PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 08:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: sprint

anticowboyism is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Email auto-downloading years of emails!!? advice?

Since Jan. 1st I've been having this problem and it has turned my phone worthless. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have a yahoo imap account setup on my diamond. I have it set to download and store the past 7 days worth of emails only. This setup has worked fine the entire year I've owned this phone, until now.

All of a sudden, on January 1st, the phone attempts to download all 10,000 emails from my yahoo account. By the time I noticed, it had got to about 4000 and completely crashed. It took hours to delete the account from the phone because as soon as it started up, it was bogged down by low memory, and still trying to download emails. This was on the stock sprint rom.

Fed up, I flashed to the latest Mystery rom. Got it all setup and fixed various issues it had. Last night it started to do the same thing. The phone crashed again this morning with close to 4000 emails (this time on the storage card, but it bogged down to a crawl nonetheless). I hard reset and have been restoring the phone today.

Any clues to what is causing this behavior? When it happens, my phone is pretty much useless for the next 12 hours while I fix everything. It seems probably a yahoo error, since all my phone settings are (and have always been) the same, 7 days maximum of emails stored.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

JQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuffJQuill knows their stuff
Re: Email auto-downloading years of emails!!? advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticowboyism View Post
Since Jan. 1st I've been having this problem and it has turned my phone worthless. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have a yahoo imap account setup on my diamond. I have it set to download and store the past 7 days worth of emails only. This setup has worked fine the entire year I've owned this phone, until now.

All of a sudden, on January 1st, the phone attempts to download all 10,000 emails from my yahoo account. By the time I noticed, it had got to about 4000 and completely crashed. It took hours to delete the account from the phone because as soon as it started up, it was bogged down by low memory, and still trying to download emails. This was on the stock sprint rom.

Fed up, I flashed to the latest Mystery rom. Got it all setup and fixed various issues it had. Last night it started to do the same thing. The phone crashed again this morning with close to 4000 emails (this time on the storage card, but it bogged down to a crawl nonetheless). I hard reset and have been restoring the phone today.

Any clues to what is causing this behavior? When it happens, my phone is pretty much useless for the next 12 hours while I fix everything. It seems probably a yahoo error, since all my phone settings are (and have always been) the same, 7 days maximum of emails stored.
Try setting it for a different time frame, try changing the settings of how much of each e-mail downloads, and contact yahoo tech support.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

anticowboyism is a n00b

done and done. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

synack is a n00b

I have the same issue with Yahoo IMAP. And only yahoo. Doesn't matter if you set it for 5, 7, 30 days.... it always winds up pulling thousands of emails. Any resolution?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Odd. You might try moving your stored e-mails to an archive folder and not have your phone check those then just leave everything in your inbox for like a week.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond

gone3d is a n00b

I have the same issue. I have tried all account configurations and time interval settings. This seems to happen every two weeks for me. I can usually catch it before it downloads all 3000 emails becuase I can feel the thing burning up in my pocket from downloading so much... and then I quickly delete the account and recreate it and I'm good for another 2 weeks.

This really sucks though. I'm starting to wonder if its a 6.5 thing or ROM issue. Right now i'm on OMJ rom I think. I dont remember this happening on my stock rom but I really dont want to switch back to that crap.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO (Still love my TP2)

RobDFW is a n00b
Question Re: Email auto-downloading years of emails!!? advice?

I am having the same issue. The common things are:

Yahoo!
Windows Mobile 6.5

I have had it on 2 totally different ROMS.

What can we do to resolve this? Any ideas???

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

Palmguy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDFW View Post
I am having the same issue. The common things are:

Yahoo!
Windows Mobile 6.5

I have had it on 2 totally different ROMS.

What can we do to resolve this? Any ideas???

Thanks!
Yes, the below quote is a workaround....it's what I do with my Yahoo account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Odd. You might try moving your stored e-mails to an archive folder and not have your phone check those then just leave everything in your inbox for like a week.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Wiggum2000 is a n00b

I'm having the same problem. The solutions above are more like work-arounds and not solid fixes. Why is this really happening? Why aren't more people complaining about this problem? This is the second phone (both TP2) that does this and it doesn't matter which ROM I use, stock or otherwise.

I have it set up to download only the last 3 days of emails but after 2-4 days, it starts downloading over 4000 emails, rendering phone into a frustratingly hot brick... It still drains the battery when it is plugged into wall!?!

Please someone come up with a reason for the problem or a clean fix for it!

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

My suggestion is when you want to save an email move the email to another folder and out of your inbox and only have your device check your inbox for new mail or only a couple folders.
Also, set your device in your email settings so when you delete an email from your device it also deletes it from the email server.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond