PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Diamond and AGPS with Google Maps My Location

I'm really confused on how to get AGPS working with my Sprint Diamond, specifically I just want to get the My Location function to work in Google Maps.

I have a Sprint Blackberry with no GPS chip, and indoors, it's able to acquire a general location fix in less than 1 second, sorta like on iPhones.

On my new Sprint Diamond, when I try to do the same, it just says that "Your current location is temporarily unavailable". Sometimes it just hangs on "Updating location." If I take it outside, after a while, it's able to get a true GPS fix, but still it isn't able to get an AGPS instant ballpark estimate of my location before it gets the exact GPS position.

I see the gigantic post stuck on the top of the forum on How To: Configure GPS, and I've tried to read as much of it as possible, but it seems to be filled with conflicting information. One person stated:

Quote:
The Opening Topic should updated which carriers (or ROMS) require these steps because the Sprint Stock ROM needs absolutely nothing to work right out the box.

It Always locks immediately.

QuickGPS is installed and runs as a Service constanting doing AGPS updates so that when you need the GPS it will lock almost instantly.

On a Stock Sprint ROM, I can Hard Reset, Install Google Maps, Click Use GPS and it's up.
That is not my experience. I originally was running stock, and AGPS did not work, and after upgrading to MightyROM6, AGPS still does not work. I have QuickGPS installed, and it sometimes connects okay, and downloads whatever it needs to download. However, this doesn't seem to do anything.

Hard reset and immediate install of Google Maps produces the same behavior.

Can anyone help me with this or provide advice on how to get my AGPS (not regular GPS, which seems to work fine) working? Can anyone confirm that on their Sprint Diamond, they can reboot, start Google Maps, click My Location, and get a general location indoors in less than a second?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

castnorth is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Sprint Diamond and AGPS with Google Maps My Location

I can verify that the agps will work on the diamond...though it is more like 10-20 seconds for my location lock for me with google maps. I used to have a similar problem when i ran a stock rom and i would load sprint navigation and that would always lock on and then google would run fine after.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:58 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Have you tried opening google maps directly after a soft reset and trying for a lock?
Sometimes on my Vogue if I don't get a lock right away I'll use htcaddicts cleanRAM and then open google maps and I usually get a lock immediately. Not sure if you have tried this app but it is much faster and saves battery power over doing a soft reset.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff

I just tried Google maps directly after a soft reset and directly after running cleanRAM level 1 and 2, and in both cases, clicking the blue icon gets the "Your current location is temporarily unavailable" message.

10-20 seconds sounds really slow for AGPS. Does it work indoors with no view of the sky?

Now that I'm MightyROM, any idea how I can do something similar to loading Sprint Navigation in advance to get th GPS working?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:52 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I've been having problems getting AGPS to work lately myself. :\
Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

For you guys getting AGPS to work, does it find your location even when you uncheck Use GPS?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:50 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Telus

airborneaussie is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
I'm really confused on how to get AGPS working with my Sprint Diamond, specifically I just want to get the My Location function to work in Google Maps.

I have a Sprint Blackberry with no GPS chip, and indoors, it's able to acquire a general location fix in less than 1 second, sorta like on iPhones.

On my new Sprint Diamond, when I try to do the same, it just says that "Your current location is temporarily unavailable". Sometimes it just hangs on "Updating location." If I take it outside, after a while, it's able to get a true GPS fix, but still it isn't able to get an AGPS instant ballpark estimate of my location before it gets the exact GPS position.

I see the gigantic post stuck on the top of the forum on How To: Configure GPS, and I've tried to read as much of it as possible, but it seems to be filled with conflicting information. One person stated:

That is not my experience. I originally was running stock, and AGPS did not work, and after upgrading to MightyROM6, AGPS still does not work. I have QuickGPS installed, and it sometimes connects okay, and downloads whatever it needs to download. However, this doesn't seem to do anything.

Hard reset and immediate install of Google Maps produces the same behavior.

Can anyone help me with this or provide advice on how to get my AGPS (not regular GPS, which seems to work fine) working? Can anyone confirm that on their Sprint Diamond, they can reboot, start Google Maps, click My Location, and get a general location indoors in less than a second?
Did you make the changes required to your phone settings using QPST? Locks typically take 5 to 10 seconds for me using google maps and AGPS. I also found that manually setting the port and using a baud rate of 9600 helped. The 5-10 seconds I mentioned includes the 2-3 second delay before the data connection becomes active. In answer to your other question, without 'use GPS' ticked in the google maps settings, the 'my location' feature does not work.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneaussie View Post
Did you make the changes required to your phone settings using QPST? Locks typically take 5 to 10 seconds for me using google maps and AGPS. I also found that manually setting the port and using a baud rate of 9600 helped. The 5-10 seconds I mentioned includes the 2-3 second delay before the data connection becomes active. In answer to your other question, without 'use GPS' ticked in the google maps settings, the 'my location' feature does not work.
I hadn't previously done the QPST thing because someone said it wasn't necessary on Sprint Diamonds, but I just tried it, and it didn't help. All of the settings were already set other than the port, which was 4503 instead of 5017. Changing that didn't seem to do anything, except that it seemed like QuickGPS couldn't connect anymore, but I didn't look into that too long before changing it back. Running the registry changes in that post also didn't seem to fix anything.

I saw a lot of people talking about a program called Nadavi HTC GPS Tool, so I downloaded and installed that, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Is it useful for debugging problems like mine?
Old 04-07-2010, 03:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

shanep13 is becoming a great contributor

Not sure if you found your answer to getting AGPS to work yet....

Thanks goes to Scmasaru
For those who cannot get AGPS or My Location to work please check the Google Mobile Maps About page. If the second from the last line shows "myl: N/A", add the following reg keys:
Code:
HKLM\software\google\googlemaps
supports_extended_ril=1 (String Value)
supports_extended_wifi=1 (String Value)

Worked for me.
Good Luck.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Alltel/Verizon

Plutonium0587 is becoming a great contributor

I have an Alltel diamond running on Verizon and I can only get my location to work and google maps to locate me without GPS when I have Wifi on. The wifi does not have to be connected to a network, just on. Once it is on I can update my location beautifully.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond