PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Must use stylus?

OK.. I was in a Sprint store today and discussing the pros and cons of the diamond vs the pro... the guy was pretty adamant that the onscreen keyboard would be too difficult to use comfortably without using the stylus. He said that is why you want the Pro.. you can't use your fingers on the diamond it would be like trying to touch the centro keys without the "feeling".

Now he was talking to my buddy who is a man with large hands and I'm a woman but... is this just overkill for his personal preference? or is it really that irritating to try using the on screen keyboard?
Old 08-30-2008, 04:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

leongus is just getting started
Re: Must use stylus?

it comes down to personal preference. i personally use onscreen touch keypad with t9 without the need for the stylus. its super easy. the bulkiness of the hardware keyboard is also a con for me.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:00 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongus View Post
it comes down to personal preference. i personally use onscreen touch keypad with t9 without the need for the stylus. its super easy. the bulkiness of the hardware keyboard is also a con for me.
im with you, i don't text much and i use resco keyboard with my fingers when i do. also bought touch for reason of less bulky. and same reason i want diamond over pro. different strokes for different fokes.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: mogul

samsam is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
im with you, i don't text much and i use resco keyboard with my fingers when i do. also bought touch for reason of less bulky. and same reason i want diamond over pro. different strokes for different fokes.
personal preference... dont u love america? Im getting the pro and i want a keyboard.... cant wait until we can have the best of both worlds. thin shape and maybe a laser projected keyboard!! reminds me of the bogus 01 phone rumor that is going around.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint

madman16420 is keeping up the good workmadman16420 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to madman16420

i love full keyboard i text way to much to use on screen keyboard

Old 08-30-2008, 05:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch Diamond

leongus is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsam View Post
personal preference... dont u love america? Im getting the pro and i want a keyboard.... cant wait until we can have the best of both worlds. thin shape and maybe a laser projected keyboard!! reminds me of the bogus 01 phone rumor that is going around.
laser keyboard? what is this 01 phone? is it a ppc? where did you hear about this?
Old 08-30-2008, 07:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vogue
Carrier: bell

frentraken is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongus View Post
laser keyboard? what is this 01 phone? is it a ppc? where did you hear about this?
Type in 01 phone in google, first should be the count down page with images, others will be articles on it. Thing looks awesome wish it were real.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

quarky42 is keeping up the good workquarky42 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to quarky42

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenieMINI View Post
OK.. I was in a Sprint store today and discussing the pros and cons of the diamond vs the pro... the guy was pretty adamant that the onscreen keyboard would be too difficult to use comfortably without using the stylus. He said that is why you want the Pro.. you can't use your fingers on the diamond it would be like trying to touch the centro keys without the "feeling".

Now he was talking to my buddy who is a man with large hands and I'm a woman but... is this just overkill for his personal preference? or is it really that irritating to try using the on screen keyboard?

To each their own. I've seen some youtube videos and some reviews of the on screen keyboards of the Diamond and it looks easy enough to use.

I also read that someone who got to see a developmental version of the phone said that it had haptic feedback that you could enable and it was easy to use with a small vibrate for each button you push... it provided enough tactile feedback to make it comfortable to use for him.

Your mileage may vary. YMMV.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint
Threadstarter

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions
thanks everyone's input is pretty much what I had thought the guy was quite adamant that a stylus had to be used since the keyboard was so small but I figured it was his preference. I needed more opinions to convince my friend.

BrennB
Old 08-31-2008, 12:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

quarky42 is keeping up the good workquarky42 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to quarky42

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenieMINI View Post
thanks everyone's input is pretty much what I had thought the guy was quite adamant that a stylus had to be used since the keyboard was so small but I figured it was his preference. I needed more opinions to convince my friend.
Look up the video reviews of the Touch Diamond and Touch Pro. They show you very clearly how the buttons look on the screen.

As for onscreen keyboard options, there is the: full qwerty keyboard (smallest keys), compact qwerty keyboard (bigger keys, but two letters per key so at worst you have to double tap to get the letter you want), and the compact phone style 3 letter per key style.

The Compcat Qwerty with T9 predictive is a great combo... because the predictive doesn't overwrite what you are writing, but instead gives you a small sub menu of words to choose from as you type.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond