PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 04:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch by HTC™
Carrier: Sprint

joe3789 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC Touch Diamond gets a new ROM

First look: HTC Touch Diamond gets a new ROM

by Joel Evans posted on August 1, 2008 4:02 pm

I’ve written before about the HTC Touch Diamond a number of times. In my initial review I pointed out a number of issues I was having with the device, including connectivity and general UI issues. HTC released an official ROM that fixed a number of my biggest gripes, but a bunch still remained.
Earlier this week HTC provided me an updated ROM (1.93) for the HTC Touch Diamond. Does this latest ROM finally deliver the perfect mobile device? Read on.
Device sluggishness
While the previous ROM made the majority of the sluggishness disappear, this latest version allows the device to perform like it does in the commercials. There’s absolutely no delay between transitions in TouchFLO 3D, and touching the screen works the first time, every time. I even treated my son to an impromptu photo slideshow this morning–something I never would have tried before since he is only four and doesn’t have the patience for interface delays.

I’m also noticing that launching applications is among the fastest I’ve seen on a Windows Mobile device. I downloaded and then launched a 160 page Word document. It took about 10 seconds to fully load up, which is on par with how long it took my desktop to do the same. Navigating it once loaded is exactly as one would hope–fast!

Connectivity
Thankfully this latest ROM seems to still work really well with my Wi-Fi access point. Not only that but it did a great job of recognizing and connecting to my local Panera’s free Wi-Fi. It actually performed this feat faster than my iPhone does, even though I have 3G on the iPhone and don’t really need the Panera Wi-Fi for it anymore.
Speaking of 3G, the Touch Diamond still doesn’t do 3G in the United States but this latest ROM does enable the 850 MHZ GSM band, bringing it up to quad band spec.
Opera
I’m not sure if it’s just overall speed improvements but Opera is even faster now. I would say that it’s probably rendering some sites faster than Safari on the iPhone at this stage.

Interface for Weather
They fixed it! Gone is the pain of scrolling through tons of countries, where I inevitably hit the wrong one. Instead I can see my country right away or click on the appropriate letter on the right band. I still would like to just type in a zip code, but this new interface will do just fine.

In addition to the above fixes, HTC fixed the following in this latest ROM:
- Fixed no signal issue
- Fixed no action while touching navigator control in camera mode
- Fixed some files in internal storage which could not be listed
- Fixed SMS sound alert notification delay issue
- Improved audio quality after audio booster is enabled
- Turned off 5-second auto screen off function when screen is turned back on by pressing power key during a voice call. Screen off timeout will follow system power setting now.
NOT FIXED
Alert notifier / icon

There are still a couple of extra steps involved when you want to clear or see what a notifier is all about. It’s still working the same way, so be ready to either ignore the “new e-mail” icon, or go through multiple steps to clear it.
Overall, this ROM is delivering the HTC Touch Diamond the way it was meant to be enjoyed. The device finally performs as advertised, and in my tests works exactly like the promotional videos and commercials you have seen. The device is no longer sluggish and the interface is perfect for touching. Even the on-screen keyboard seems to be more responsive. I now think that the Diamond is a serious contender to the iPhone.

(viewable at http://www.geek.com/first-look-htc-t...-rom-20080801/)
Old 08-03-2008, 02:56 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4g

Tenny is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTenny is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTenny is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Tenny
Re: HTC Touch Diamond gets a new ROM

Damn vga looks so sweet!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Indigenous Nudist
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Torx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIP

is the touch screen capacitive or squishy?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:54 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

slypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3789 View Post
First look: HTC Touch Diamond gets a new ROM

by Joel Evans posted on August 1, 2008 4:02 pm

I’ve written before about the HTC Touch Diamond a number of times. In my initial review I pointed out a number of issues I was having with the device, including connectivity and general UI issues. HTC released an official ROM that fixed a number of my biggest gripes, but a bunch still remained.
Earlier this week HTC provided me an updated ROM (1.93) for the HTC Touch Diamond. Does this latest ROM finally deliver the perfect mobile device? Read on.
Device sluggishness
While the previous ROM made the majority of the sluggishness disappear, this latest version allows the device to perform like it does in the commercials. There’s absolutely no delay between transitions in TouchFLO 3D, and touching the screen works the first time, every time. I even treated my son to an impromptu photo slideshow this morning–something I never would have tried before since he is only four and doesn’t have the patience for interface delays.

I’m also noticing that launching applications is among the fastest I’ve seen on a Windows Mobile device. I downloaded and then launched a 160 page Word document. It took about 10 seconds to fully load up, which is on par with how long it took my desktop to do the same. Navigating it once loaded is exactly as one would hope–fast!

Connectivity
Thankfully this latest ROM seems to still work really well with my Wi-Fi access point. Not only that but it did a great job of recognizing and connecting to my local Panera’s free Wi-Fi. It actually performed this feat faster than my iPhone does, even though I have 3G on the iPhone and don’t really need the Panera Wi-Fi for it anymore.
Speaking of 3G, the Touch Diamond still doesn’t do 3G in the United States but this latest ROM does enable the 850 MHZ GSM band, bringing it up to quad band spec.
Opera
I’m not sure if it’s just overall speed improvements but Opera is even faster now. I would say that it’s probably rendering some sites faster than Safari on the iPhone at this stage.

Interface for Weather
They fixed it! Gone is the pain of scrolling through tons of countries, where I inevitably hit the wrong one. Instead I can see my country right away or click on the appropriate letter on the right band. I still would like to just type in a zip code, but this new interface will do just fine.

In addition to the above fixes, HTC fixed the following in this latest ROM:
- Fixed no signal issue
- Fixed no action while touching navigator control in camera mode
- Fixed some files in internal storage which could not be listed
- Fixed SMS sound alert notification delay issue
- Improved audio quality after audio booster is enabled
- Turned off 5-second auto screen off function when screen is turned back on by pressing power key during a voice call. Screen off timeout will follow system power setting now.
NOT FIXED
Alert notifier / icon

There are still a couple of extra steps involved when you want to clear or see what a notifier is all about. It’s still working the same way, so be ready to either ignore the “new e-mail” icon, or go through multiple steps to clear it.
Overall, this ROM is delivering the HTC Touch Diamond the way it was meant to be enjoyed. The device finally performs as advertised, and in my tests works exactly like the promotional videos and commercials you have seen. The device is no longer sluggish and the interface is perfect for touching. Even the on-screen keyboard seems to be more responsive. I now think that the Diamond is a serious contender to the iPhone.

(viewable at http://www.geek.com/first-look-htc-t...-rom-20080801/)
Love the review and all the info you provided. Is there any way that you can post a vid demonstrating the responsiveness?

EDIT: Looks like someone already posted a vid with the 1.93 ROM:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=33716

-s

Funniest thread ever!!

Don't just SAY "Thanks" PRESS ... Try it, it only takes a second!

Last edited by slypher; 08-04-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:49 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torx View Post
is the touch screen capacitive or squishy?
Its resistive... don't expect a capacitive screen for quite some time...

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
Old 08-07-2008, 12:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: sprint

xenoetry is becoming a great contributor

NICE REVIEW...hope has filled me once more...
Old 08-08-2008, 12:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic

trip is just getting started

Does this new ROM add additional support for running apps in landscape mode? Can you rotate the phone and have apps like google maps, email, other, change to landscape?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Treo 800w

f4jock is a n00b

Do you think the 1.93 faster ROM will be able to be applied to the Sprint Diamond once it's out in a few weeks? That's what I plan to get, but only if I can be fairly assured that I can make it faster than stock. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (Telus)
Carrier: Telus

CNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4jock View Post
Do you think the 1.93 faster ROM will be able to be applied to the Sprint Diamond once it's out in a few weeks? That's what I plan to get, but only if I can be fairly assured that I can make it faster than stock. Thanks.
The CDMA Diamonds will likely not use the same ROM as the GSM Diamonds. However, the Diamond I've got (CDMA, from Telus) appears to have many of the improvements listed by the OP. It feels quick, although the 288MB of RAM may help that.

Clint

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond