PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   No data on Sprint? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=127904)

Fineias 07-07-2010 08:09 AM

No data on Sprint?

I am thinking about buying a Diamond, but I was told by Sprint that I need to have a data plan to activate it, even if it was a used phone. I currently have the original Touch with no data plan and I even use a program that blocks data usage and that seems to work just fine.

Does anyone know if there's a way to activate the Diamond on Sprint without the data plan?

Also, I couldn't figure this out from the other postings, but if I were to unlock an Alltel or any other CDMA phone, can I just activate it on Sprint without a problem? Or is there an extra step I need to take?

MrObvious 07-07-2010 12:06 PM

Re: No data on Sprint?

An Alltel ESN won't be added to the system. Sorry.

Fineias 07-07-2010 01:35 PM

Ok, so what about data, can I use a Sprint Diamond on Sprint without the data plan?

mwalt2 07-07-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fineias (Post 1854876)
Ok, so what about data, can I use a Sprint Diamond on Sprint without the data plan?

Yes. I think the only data requirement for old phone like the diamond might have been to get the rebate when you upgrade (which doesn't apply in your case). You should not have a problem activating it online or over the phone as far as I know.

violent31601 07-07-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwalt2 (Post 1855098)
Yes. I think the only data requirement for old phone like the diamond might have been to get the rebate when you upgrade (which doesn't apply in your case). You should not have a problem activating it online or over the phone as far as I know.

your right

Fineias 07-07-2010 09:22 PM

Ok, so I talked to Sprint again and they told me the same thing, if I try to activate the phone their system won't let it happen if I don't have a data plan. So I asked what about the HTC Touch Pro, and same answer. Apparently the HTC Touch is old enough that you can do it without the data plan. I'd love to just buy one and see what happens, but I don't want to be out $100 if I can't activate it. Do you think Sprint is lying and just wants to upsell me? If not, is there any way around this?

h2onions 07-12-2010 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fineias (Post 1855608)
Ok, so I talked to Sprint again and they told me the same thing, if I try to activate the phone their system won't let it happen if I don't have a data plan. So I asked what about the HTC Touch Pro, and same answer. Apparently the HTC Touch is old enough that you can do it without the data plan. I'd love to just buy one and see what happens, but I don't want to be out $100 if I can't activate it. Do you think Sprint is lying and just wants to upsell me? If not, is there any way around this?

I had the Vogue also, and I don't have a data plan either. Then I got the Diamond from my cousin and then activated/switched to the Diamond on the Sprint site. It worked even though I don't have the data plan. I did it with a Touch Pro too and it worked also without the data plan. I have an everything messaging if that makes any difference too. Diamond and Touch Pro don't require a data plan from what I experienced.

Fineias 07-15-2010 07:37 AM

Thanks for the reply. I ended actually buying the Touch Pro and it activated just fine as well. And I have a real cheap plan, a Fair and Flexible 550 with no data or messaging. Thanks for all the help! I am disappointed that Sprint flat out lied to me though.

h2onions 07-15-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fineias (Post 1866631)
Thanks for the reply. I ended actually buying the Touch Pro and it activated just fine as well. And I have a real cheap plan, a Fair and Flexible 550 with no data or messaging. Thanks for all the help! I am disappointed that Sprint flat out lied to me though.

Oh darn, sorry I was too late. :(