PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Does pressing your Diamond D-pad RING work consistently?
Pressing any side of the ring registers consistently 4 22.22%
One or more sides of the ring do not register consistently 4 22.22%
One or more sides do not register at all 4 22.22%
Duh - you're not supposed to press on the ring! 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond CDMA
Carrier: MTS Allstream

doughamm is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CDMA Diamond D-Pad: Working as expected?

I expected on my new Diamond to be able to press directly on the raised circular ring around the center button for left/right/up/down. While it works for 3 directions, it doesn't work well at all for Right. Instead I found that I have to click in the blank area between the center button, back, and hang-up buttons to get Right to register consistently.

This wouldn't bug me if it the intuitive press-on-the-ring method didn't work in the other 3 directions!

So I went to my Telus store tonight to swap the unit out. They were sold out; shouldn't have been a surprise, except the inept sales guy earlier in the day claimed they had one that they'd reserve for me...should have known better than to believe it. But I did try one of the other salespeople's Diamonds, and his was even worse...it wasn't just inconsistent - clicking the right side of the ring didn't work at all. He just assumed pressing in the area between the buttons was the correct way.

And now I'm starting to second-guess myself...maybe that IS the right way, but I just can't see why they'd design it that way! But to have two act the same way...

So while I'm waiting for more stock to arrive, please let me know whether you're experiencing similar behavior, and if so from which side of the D-pad. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Re: CDMA Diamond D-Pad: Working as expected?

i too am having the exact same issue. Telus Diamond with Telus stock software.

but thinking about it. my HTC S640 did this at first too until i worked the buttons in after a few days. im going to ride mine out and ill report back if it changes.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

theclerk74 is keeping up the good worktheclerk74 is keeping up the good work

I think I saw on a Youtube review of the GSM version that the correct way to use the D-Pad was to press outside the circle. Kind of like how you described pressing the the right side.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Retired Staff

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclerk74 View Post
I think I saw on a Youtube review of the GSM version that the correct way to use the D-Pad was to press outside the circle. Kind of like how you described pressing the the right side.
the ring is meant to be pressed you can tell there is a button under there by the feel. if it wasn't it would be solid. wouldn't click
Old 09-03-2008, 01:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: TELUS

dj_mysha is keeping up the good workdj_mysha is keeping up the good work

Ha, I've had my Diamond for over 2 weeks now and I've only noticed this issue having read your post. Shows you how much I use the d-pad, right?
Yup. Up, down, and left all work either pressed right on the ring or just outside. Right only works if pressed just outside the ring. Weird.
Like I said, i never use the d-pad, so I'm not really worried about it.
Myke...
Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

I think it's more of a sensor placement issue. If i press on the flat black space in any direction, it always works. If i press on the ring, it only works as you say. I believe the ring is only for scrolling, but Telus has disabled this, it has been enabled in the ROMs though.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:46 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Weird question, you guys try using it with the other hand? Perhaps you're all right handed and by using the right hand you actually press the outer edges up down left but don't get enough of the right edge to have the same effect?

I rarely use my dpads because of the issue with the apache's failing eventually by leaving the phone face down or excessive use. (this has never happened to any of my moguls tho)

-CC
Old 09-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
Weird question, you guys try using it with the other hand? Perhaps you're all right handed and by using the right hand you actually press the outer edges up down left but don't get enough of the right edge to have the same effect?

I rarely use my dpads because of the issue with the apache's failing eventually by leaving the phone face down or excessive use. (this has never happened to any of my moguls tho)

-CC
im right handed and its my right d-pad button that u have to click about 4 times before it does anything. so this debunks your theory
Old 09-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond CDMA
Carrier: MTS Allstream
Threadstarter

doughamm is a n00b

Here are my two theories:

1) Bad batch of componentry or builds;

2) The Sony PSP originally shipped with one of the fire buttons intentionally gimped, because to fit everything in the case they had to offset the contact point by a bit. So one button never worked consistently like the others. They eventually undid this hokey workaround for a bad design. I wonder if the CDMA Touch had to undergo a similar hack job to fit everything in, and there's something different about the area under and beside the right D-Pad which results in this behavior.

I've got a 30-day return policy and Winnipeg is sold out of Diamonds anyway, so I'll try again in a couple of weeks to see if another one acts the same. I'm glad the Diamond is selling so well - it's a great phone!

-Doug

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond