PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: Bell

pimped_up is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rom/radio help htc diamond

Hello everyone im very new to the whole windows operating system. I bought an htc diamond CDMA with Bell Mobility. The phone is my fiances and she wants it to be quick and smooth. She wants it to be easy to take pictures, check her messages, and go online.

I have been reading about putting wm 6.5 on the phone (Phone is security unlocked and running Pegasus right now)

I have things about people changing the radio and I have no idea what that is.

I guess my major questions is If I have a stock HTC Diamond what is the best combination do you suggest to make is run quick and reliable.

I have heard about people using roms but other things have been changed also (Cant remember that)
Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: MTS

josh3794 is keeping up the good workjosh3794 is keeping up the good work
Re: Rom/radio help htc diamond

I don't know how much difference the radio is going to make. I am in the middle of Canada and I have tried almost every radio there is trying to improve my reception. I didn't notice any speed or reliability improvements with the radios though. I honestly didn't see much reception improvement either. I don't know if it's just the networks where I am or not. Canada is kind of behind when it comes to cell phone reception.

I do however notice huge differences with the roms. NRG's (energy victor for the diamond cdma phone) roms are fantastic if you want something that is fully featured. His are like the cadilac of roms. But they are huge which can cause them to slow down. I still enjoy using them though.

If you want something that is just a stripped down functional rom that will make phone calls and do the odd net search then I would look at OAT's very light sense rom. It includes almost nothing with it except what is needed to make it a phone. It's actually kind of nice as you can pick which apps work for you and where you want to install them. You aren't stuck with a lot of stuff you are never going to use.

I am currently running his wm 6.5 21895 sense 2016 rom. I added a lot of apps to mine like bandswitch, office mobile and some others to help with the battery and improve the phone itself. Read through the thread on his as everyone in there has ideas and helpful tips.

The best thing you can do is read up on the roms themselves and try them out and see what you like.

If you need any cab's or other help use search and google. Don't hesitate to ask either. MOst people on here will point you in the right direction. Most of the time it's trying to figure out what you need to google.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:37 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Moved to the HTC Diamond forum.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pimped_up is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh3794 View Post
I don't know how much difference the radio is going to make. I am in the middle of Canada and I have tried almost every radio there is trying to improve my reception. I didn't notice any speed or reliability improvements with the radios though. I honestly didn't see much reception improvement either. I don't know if it's just the networks where I am or not. Canada is kind of behind when it comes to cell phone reception.

I do however notice huge differences with the roms. NRG's (energy victor for the diamond cdma phone) roms are fantastic if you want something that is fully featured. His are like the cadilac of roms. But they are huge which can cause them to slow down. I still enjoy using them though.

If you want something that is just a stripped down functional rom that will make phone calls and do the odd net search then I would look at OAT's very light sense rom. It includes almost nothing with it except what is needed to make it a phone. It's actually kind of nice as you can pick which apps work for you and where you want to install them. You aren't stuck with a lot of stuff you are never going to use.

I am currently running his wm 6.5 21895 sense 2016 rom. I added a lot of apps to mine like bandswitch, office mobile and some others to help with the battery and improve the phone itself. Read through the thread on his as everyone in there has ideas and helpful tips.

The best thing you can do is read up on the roms themselves and try them out and see what you like.

If you need any cab's or other help use search and google. Don't hesitate to ask either. MOst people on here will point you in the right direction. Most of the time it's trying to figure out what you need to google.
Wow this a lot of help thank you so much. One question

1) What is a cab?

If you are in Canada I was wondering if I could call you and you could walk me thru the process of getting this phone working good because right now it kinda sucks.

I dont mind using pay pal to send you some cash.

Thank you so much
Old 07-23-2010, 01:20 PM
N00b

OK. to start at the begining. If you have know how to flash the rom (the main operating system on the phone like pegasus and others) then you have half the battle done. If you have not done that I would read this link. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36062
Also download the stock bell rom and the re-locker. Going to need it if you ever have to send the phone in for repairs.

A cab is an installable program. It is a zipped executable file basically. Make a folder on your internal storage called installers. I keep the cabs I use on a regular basis after flashing there. I also keep the cabs on my laptop to just in case.

Copy the cab files to the installers folder. navigate to the installers folder using the file explorer int he phone and click the cab file. It will start to install the program into your phone. no need to unzip it or anything like that.

Like I said I don't notice any difference with radios. Maybe some of the other guys that are on Bell might be able to help you with that.
A radio essentially just sets your attena to use a certain frequency. Kind of like adjusting rabbit ears on a tv.

The next thing is what you want to use the phone for and what look you want for it. That helps with the rom choice and what installer cabs you are going to need to get you to that point. So we will start with that.

It is easier to help you on here as I can attach cab files or links to articles on here.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pimped_up is a n00b

Quote:
OK. to start at the begining. If you have know how to flash the rom (the main operating system on the phone like pegasus and others) then you have half the battle done. If you have not done that I would read this link. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36062
Also download the stock bell rom and the re-locker. Going to need it if you ever have to send the phone in for repairs.

A cab is an installable program. It is a zipped executable file basically. Make a folder on your internal storage called installers. I keep the cabs I use on a regular basis after flashing there. I also keep the cabs on my laptop to just in case.

Copy the cab files to the installers folder. navigate to the installers folder using the file explorer int he phone and click the cab file. It will start to install the program into your phone. no need to unzip it or anything like that.

Like I said I don't notice any difference with radios. Maybe some of the other guys that are on Bell might be able to help you with that.
A radio essentially just sets your attena to use a certain frequency. Kind of like adjusting rabbit ears on a tv.

The next thing is what you want to use the phone for and what look you want for it. That helps with the rom choice and what installer cabs you are going to need to get you to that point. So we will start with that.

It is easier to help you on here as I can attach cab files or links to articles on here.
Yes I know how to flash the rom. I have a program called Diamond Installer or Diamond RUU or something like that (On my other computer) Yes I have the stock Bell software also.

1) How do I make a folder on the phone?
2) What she really wants is a operating system allows
-Easy to use Facebook
-Easy to text
-Easy to Call
-Cool phone book
-Look very cool but be user friendly
Old 07-23-2010, 03:55 PM
N00b

Ok. I would suggest trying out energy's rom to start with then. Like I said it is fairly large and takes almost all of the main system memory but it is probably the most user friendly to start with. NRG sets up his roms so you can flash and use without any hassle. It is a good one to start on while you read and hunt around for apps (cabs).
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74084
I would suggest the Energy 21911.Sense2.5.Cookie.LITE
The download link is at the bottom of post 2.

I use microsoft myphone to archive all my contacts and text messages.
I put the cab file in this post for you for the phone itself.
Here is the link for going through the sync'd items.
http://sn1-p1.myphone.microsoft.com/...t.po?mkt=en-US

Just a note on text messages. It has been found that holding a lot of text messages in the phone slows the messaging and the phone down a lot.
so sync your phone every couple of weeks and either delete or archive old texts then re-sync your phone to clear them out.

I would sync the phone and backup all your contacts and messages and everything so that you don't have to manually enter them all into the next rom.

You can make a folder in the phone itself using the file explorer. Or when you hook your phone up to your computer you can enter into both the device and internal storage using my computer from your desktop. I do this for most maintenace things as it is easier to read.

I also added the cab for the facebook app. Install on the internal storage drive.

I have only run across a few apps that have to be installed onthe device drive itself. I install everything I can on the internal storage drive.

Start looking around and collecting apps (cab's) for future flashing. It's a pain to flash a rom and be missing an app you use and not have the cab to use it.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pimped_up is a n00b

Quote:
Ok. I would suggest trying out energy's rom to start with then. Like I said it is fairly large and takes almost all of the main system memory but it is probably the most user friendly to start with. NRG sets up his roms so you can flash and use without any hassle. It is a good one to start on while you read and hunt around for apps (cabs).
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74084
I would suggest the Energy 21911.Sense2.5.Cookie.LITE
The download link is at the bottom of post 2.

I use microsoft myphone to archive all my contacts and text messages.
I put the cab file in this post for you for the phone itself.
Here is the link for going through the sync'd items.
http://sn1-p1.myphone.microsoft.com/...t.po?mkt=en-US

Just a note on text messages. It has been found that holding a lot of text messages in the phone slows the messaging and the phone down a lot.
so sync your phone every couple of weeks and either delete or archive old texts then re-sync your phone to clear them out.

I would sync the phone and backup all your contacts and messages and everything so that you don't have to manually enter them all into the next rom.

You can make a folder in the phone itself using the file explorer. Or when you hook your phone up to your computer you can enter into both the device and internal storage using my computer from your desktop. I do this for most maintenace things as it is easier to read.

I also added the cab for the facebook app. Install on the internal storage drive.

I have only run across a few apps that have to be installed onthe device drive itself. I install everything I can on the internal storage drive.

Start looking around and collecting apps (cab's) for future flashing. It's a pain to flash a rom and be missing an app you use and not have the cab to use it.
I made a folder in my internal storage put all the files from Myphone in there. Clicked on Setup and it didnt work. It went to internet explorer but go error
Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 AM
N00b

OK. Don't unzip the cab file. Transfer the cab file as a whole to the installers folder or whatever folder you plan on using.

Once you have copied the cab file to the phone then use the phones file explorer to navigate to the folder the file is in. Tap the file (might take a couple of taps) to start in installing. It will install myphone from the cab file onto your phone. A screen will popup asking you if you want to install to the device or internal storage. Like I said I install everything i can to my internal storage. The youtube app is the only thing I have run into that has to be installed on the device.

After it is done installing the myphone icon should show up in the start menu. Open myphone and select menu at the bottom. then sync options and tell it what you want to sync. Don't sync music and video as it copies everything on your phone to a server and music / videos takes a long time on your data plan. Just copy those back and forth from your pc.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pimped_up is a n00b

Quote:
OK. Don't unzip the cab file. Transfer the cab file as a whole to the installers folder or whatever folder you plan on using.

Once you have copied the cab file to the phone then use the phones file explorer to navigate to the folder the file is in. Tap the file (might take a couple of taps) to start in installing. It will install myphone from the cab file onto your phone. A screen will popup asking you if you want to install to the device or internal storage. Like I said I install everything i can to my internal storage. The youtube app is the only thing I have run into that has to be installed on the device.

After it is done installing the myphone icon should show up in the start menu. Open myphone and select menu at the bottom. then sync options and tell it what you want to sync. Don't sync music and video as it copies everything on your phone to a server and music / videos takes a long time on your data plan. Just copy those back and forth from your pc.

Ok sweet. Thank you. Next question. Where is the market place located and how does she get new ringers?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond