PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 02:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

nmoreman is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help needed to load new programs to Diamond

I am going to ask this, and I feel totally ignorant, but want to use all the expertise here to help make my phone do what it should.

I am a long time Palm user and completely new to WinMo. There are so many great apps that I decided to make this switch, but do not know how to properly load these on my phone.

The two biggest reasons I got the Diamond is for screen size and landscape use, so I can see without my glasses and not have to use stylus.

However, before I totally screw up my phone, can someone please tell me the best way to load apps via Sync into my phone? Basics such as GSen have me stumped.

I'm sure others are too hesitant to ask, but more will need these answers as they switch. Like the phone, but really want to tweak to make more useful.
Thanks
Old 09-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Re: Help needed to load new programs to Diamond

Well for starters you're not going to "totally screw up" your phone by loading programs. If you're concerned about any program always backup your device before installing anything. That way if something goes wrong you can always restore.

There's really no wrong way to load apps. Cab files are meant to be loaded onto your phone first. Then simply navigate to the Cab file and tap to install. There are some programs (exe's) that you must install via your pc (while you ppc is connected).

And then there are some exe programs that are loaded and installed from your ppc.

Basically, backup your device and start having fun with the software and programs available.

late,
Coz
Old 09-22-2008, 03:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I have downloaded GSen to My Docs, have it under CabIntal, but shen I click "Install", nothing happens.
I am not sure if I need the .CAN path, the Path (Install to default location in light gray) or it states Please select CAB file.
I'm stuck, and this should be an easy one.
I also tried Diamond TF3D Config so I could play with themes, it installed, showed up in programs, but said Invalid file (or something), so I deleted.

While I'm at it, what is the best way to back up any files? All Office (contacts, calendar, etc.) on pc, any other suggestions since all I see are to cards, and I don't have one!
Old 09-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4
Carrier: AT&T

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Do a lot of searching from your home computer, and download all of the programs you want in EXE format.

When you attach the Diamond to your PC, choose Activesync mode (make sure that activesync opens and syncs). Then open the EXE's on your computer and they will install automatically on your phone
Old 09-22-2008, 04:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

maryanne is a n00b

I like the Sprite Backup, not cheap but works great.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:55 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond

rdumfress is just getting started

Could have sworn I read somewhere that GSen doesn't work on CDMA phones. Could be wrong but it just sticks out somewhere in my mind. Also, to install, you need to drag the files via sync into a folder on the phone. Then, on the phone, go to the file explorer and find the .cab file. click on it and it should start the install and ask whether you want to install on the internal memory or the flash. I'm not really sure if its alright to install everything to the larger drive or not, still a little new to this.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo / TP / TP2

JohnBecker is keeping up the good workJohnBecker is keeping up the good work

GSEN does work on the CDMA phones. You just have to run it each reset or put a shortcut in the startup folder. It doesn't work for every screen, but it works nicely in Opera.

CABS are the easiest way to install apps. I just put a copy of every cab file on my Internal Storage space and install using File Explorer. One thing to keep in mind... if the application is something that runs on the today screen, you should install it to the device memory. Otherwise you can install nearly anything else to the storage area. Save your precious RAM.

However for a beginner with a WM device, using ActiveSync is easier until you get used to the other way of installing programs.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I have a question about what I have done, have been researching and one answer you gave needs more explanation to me.
I have Memory, I am really eating up Main Storage and don't know if I am loading incorrectly.
Basically I have 8 mb's left, have less than 2 dozen pics, 8 ringtones, and a few programs, such as Google Maps, 5 apps form Cab's.
When it asks where do I want to load it, should this be to device or internal storage.
Running Sprint standard phone programs.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:10 AM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Internal Storage.. that is basically your memory card, its just not removable. Install any/all programs that will allow the choice to install to Internal Storage.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond