PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

hebrewbacon is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Issues with Diamond's physical keys

I haven't seen this posted before, so I wanted to know if my particular Diamond has issues or if it's an all around problem.

Does anybody have trouble with the Diamond recognizing a click on the home, call, end call, or back buttons as left and right input on the d-pad? If I click directly on any of these buttons' icons, it generally just navigates left or right, and only if I click the very edge of the button does input work. Moreover, when I click the edge, it's only a 75% chance that the phone responds the way it should to that press.

A classic example would be trying to go to the home screen while in an app, and the phone takes a left input instead of minimizing the app. An even buggier example is trying to lock the phone by long pressing the end call button. This only works about 30% of the time, generally taking multiple tries to function. In general, the phone just takes right input from the d-pad when holding the button, or else does nothing at all. Generally if I'm already at the home screen, I have to navigate to another tab, come back, and try long pressing again.

Finally, when texting in T9, the phone often doesn't register a right click on the d-pad when trying to select the 2nd or 3rd word suggestion (such as selecting the word "see" when typing "as", "er", "er" (compact qwerty), in which "are" is the first word to appear).

If other people are not having this problem, then I'll quickly get my Diamond replaced by Sprint. Otherwise, if it's standard, let's hope Sprint releases a fix, ASAP!

I'm running Juicy's 2.1 ROM, but the problem was the same with stock ROM.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Diamond

hempy is just getting started
Re: Issues with Diamond's physical keys

I have similar issues. I figure I'll just get used to the keys, as I'm still habitually trying to use it like a Mogul.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP

I have the same problem, and what's worse is sometimes, I can't even get the directional keys to work. It seems like it just depends on what the phone feels like clicking at the time. I can click left one time and it goes left... click in the exact same spot a bit later and it opens the phone application, the next time it may go to the home screen. Very annoying.

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)
Old 09-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

labens is just getting started

My phone (answer/end) keys work well pressing directly on the icons or close to the edge. Home key has to be close to the edge. Back key I don't use, so can't really say. Directional keys work, but I haven't got used to them. I like the d-pad on the Vogue better. I still think the little stick on the 6700 was the best, though I know many didn't like it.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

It has been mentioned before, that the right dpad sometimes doesn't respond. I have this same issue, but only really notice it in the Picture ALBUM. In other things it works... Weird?

-CC
Old 09-25-2008, 09:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: sprint

iwillfearnoevil is just getting started

end key doesnt always work for me, i think it's software issue tho
Old 09-25-2008, 09:48 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

shannl is a n00b

I can only activate voice command half of the time (long press send key). If I press on the very bottom edge it works a little better.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I too have issues with the keys & was surprised that more people weren't posting about it. There's a thread on the End Key specifically, but I think it affects all keys. I ordered a replacement from Sprint today, but I have a strong feeling this isn't hardware related, but is instead software related. My Touch did the exact same thing
Old 09-25-2008, 10:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800-> Diamond

freegood is a n00b

my left dpad and center button is slightly depressed. still works but annoyingfor a new phone
Old 09-25-2008, 11:19 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo and Palm Pre

tn_friend is just getting started

I have an issue with the right d-pad button....it works very rarely...the up, down, and left work fine..but the right just is just quite frustrating

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond