PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Does anyone else have this problem with the directional pad?? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=134228)

PhatboyNYC 09-23-2010 05:02 PM

Does anyone else have this problem with the directional pad??

The circular directional pad on my Diamond (Sprint) seems to move fine going up, down and left....but won't move to the right. Since I was covered under TEP, I brought it in for repair at the Sprint store and they couldn't fix it so they replaced it with a newly refurbished Diamond.

I took the phone home and wtf, the new one had the same problem. It would move fine up, down and left but would barely move to the right. I took the phone back to the Sprint store and again they couldn't fix it, so they replaced it for me with another refurbished Diamond.

Now with Diamond #3, I tried out the dpad in the store and noticed it wasn't moving to the right either. I asked to speak to the manager and asked if this was a common problem. He goes into the back to speak to one of the techs and comes back and tells me that I have to press on the outer edge of the dpad (between the <- and the end call button). Doing so, did allow some movement to the right, but compared to the up, down and left "buttons", it seemed to stick and wasn't very consistent.

I installed Kevtris to really test out the dpad on the new Diamond and stupid thing keeps getting stuck when trying to go right. :-?

Is it just me or does anyone else have similar problems?

mogulman01 09-26-2010 10:31 PM

Re: Does anyone else have this problem with the directional pad??

Right has always been kind of flaky on my Diamond. I thought it was a hardware problem on my particular unit.

kainppc6700 09-27-2010 03:00 AM

I have problem when I press up, but for me it depend on ROM, in one ROM all directions is working perfectly, for example - Energy ROM's. But for ex. MikRom the up work with lags.

Dragoon123 09-28-2010 11:29 PM

Same issue for me, since I purchased in '08..

2 Bunny 09-29-2010 09:40 PM

DIAMOND Reply

To be honest, mine is a bit different. I've never had a problem with left and right, but down is a small/iffy button, and the up arrow just plain never worked for me.

It might help (if you don't already know) to have an explanation on how it works: You see, unlike a regular DPad, where you hit an arrow or button, the thing actually only has three buttons. A big button on the right, one on the left, and the center one. When you touch the capacitive Dpad, the device recognizes with the heat where your hand is, and as soon as it feels the click on one of the three zones, it will activate the button that your hand is closest to. This is why it does not work with anything but your hand. Hit it with a paper clip or even your fingernail, and you will find that those buttons simply do not activate.

As a little experiment, I rested my thumb on the "house" button. I then proceeded to pull my sweatshirt sleeve over my thumb and hit the "send" button. The HTC DPad diagnostic utility recognized it as a press of the "house" button, just as I suspected.

Maybe you all already knew that. I thought it was kind of interesting.

- 2 Bunny