PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Remote Desktop on Diamond

I have a static IP from Comcast and I'm on a residential account. I got mine via special circumstances though...

We used to have InsightBB, an excellent midwest ISP. They had download rates of 19500kbps and upload of 4000-6000kbps.

In more common terms:
Download: 2.38MBps [yes, that's mega BYTES not bits]
Upload: 750KBps

Insight was a very friendly company, they had no bandwidth caps, they offered many complimentary features including a static IP upon request, and they also didn't spy on your traffic. They did not comply with subpoenas until you were notified, and they would always resolve issues promptly.

Well, Comcast decided to buy Insight.
Now my speeds are .9MBps download and 150KBps upload.
I pay more.
I stay on hold.
I have a bandwidth cap.
I am pissed...

Well, we did call them up and ask for a static IP. They said its only for business accounts. I was so pissed off at the time, and I pretty much said something along the lines of:
'You guys just come in here, buy out the competition, raise prices, lower the quality of service, and take away what I had before? How about you get your heads out of your asses and realize that if you don't stop treating the customer like **** and giving us all scripted responses, that you are going to lose business. And I hope you do! I hope Comcast goes bankrupt so I can prove how wrong your policies are!'

I got a long silence.

Then the supervisor picked up.

I said the same thing, except with a calm voice.

He gave me a static IP for free.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

bones20 is becoming a great contributor

Enabling Remote desktop server services in windows vista:
http://www.unet.fi/fransblog/2007/08...-home-premium/

To connect from outside your local LAN:
1. get a free DNS host at http://www.no-ip.com
2. Configure your desktop for a preferred IP
3. Do port forwarding for RDC port 3389 to your desktop IP in router configuration.
Now connect using the no-ip hostname instead of IP address. Woala! So effectively you could do an RDC if both your PPC and computer are connected to internet regardless of the local network.

Limitations:
1. your router IP should remain static i. e. if you restart/reset your router, you will have to reconfigure your host
2. Desktop IP should remain static.

Last edited by bones20; 10-03-2008 at 07:59 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Flat-Out-Addicted
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Sprint

syanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones20 View Post

3. Do port forwarding for RDC port 3389 to your desktop IP in router configuration.
Now connect using the no-ip hostname instead of IP address. Woala! So effectively you could do an RDC if both your PPC and computer are connected to internet regardless of the local network.

Limitations:
1. your router IP should remain static i. e. if you restart/reset your router, you will have to reconfigure your host
problem is i dont have a static ip :(
Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

there is software out there that you can run on your pc to constantly update a DNS if you cant get a static IP. I used to use it ages ago when I hosted teamspeak servers for WoW
Old 10-03-2008, 09:17 PM
exi
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

exi is just getting started

Also, depending on your provider and modem habits (i.e., restarting it a lot?), your "dynamic" IP might not even change for long, long periods of time.

I've had IPs in the past that stayed put for months, no static IP service required.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

bones20 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by syanni85 View Post
problem is i dont have a static ip :(
If you are using a wireless router, you can configure your desktop network connection for a preferred IP. So you can maintain a fairly static desktop IP and in this configuration, you typically dont reset your router too often.

Of course, this is by no means a reliable arrangement for critical applications.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Supersonic/Evo

mr.squonk is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to mr.squonk

I have heard stories that customers with cable access that have had the same IP address for over a year...even with what the company did on their end, power issues, and all one would expect to experience. The company I work for has lease times on IP addresses, as most do, and as long as the modem reconnects while the TTL lease has not expired, it will likely pull the same IP address. Hope this helps explain at least a little regarding IP addresses.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Flat-Out-Addicted

syanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones20 View Post

Limitations:
TRAIL, ERROR, TRIAL, ERROR...

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! THIS FINALLY WORKED!!!! I thought it was a lost cause! I am very thankful!!

AND THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME OUT!!! I learned alot behind the scenes of xp now... still a newb at this stuff tho lol... i really appreciate all your patience brothers!!!

whew... time to stream pandora
Old 10-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Flat-Out-Addicted

ah man... all of a sudden its not letting audio through like earlier today! shoot... well i'ma play with it and figure it out...

i'm so glad i got this workin tho!

EDIT: I got so frustrated with not getting this to work, i formatted my laptop and started from scratch... THEN i followed that great instruction set with the DNS stuff and got it working...

I guess all i needed to do was install every driver i needed before i got the audio to come through!!! WOO HOO! I got my pandora.com until they actually make a pocket pc app!

Last edited by syanni85; 10-04-2008 at 01:24 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond