PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2008, 03:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

racedog is keeping up the good workracedog is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Is the signal strength better on the diamond than the touch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcclark333 View Post
I see you are in Kansas, where you at? I am in Lenexa & my EVDO on the 6700 always drifts back and forth between EVDO & 1x, which causes me lots of problems.
I am in Abilene but I've had an EVDO connection (solidly) since it finally was put in a few months ago. Up until now it never switched to 1x and I did manage to get 400 to 600 kb data speed (down). This thing comes up as EVDO when I turn it on but when I use it it goes back to 1x. I'm not a very happy camper and this is something that I can't and won't live with. I will go back to my Touch and return the Diamond unless they can fix this.

R
Old 09-17-2008, 04:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

racedog is keeping up the good workracedog is keeping up the good work

Ok, things are getting better. The first thing I did was to get a prl update, then pulled the battery and put it back in. Now, I seem to be getting about the same signal that I did on my Touch. EVDO is staying up and browsing is going relatively fast (for this area). Phone connections are now better and also comparable to the Touch. If this holds, I'll keep the Diamond but I'll give it a few days to see how it works out.

Real test will come starting tonight as I will be going back down to where our RV is parked for a big 5 day music festival. Originally I was parked in a campground on the grounds where the festival is going to take place but the river, which runs right next to the campgrounds overflowed and flooded the area and we have to get out quick, even had to be pulled out by tractor because of mud and we relocated to a state park about 15 miles away but in an area that is VERY marginal but when my wife and I were there last Sunday our phones were working even though our signal was hovering between no bars and 1 bar. We'll see how the Diamond does down there tonight when I get back to the RV.

Hoping we're a go on this because I love the size of the Diamond and the TouchFlo3D is kinda neat but my big deal is size. I hated carrying a large device because I always have it with me and its a pain to carry in my hand all the time and I won't even go into what I think carrying a phone on a belt looks like! This one can go into a pair of jeans (not too tight jeans) or a shirt pocket and I like that a lot.

R
Old 09-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

killerkhatiby009 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkillerkhatiby009 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkillerkhatiby009 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to killerkhatiby009

you could always try calling retetions (*2 and at the voice prompt say cancel contract) and complain about bad signal and say you are going to cancel and they will send you a sprint airave mini cell tower free of charge. although you might have to call more than once, and it only gets 1x signal not EVDO.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

jaggrey is keeping up the good workjaggrey is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to jaggrey

Someone could always try a ##33284# and get the signal status too.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Threadstarter

sckbassg3 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptouch View Post
Try calling Sprint or going into a store and tell them that you want to do a PRL update. After they submit it you just have to dial *2 and wait on the phone for 1 minute and your done. That should help, it should be done every 6 months. Oh yeah and theres no charge for it as well.
I've actually done that already. I'm pretty sure that only affects the Roaming towers. I have noticed that I do get better signal strength when roaming now, but it doesn't seem to affect my Sprint signal. I've read threads on helping the signal strength, but I think it might just be a combination of the area I'm in, and the phone. I'm definitly open to suggestions, as long as I don't have to force roaming all the time.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

It's got about the same reception, but it seems to be able to hold on to a call and kind of flake in areas where I used to just get a dropped call. So that's a good thing.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

jaggrey is keeping up the good workjaggrey is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to jaggrey

That's what I was wondering. There are places that I drop calls with consistently on my Touch that I didn't with my Treo before it. If the Diamond (or Pro in my case) at least holds the call, that I think is a good thing.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Lovin some Droid!!!!
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: VZW

Reef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPReef48 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Reef48

Under settings/system, there is a option to update your prl if available.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Surround
Carrier: AT&T

Tiberius85 is keeping up the good workTiberius85 is keeping up the good work

I dont know.. hard to say really. I get EV-DO pretty much everywhere here in CT. Right now im out in the middle of the woods and I get it with a strong signal. At my office 10 miles down the road I got it all the time with my Mogul, occasionally it would drop to 1X in the basement. Overall it appears to be the same. Signals can fluctuate based on other external factors too. Its not even close to being iPhone 3G difference.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

iamjasonc is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkhatiby009 View Post
you could always try calling retetions (*2 and at the voice prompt say cancel contract) and complain about bad signal and say you are going to cancel and they will send you a sprint airave mini cell tower free of charge. although you might have to call more than once, and it only gets 1x signal not EVDO.
seriously!?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond