PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 05:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

proplayer44 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
To Flash or Not to Flash (Telus)

So I have tweaked my phone to where the TF3D works fine with no lag. I used some the programs and instructions from XDA, before I discovered this Diamond forum.
I've done another couple tweaks but can't remember what they were.
My email works pretty well now.
My TOM TOM works well enough although it does take 3 minutes to find the towers ( I can live with that).
I'm totally not happy with the chit camera but meh.
I also hate my battery life.
Flash videos don't work. Besides Youtube

What am I missing with not putting on a custom ROM. Battery life could be increased and GPS made slightly better but I'm not sure what else I'm missing that could be great. Is flash working on the cooked Roms for Telus.

If I was to flash it how do I go about saving my Contacts and the "People" tab with pictures? I know use Active Sync. But how, is there instructions? Once I copy them off how do I get them back on exactly the same.

These are some reasons I'm delaying flashing my Diamond and I assume some other people are the same. Can you help with this?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Kueh is a n00b
Re: To Flash or Not to Flash (Telus)

Use PIM backup, it's free. It made a backup of my contacts and restored them fine. You might want to try SPB backup. You get a trial period so you can backup your registry (for programs you already installed) I didn't and had to reinstall my programs.

I flashed to increase the amount of free ram for the device to use. Supposedly, battery life is supposed to be better but haven't noticed much off a difference, but I had to pull my battery a few times so the phone might have to recalibrate the battery meter. QuickGPS helps GPS acquire locks alot faster.

And I have a Telus Diamond.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:36 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

ghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on rep

backing up and restoring registry settings is a bad idea when switching roms. Thats why your battery life is no different. Only backup your contacts, email, calander, etc and you will be fine
Old 09-23-2008, 01:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint

bionic1ball is keeping up the good workbionic1ball is keeping up the good workbionic1ball is keeping up the good work

eh, diamond in canada does't have the gps activated?
Old 09-23-2008, 05:05 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Kueh is a n00b

HTC Quick GPS was left out the Telus Diamonds for some reason. GPS works out of box for many without any tweaking.

Don't back/restore registry ? Ugh, guess no trying out too many rom builds, then.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

Most of the improvments in roms come from better registry tweaks, by restoring your old settings, you destroy all of that work.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700 > Touch > Diamond > TP > TP2
Carrier: Telus Mobility

shtewps is keeping up the good workshtewps is keeping up the good work

Who cares about QuickGPS... Telus supports aGPS and once you install the reg keys to properly enable it (found in this forum) you get a TTFF in seconds.

IMO the Telus rom is fine, if you use TF3D (which you shouldnt anyways) use the proper tweaks and you're good.

If you really want to free up some resources, the biggest gains you will notice will be from disabling TF3D. (just wait for htc to get it right, then it might be worth sacrificing some performance for it )

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond