PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 04:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo, Palm Pre, Galaxy Tab
Carrier: sprint

glidersgalore is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to glidersgalore
DIamond review/new info camparsion

I was out website jumping and came across this review, not sure if anyone has seen it or anything.

http://www.electronista.com/reviews/...diamond-1.html
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Chef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: DIamond review/new info camparsion

Great review. Seems to be really unbiased and accurate review. I think at the end of the day this phone may be a "miss" for HTC as it had hoped it would be well recieved by the average consumer. However, I think those on this forum will find it to be just what they need: a tuner phone. It has a great foundation but still allows those that know what they're doing to enjoy the phone (i.e. switching between WM6.1 and TouchFLO).
Old 08-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

that was an excellent review, i'm looking forward to his thoughts on the touch pro... hopefully things will go from good to better...

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 08-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Diamond

al3azim is keeping up the good workal3azim is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidersgalore View Post
I was out website jumping and came across this review, not sure if anyone has seen it or anything.

http://www.electronista.com/reviews/...diamond-1.html
Personally I do not think we should be comparing the Diamond to the Iphone. They are different devices. One is a full blown PDA and the other is just a regular phone like the Instinct for example. That's just my opinion.
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on Earth. So what the hell, leap! -- Peter McWilliams
Old 08-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

I'd say it was a pretty good review as well. Although it does actually come with a 4 to 1 USB hub, that has USB to USB, 2.5mm and 3.5mm as well as a charging port.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:57 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment from Vouge

Mr_wrong_0 is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to Mr_wrong_0

consumers are blending the line between "smart phones" and "Multimedia phones" everyday. I agree they shouldn't be judged in the same light. In my observation most people who are looking at getting a smart phone don't need all the functions and would do well with a multimedia phone, but the people who are truly looking for a smart phone are not impressed with most iphone look alikes because they lack "crutial" features. It's all about how informed the customer is.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: I have Evolved.

chappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Any phone that's touchscreen only is going to be compared to the iPhone, no matter if it's a WinMo device, or something like the Instinct, or the VU by LG. The iPhone raised the bar, even if it does have its flaws and drawbacks, it's a great device. I would probably never get an iPhone, but I'm glad it's here, because of it, we have cool things like the Diamond and who knows what else coming out in the next year or so.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment from Vouge

Mr_wrong_0 is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to Mr_wrong_0

The instinct and the vu are great iphone comparisons. But some people are trying to compare the touch and the iphone. That's just wrong- but the worst part is that they like the iphone more because "it suites what they want to do better than the WM based touch". OF COURSE IT DOES because you don't need a smart phone you want a multimedia phone. (Can you tell I sell phones?)
Old 08-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

Chef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regularChef Ben is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I think the comparison here is not iPhone vs Diamond but rather the individual components each one is made of. I agree with the review that it's a bit ridiculous to switch between TouchFLO and WM6.1 in the middle of a task and sometimes that requires the use of the stylus due to the small print on WM6.1. However, TouchXperience should take care of all that.
I also agree with the review about comparing touch screens and their respective responsiveness and overall effeciency. Bottom line, they are both touch screens that put a heavy influence on being able to navigate by only using your finger. Apples to Apples (no pun intended)...iPhone has got that on lock.

Now if you want to talk about overall functionality of the device and third party apps and yada yada yada...the Diamond is the "victor" (again, no pun intended).

I think the Diamond is great and I plan to buy it in the 1st hour of its release.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

Draiko is keeping up the good workDraiko is keeping up the good work

I don't really agree with the review. They said that HTC's TouchFLO 3D causes the user to constantly rethink the interface. Em, I've used the iPhone and the iPhone 3G... I don't see how TouchFLO 3D causes the user to rethink the interface any more than the iPhone OS does.

It's even simpler to do things with TouchFLO 3D than the iPhone...

Phone function UI layout = bar on bottom of screen
Switch categories = horizontal finger swipe, touch icon on bottom menu bar, or slide finger across bottom menu bar... take yoru pick and use whatever you want to use. You're not limited to just one method.

finger swipe controls for TouchFLO 3D:

swipe Up = next item
swipe down = previous item
swipe left = previous category
swipe right = next category

Start the Phone = press green phone button

Opera browser = same basic controls as safari

Zoom in = turn wheel clockwise
Zoom out = turn wheel counter-clockwise

What the CRAP is so hard about that?

iPhone controls:

Slide to Unlock
No info on main screen, just the time and signal strength... the rest is a menu.
Swipe left to see more menu items
Swipe right to see more menu items
Touch icon to start program or move to another category
Category UI layout and user controls change moreso than on the Diamond.

The Diamond gives you easier and faster access to more information (weather, email previews, text messages, web, music, etc...)

Say you have an iPhone and you want to check what time your next appointment is. You need to turn on the phone, slide to unlock, tap the calendar icon, and finally tap on today's date. You need some info on a text message so now you have to hit the home screen button and tap the SMS icon and then pick which person may have sent you that info. It's not in SMS so now you need to check your email... hit the home screen button, tap the email icon and select the email account to see your email and use your free hand to flick through a list (only seeing sender, subject, and date). Ok... found the info. Now, you want to check the weather... you'll need to hit the home screen button (AGAIN) to back out and then tap the weather icon. Now you want to play music while browsing the web... hit the home screen, tap the iPod icon, pick your song, hit play, then tap the home screen button, tap the safari icon (then if you want to go to a favorite you have to tap the bookmark icon and flick down to find it).

On the Diamond, the same process goes like this:

Just turn on the phone, your next appointment is right there. Done. Quickly swipe finger from right to left and there's your email (sender, date, subject, and first few lines of the message). Flick up to go to the next message and down to go back. Time to check the text messages. Just swipe from right to left. Swipe up to see the next message. Now you want to check the weather, so you tap the sun icon on the bottom menu. done. Now you want to listen to some music while browsing the web. Tap the music icon on the bottom and select your song. Then tap the globe icon and tap the Earth (OR flick through the list of your favorites that are listed below the earth and tap the one you want). Done.

How is that harder and/or more confusing than the iPhone?
This post has been thanked 4 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond