PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

marklyn is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question on Diamond storage

Coming from a Mogul, I had a 4 gb memory card so I kept all of my extra files, and cloned backups on my 'storage card' which of course is seperate from my main storage where actual programs are installed. This was particularly convenient for me since I could run my SPB Clone software and produce a cloned image of all the installed programs, registry, etc. from my main storage.
With Diamond's internal total of 4 gb memory I wonder if there is some difference similar to the environment I described above. I'm comparing the environment like two hard drives on a computer. One drive where all the programs are installed, tweaks exactly like you want them, etc... and the other drive where I store my files and backups, etc.

Does anyone know if the Diamond storage model is like that? I hope so because, for me, cloning *everything* on a particular drive/partition (whatever you'd call it on a mobile device) is what I prefer to do over a backup where you choose files/folders, etc.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker

bridic is keeping up the good workbridic is keeping up the good work
Re: Question on Diamond storage

I do not know 100% but I would say that you should be able to set it up as you would your current card.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

maryanne is a n00b

I am very interested in how people will back up their phone. I used the sprite backup with my Touch. I hope this "clone" is EASY to do if it works.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

yea, i with my mogul, I always copied my pim.vol file and i am using the same contact list from my q if syncing 'get better with vista, I don't know I can deal with the internal only storage.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

marklyn is a n00b

I prefer the cloning system better than the backup. Cloning a partition/hard drive basically makes an exact 'image' of the partition/drive. The reason why I prefer it is because if I make various program settings, reg tweaks, install and configure new programs, change skins, etc. (whatever), an image backup (clone) captures all of that and creates a nice file you can use to restore from. I usually keep 3-4 revisions as I make various changes so if I need to 'fall back' on one, I can.
With a regular backup, you typically need to configure it to back up specific files/folders and occasionally some files may have certain attributes (hidden, ROM only, etc.) that can get missed by conventional backup programs.
Cloning software is expensive but more complete and useful for mass deployments (configure one/deploy many). Since our company has this software, it is what I prefer and far superior (in my opinion) but not cost effective for a regular home user.

On a slightly different side note, I still use Pimbackup to backup my *.vol file for those times when something weird happens with my activsync and my contacts get screwed up.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Blabber mouth

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

oh I dont use pimbackup I manually copy and paste the pim.vol file softreset and poof, contacts are all there.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

nmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Cool Re: Question on Diamond storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelious2 View Post
oh I dont use pimbackup I manually copy and paste the pim.vol file softreset and poof, contacts are all there.
Where is the pim.vol housed ? I tried that and managed to kill all my contacts when I resynced with Groupwise.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Blabber mouth

its in the root folder of your device you might have to turn on the view all files. basically every week or so I copy the pim.vol file to my sd card, and if I reflash, you rename the pim.vol file on the phone, then copy the file from your sd card to your phone. after a softreset all the contacts appear. I know pimbackup might be a little easier, but I like the fact that I can pop my sd card into even a stock phone and have all my contacts instantly without worrying about install compatibilities (the winmo 6 - 6.1 fiasco with a bunch of programs comes to mind.)
Old 09-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Lurker

ronadam is a n00b

I agree with Bridic, don't think there will be a problem, just try it and let us know.
But a question; backupping the contacts is not that hard, a lot ways to do the job, but backup/restore your accounts/password settings [ outlook ]is what i'am searching for and with no succes, does anyone found a solution for this or a trick ??
Old 09-15-2008, 02:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (Telus)
Carrier: Telus

CNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

It does act as a separate storage area from the rest of the memory. When you hard reset it, it does NOT wipe out the 4GB of memory. If you chose to Clear Storage, you're given the option of clearing it or not.

Clint

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond