PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 08:27 PM
garyt

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Files install into Device storage not Internal Storage

Hi all,

I've had my Touch Diamond for about a week now and with the help of this forum, this thing really rocks! I do have a problem that I cant find an answer to though.

When installing CAB files I get the choice to store in Device or Internal Storage. This seems to be very hit and miss for me even when I have choosen to have files installed into Internal Storage, they sometimess install into the Device directory "Program Files". Looks like this directory was created to handle some of the Sprint default program like, NAV and TV.

I'm using ActiveSync to transfer the CAB's from computer to the Internal Storage for installation and I'm using the stock Sprint ROM. I'm starting to run out of storage space in the Device due to this problem, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
G.T.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

marcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Files install into Device storage not Internal Storage

Sometimes the cab install will override the choice to install to Internal Storage. Some apps have to be installed on device. It's just the way it is.
There may be an actual bug with alot of older apps looking for a hard coded path called storage card, but we all know that's no longer the case with this new "internal storage" and some of the older apps just look for either storage card or device. If only one is found of the two it's looking for, the cabs takes the safe route and installs to the device.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:16 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

NAV and TV will install to Internal Storage just fine.

Opera and Picture Mail will not - the cabs in the Diamond Rom are not written correctly - they will ignore the user's preference and will install to Device memory regardless of what you specify. (e.g. Opera doesn't use %InstallDir% - it has hard-coded "\windows..." paths)

I have modified a newer (2392) build of Opera that installs to Internal Storage - let me know if you want it.

Last edited by willysp; 10-04-2008 at 09:18 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:04 AM
garyt

Thanks for answers, brings up a couple more questions though.

1) It looks like the NAV and TV CABs are in the windows directory, will I be able to just copy/past to internal storage and re-install?

2) I don't see an uninstall option for either NAV or TV to get them out of the device memory? How do get rid of these.

Thanks.

G.T.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:37 AM
A Geek For Eons

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Thanks for answers, brings up a couple more questions though.

1) It looks like the NAV and TV CABs are in the windows directory, will I be able to just copy/past to internal storage and re-install?

2) I don't see an uninstall option for either NAV or TV to get them out of the device memory? How do get rid of these.

Thanks.

G.T.
It sounds like you've allowed customizations to run after a hard reset, and therefore all 4 of Nav, TV, PM and Opera are installed to device memory, with no entries in "Remove Programs". Correct?

During the customization process, besides forcing the installs to device memory, Sprint also erases the uninstall entries, so that you can't uninstall them. Nice of Sprint, huh?

You'll need to do a hard reset, then not let customizations run (do a soft reset when you see the customizations 3-second warning; and you'll have to do this soft reset twice - wait for the second 3-second warning).

Then you can copy the cabs from \windows to \Internal Storage. Then Nav and TV will install wherever you want. However, they still won't show up as uninstallable unless you use slightly modified cabs with "Uninstallable" set to "True".

Also, there is a newer version of the TV cab floating around.

Let me know if you want to try some updated cabs (all uninstallable, newer TV, Opera modified to be installable to Internal Storage). But, you need to be willing to do a hard reset to use them.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:45 AM
tmz
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO & Pro2
Carrier: sprint

tmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willysp View Post
It sounds like you've allowed customizations to run after a hard reset, and therefore all 4 of Nav, TV, PM and Opera are installed to device memory, with no entries in "Remove Programs". Correct?

During the customization process, besides forcing the installs to device memory, Sprint also erases the uninstall entries, so that you can't uninstall them. Nice of Sprint, huh?

You'll need to do a hard reset, then not let customizations run (do a soft reset when you see the customizations 3-second warning; and you'll have to do this soft reset twice - wait for the second 3-second warning).

Then you can copy the cabs from \windows to \Internal Storage. Then Nav and TV will install wherever you want. However, they still won't show up as uninstallable unless you use slightly modified cabs with "Uninstallable" set to "True".

Also, there is a newer version of the TV cab floating around.

Let me know if you want to try some updated cabs (all uninstallable, newer TV, Opera modified to be installable to Internal Storage). But, you need to be willing to do a hard reset to use them.
I would love to give those cab's a try , if you can post them.

Thanks T M Z
Old 10-05-2008, 12:27 PM
A Geek For Eons

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
I would love to give those cab's a try , if you can post them.

Thanks T M Z
Here you go:

ftp://ppcgeeks.com/Diamond/Users/willysp/

All should be uninstallable, but I haven't tried to do so with all of them.

TV - a newer version than the one in the ROM. Will install to Internal Storage. Found this either here or at xda, so credit goes elsewhere.
NAV - same as one in ROM. Will install to Internal Storage.
PM - same as one in ROM. Will install only to Device memory. (I may 'fix' this later today)
Opera - a newer build than the one in the ROM. Will install only to Internal Storage (I found it at xda, and changed the hard-coded paths from "Storage Card" to "Internal Storage"). Can't use TF3D to start it (I need to find and fix a link), but you can start it from Programs. Also, haven't thoroughly tested it, but seems to work fine. It does leave a few small files in \windows.

Installing TV, NAV and Opera to Internal Storage saves a lot of Storage Memory!
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:57 PM
garyt

Hey Willy,

Thanks for the CAB's. Since I very rarely use SprintTV, I took a very unelegant approach of getting it out of Device store.

1) Using Total Commander deleted SprintTV directory/files.
2) Cleaned Registry with MemMaid.
3) Took off SprintTV from the TouchFlo menu with TF3D config
4) Soft resent and then installed the SprintTV CAB from the ftp site. Placed a shortcut for SprintTV in the TouchFlo Programs.

This worked for me, it does hose the SprintTV link in TouchFlo, but as I mentioned I rarely watch SprintTV.

I've never did a hard reset on the phone at this point, I'm sure this is in the near future . At this point I have this thing darnded near perfect and realy don't want to hard reset and lose setting/progams.

Again, thanks for the help!

GT

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond