PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 09:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

proplayer44 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Email with Telus

What are the Telus users thoughts on how email works on this phone. Originally, I set up a cogeco account, two gMail accounts and a Hotmail account on this using the built in email. I had nothing but problems. Usually I would get authentication errors or I could receive and not send. For the life of me I could not send from these accounts. I'm in IT, I have little experience with email on phones but I'm very aware of terms like POP, IMAP, SMTP and authentication. I know my passwords very well and verified them over and over but NADA. I also had the same problems whether I was on EV network or my home WIFI. Eventually I set up three accounts using the Telus mobility email function.

That worked. I could send and receive however, it is very delayed. It can be delayed by a few minutes, 30 minutes and hour or sometimes several hours. My Co-Worker is on the same distribution list as I and we receive several of the same emails. He has another type of phone with another provider (I won't say the phone in case I get pooped on) and he almost always receives the email instantly. Our job function is support which often requires a quick response in mail. I bought the phone to be able to stay on top of this but the phone has been a disappointment thus far because I'm no better off than before I bought the phone.

Anyone with Telus have the same experiences? Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community
Re: Email with Telus

Outgoing smtp ports have to be:

smtp.telus.net
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond, Dell X50v

Rassal is a n00b

I had all sorts of problem also myself, but... being IT myself... i also taught i knew everything about configuring... until i found out how to input non standard ports into the configuration.

1- I got my Hotmail account sync, but you don't have to do anything to configure this, only configure your messenger (live) info, and there is an option to sync your mail automaticly with this... this solves the hotmail problem

2- I got my own web domain and mail servers from BlueHost in the US. It was known to me that the outgoing mail server resides on the same box as the POP server, but not on port 25, but 26. Since i couldn't find a way to get the port inside the option, i found out that you have to enter your address like this: mail.yourserver.com:26 (this solved my problem of sending mail without errors)

3- My Videotron account, was entered and all settings were detected using their auto configure option.. all i had to do is enter my account name and password, and everything worked out of the box.

4- Where i had lots of problems was when i used the Telus Desktop Redirector to sync my Exchange account at work on my phone.... this was a ***** and it's not telus fault, it's Vitto's fault for providing so little information on how to configure their application. I solved all my problems upgrading my Outlook to 2007 on my work PC. Since, my corporate account syncs like a charm.

5- Make sure you have a good reception before claiming the email doesn't work

All in all, every error i had was always because i entered the wrong password, wrong server, wrong port... in every case i was wrong... So if you keep that attitude that you are an IT guy and blame the phone or Telus for it, make sure you double check everything, because i taught otherwise, and i proved myself wrong... i think you will find the same...

See ya
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks guys, I have setup a couple of the accounts without using the telus mobility email. We will see how that goes. I used smtp.telus.net as my outgoing server.

One way I knew reception wasn't the issue was because when I was at home on wifi, I still couldn't get my email to be delivered in a timely fashion.

I've run a few test emails and it seems to be working good up to yet. Thanks again for your quick responses guys.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700 > Touch > Diamond > TP > TP2
Carrier: Telus Mobility

shtewps is keeping up the good workshtewps is keeping up the good work

Im on the phone with data support as I type this.

My problem is that ever since I swapped equipment from the touch to the diamond there have been severe delays when pushing mail to my handset using telus mobile email.

We'll see how it goes.. I am an IT guy as well and unless there is anything in the hardware that would effect the way email is transmitted, this has to be a network issue because all mail settings are stored within the telus mobile email profiles on their servers.

Ill post an update in a few.

Data didnt do ****, still not receiving email in a timely fashion on my device. Its been almost an hour now since I sent a test email.

Ugh

Last edited by shtewps; 09-19-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

So today I'm getting this message in Gmail only when attempting to send. I can still receive just fine. I had made no changes to my account.

The message (s) could not be sent. Check that you have network coverage and that your account information is correct. Then try sending again.

I've rebooted my phone soft and hard.
Although I never touched my settings I checked them anyway.
I went to gmail on my computer and logged successfully with my password (had previous issue with this) logging in from PC resolved it, not this time.

I'm stuck. Don't know what else to check. I knew it would F up eventually. Any ideas?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond