PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 07:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

marklyn is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Suggestions on what to uninstall/remove from storage memory

I'm down to 7mb left for storage memory and I really don't have that much installed. I'd like to know what some of you are removing from your storage memory to free up space, particularly what (and how) you remove, that came with the phone.

When I got my phone I immediately looked at the 'remove programs' applet and of course the stuff they pile on the phone isn't there for us to easily remove so I hope some of you already figured out how to dig some of this stuff out.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:33 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Suggestions on what to uninstall/remove from storage memory

try to keep pics. music ect. on internal if your not. i have 23mb and i have 2 todayscreens plus other apps. also make sure you clear opera history and cookies ect. if all that dont work do what im doing and get the pro. lol
Old 09-24-2008, 07:39 PM
tmz
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO & Pro2
Carrier: sprint

tmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Look here , Hope it Helps.

Thanks T M Z

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ghlight=memory
Old 09-24-2008, 08:56 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

This issue may be the Achilles heel of the Diamond for me. I wondered why the Pro has so much; now I know - Sprint uses/wastes a lot.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

marklyn is a n00b
Windows folder has 201MB alone!

It just seems odd to me that the Windows folder alone has 201MB of files in it!
I glanced through the larger files 900K and above and it seems like it's all legit in what would be needed for this phone to operate the way we'd like it to but damn, what were these people thinking with leaving us with a piddly few megs of memory to install programs with?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo / TP / TP2

JohnBecker is keeping up the good workJohnBecker is keeping up the good work

The files located in the Windows directory are in ROM. They don't affect the RAM.

It's best to interrupt the customizing after a hard reset and install what you want yourself. You will probably have to reset twice before it stops trying. Opera won't be installed, but its in the Windows directory (wm6_ppc_htc....)

Once it's installed into main memory, you can't remove it. You can install it on the storage memory and save a lot of RAM. Read the link above ... I put a lot of info there.

EVO 4G ... after 8 years of Windows Mobile devices, I've given up on WM toys and switched to Android. This is the way mobile should have been!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

marklyn is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBecker View Post
The files located in the Windows directory are in ROM. They don't affect the RAM.

It's best to interrupt the customizing after a hard reset and install what you want yourself. You will probably have to reset twice before it stops trying. Opera won't be installed, but its in the Windows directory (wm6_ppc_htc....)

Once it's installed into main memory, you can't remove it. You can install it on the storage memory and save a lot of RAM. Read the link above ... I put a lot of info there.
John, I'm a long time Windows (pc) person, and my exposure to Windows Mobile devices is fairly new. I think most of my problem is trying to make comparisons to pc windows and my mis-understanding the architecture of how windows and software is setup on mobile devices. Again, this is new to me. You sound like you have a good understanding.
Can you walk me through the basics, like when you hard reset a mobile device, what is on it then? Then when the customizations kick in, is the 3rd party software being added? How and when does software get added to ROM and at what point does software become unable to be removed from ROM? I'm particularly interested in what you said about interrupting the customization part...
Oh, and I thought I was talking about the ROM when I talked about what space I have left in "storage" space versus what I see in "program" space (which is considerably more). The storage space is where Windows, opera, picture mail, etc., is loaded, right?
Old 09-25-2008, 12:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Desire (Telstra) / at&t Nexus One
Carrier: at&t

cortez is becoming a great contributor

there's a ton of space used for cab files, jpg's, wav files, etc. i backed the files up to my PC an internal storage, then created zero-byte files to replace them (using Resco Explorer). my available storage memory increased from 30 MB to 60 MB. i also install all of my 3rd party programs to internal storage... this is a link to my post about the same at SprintUsers.com

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond