PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 11:09 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

ruthless1337 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking How to get push mail working?

Hey Guys,

I'm with Telus using HTC Touch Diamond with Juicy 2.1 Rom. I read the other thread in the forum and I was able to setup my Hotmail using Windows Live but its not working as PUSH mail. I have to manually click Send/Receive button for it to update with the new messages. Also I read some people are using the Seven mail service and there website under the "HOW TO GET SEVEN" section does not list Canada. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me setup my Hotmail and Gmail with PUSH mail functionality. Thanks

UPDATE:

Someone was asking me to upload the Telus Email Client Cab file I used to get push email working on my HTC Touch Diamond. For Gmail remember to have POP access enabled. Also when I install it on Juicy Roms during install it gives an error about some shortcut not found issue. Just hit ok and ignore it as it installs fine. Finally in order to set this up you need to call telus and tell them you need to setup telus mobile email client and they will assist you. Telus Mobile Email is a free service if you have the unlimited IM,Email and Web plan. Hopefully this is helpful to some.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Telus_Mobile_Email.zip (882.6 KB, 25 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by ruthless1337; 10-05-2008 at 12:17 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

ghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: How to get push mail working?

Did you change the schedule from manual to as items arrive?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:19 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

ruthless1337 is a n00b

Nope I did not change any settings. I set it up with Windows Live and I can sign onto messenger and check my email and everything. Then I try email myself something and never comes in as PUSH. I always have to hit send/receive to update my email. I also tried to use the Emansio email client and it would just not connect over wifi or evdo.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:26 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

ruthless1337 is a n00b

Ok now I tried to change the settings to As Items Arrive and sent myself an email and its not coming through.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

I wasn't aware that Hotmail or GMail allowed utilization of push mail. My push mail works fine, but I am using an Exchange server. Hotmail, GMail and other typical free providors usually only allow POP3 or IMAP, which both require for you to pull the mail (manual or scheduled send/receive).

I'll check GMail to see what they have to say about it in their settings...
Old 09-24-2008, 10:39 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

ruthless1337 is a n00b

Ok so after changing the settings on Hotmail they mail does come in but it takes a while. So I'm thinking its just trying to sync at some intervals and then just pull the mail once it sees it. Anyone know how to manually run an exchange server at home or something. That would be awesome!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community

Here is a screenshot of GMail's forwarding feature tab in settings, notice that it does not list push mail:

And here are the GMail setup instructions for email on a WinMo 6.x device:
  1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
  2. Open the Start menu and select Programs > Messaging > New E-mail Account.
  3. Enter your Gmail address (including '@gmail.com') in the E-mail Address field*. Google Apps users, enter your full address in the format 'username@your_domain.com'*.
    * Windows Mobile 6.1 users: Enter an unintelligible email address (such as 'g@g') at this step. This will bypass the automatic configuration for POP access.
  4. Uncheck the box that asks to get settings automatically from the Internet and select Next.
  5. Select Internet e-mail as your email provider in the drop-down menu.
  6. Enter your name as you want it to appear in sent emails.
  7. Enter a descriptive name for the email account and select Next.
  8. Enter 'imap.gmail.com' in the Incoming Mail Server field.
  9. Select IMAP4 as the Account type from the drop-down menu and select Next.
  10. Enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') and password.
  11. Select Next.
  12. Enter 'smtp.gmail.com' in the Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server field.
  13. Make sure that the Outgoing server requires authentication box is checked.
  14. Select the Advanced Server Settings link.
  15. Make sure that the Require SSL box is checked for both incoming and outgoing emails.
  16. Select The Internet as the network connection from the drop-down menu.
  17. Select Done and then Next.
  18. Select how often you want your phone to send/receive emails from the drop-down menu.
  19. For more download options, select the Review all download settings link.
  20. Select Finish.
  21. Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

jyxent is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless1337 View Post
Ok so after changing the settings on Hotmail they mail does come in but it takes a while. So I'm thinking its just trying to sync at some intervals and then just pull the mail once it sees it. Anyone know how to manually run an exchange server at home or something. That would be awesome!
You can get a hosted exchange account at a provider such as mail2web.com.

If you're familiar with linux, Zimbria just open-sourced their collaboration suite, which includes exchange functionality.

I'm currently using PushEffect to get push email with my gmail account. It uses text messages to notify your phone of new messages, so doesn't require keeping your data connection open.

Last edited by jyxent; 09-24-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Sprint

GuyWithNoLife is becoming a great contributor

Using Windows Live, my email wouldn't push until I did a soft-reset after configuring everything correctly. Also, if you did the reg edit that turns your connection off after being idle for 60 seconds instead of 600, this reportedly breaks pushmail.

Hope this helps.

Sprint Nexus S 4G
Old 09-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It

I remember some users here saying that they use Mail2Web for free and like it:

http://services.mail2web.com/FreeServices/m2wLive/

Then you could have GMail forward all emails to your free exchange account and have it pushed to your Diamond. Just a thought...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond