi; 09-28-2008 at 01:18 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond