PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

View Poll Results: Faster Memory? Diamond or Pro?
The Diamond's Internal Memory is FASTER! 21 43.75%
The Pro's SD memory is FASTER! 6 12.50%
The Pro's SD memory may be faster someday. 3 6.25%
Both the Diamond and Pro's memory are the same speed. 20 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Tardis + Sonic Screwdriver
Carrier: Torchwood

The Doctor is keeping up the good workThe Doctor is keeping up the good workThe Doctor is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Memory Speed, Diamond versus PRO

I have the Diamond and REALLY LIKE it compared to my Mogul.
I do miss the keyboard.
I am considering a return to get the PRO but I would like to figure something out and I have not seen any posts on it:
Is the four gigs of "Storage Card" memory in the Diamond faster than an inserted mini SD in the pro?
I ask because I've always read that some flash memory is able to be written to and read faster than some SD flash memory.
I guess it's the same but not sure.
It could amount to a big difference when watching movies/transferring files etc...
Old 09-20-2008, 08:08 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Titan
Carrier: VZ

pleasestirme is becoming a great contributor
Re: Memory Speed, Diamond versus PRO

I don't know the specs of the internal memory but I can tell you that some SD cards are faster than others. So I would guess that the short answer would be "it depends".

PleaseStirMe

Verizon XV6800
Unlocker---nueSPL-2.47
Radio------3.42.50
ROM-------DCD 4.1.2

Verizon XV6850
Old 09-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

Seeing as the pro isn't out.....
But if you set the internal storage to act as a hardrive (option when you plug in the cable) it acts as a usb harddrive with very fast transfer speed.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Compusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Compusmurf Send a message via AIM to Compusmurf Send a message via MSN to Compusmurf Send a message via Yahoo to Compusmurf

I would suspect the diamond's built in memory would be somewhat faster. (Just based on the electrical interface)

My reasoning:

If I remember my design specifications, SD specifications call for a 4 bit interface.

The built in memory on the diamond is very much more likely to be a 16 bit interface (or 32) to the actual chips themselves.

Now, SD has come along way with the speed, and the actual devices "aren't THAT fast" compared to a regular PC.

Will it be a noticeable difference? Probably not. For the hardcore speed freaks, could be a few ms. in access time.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

SirNathaniel is becoming a great contributor

I really don't think there'll be a noticable difference in speed. I still prefer the option to expand storage, 4gb is not enough, and idk how long my 8gb card is gonna last me once I have a Pro...though I should be able to wipe of a good deal of apps that I have for the mogul, since many of those apps and icons were for giving it a more finger-friendly setup...
Old 09-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: axim, PPC-6700, Mogul, Touch, touch pro

j10376 is becoming a great contributor

This is not a valid vote without benchmarks or some technical specs. The users with Diamonds need to perform a benchmark on the diamonds internal 4GB and compare them to the ultra sd cards benchmarks.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

B18DelSolT is keeping up the good workB18DelSolT is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to B18DelSolT Send a message via MSN to B18DelSolT Send a message via Yahoo to B18DelSolT

yeah i think it all depends on speed of the SD card cause there are some that run faster than others.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Tardis + Sonic Screwdriver
Carrier: Torchwood
Threadstarter

The Doctor is keeping up the good workThe Doctor is keeping up the good workThe Doctor is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by j10376 View Post
This is not a valid vote without benchmarks or some technical specs. The users with Diamonds need to perform a benchmark on the diamonds internal 4GB and compare them to the ultra sd cards benchmarks.
Here is some more info I found: (PDAPHONEHOME.COM)
http://www.samsung.com/global/busine..._MoviNAND.html

Seem like the Diamond internal is as fast as the fastest removable SD out right now. If I am not misreading.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: axim, PPC-6700, Mogul, Touch, touch pro

j10376 is becoming a great contributor

austinabrady, thats exactly what I have seen and read so that is why I posted my comment you can't just vote on which one is faster you need benchmarks this will determine what is faster good post austinabrady.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:17 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Agreed, interesting post.

What I noticed from the link you provided to Samsung about the moviNAND is that it uses the standard MMC interface up to 52mb/sec, meaning it's the same interface you would use for an external card.

Now what determins the speed would be the actual memory used.. Seeing that the spec sheets says you can use "legacy" chips, would mean that it's a cost cutting option and if strapped for cash or to lower the cost they MAY use slower lower cost memory.

From what I read people with GSM versions of both state the PRO is slightly slower "sluggish" (it also features more), but who knows what was used in the CDMA versions and what Sprint opted for.

-CC

P.S. Also stated earlier was that it could actually be a drop in replacement for an upgrade. now hopefully Sprint's Diamond opted for using the 8GB compatible upgrade..

4GB

KMCEG0000Ax81.7~1.95 2.7~3.6Max. 52MHz153FBGA11.5x13MP
KMBLG0000Mx81.7~1.95 2.7~3.6Max. 52MHz169FBGA12x18MP

8GB

KMCMG0000Mx81.7~1.95 2.7~3.6Max. 52MHz169FBGA12x18MP

Last edited by clockcycle; 09-22-2008 at 11:27 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond