PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond CDMA
Carrier: Bell Mobility

ZALI- is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Diamond dropped in water :(

Hi, i was on a floating toy on a pool, and got a bit wet, and realized my Diamond was in my pocket. I quickly took it out, it was a bit wet. But its not turning on. I dried it with a towel, and let it lie for a while, then i wiped dry all of it. When I put the battery in, and press the power OR reset button, sometimes it vibrates, but no display, and sometimes nothing happens. Usually nothing happens. But when the battery is plugged in, it randomly vibrates, but still no display.

What should I do? Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Bell

mjf100 is a n00b
Re: Diamond dropped in water :(

Try putting it in plastic bag filled with rice.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:53 AM
p2k
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: TELUS

p2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularp2k is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Like with any electronics... if you suspect water damage, DONT turn it on...

LET IT DRY...

Like the above posted stated... bag of rice... the rice will draw the mosture out...

Min 24 hours....
Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond

greeced is a n00b

I completely submerged my diamond a few weeks ago... I thought it was gone too...

I took it completely apart, tried to dry it the best I could, and put it back together.

Like you, I would turn it on, it would vibrate and give the appearance that it was working, that is, everything but the screen. The screen just showed lines and was very faint.

I tried everything, the rice trick, hair dryer, everything I could think of, and nothing appeared to work.

So I ended up buying another diamond 2 days later.

Before I unpacked the new one, I tried turning the old one on again... still the same thing, vibrate worked, incoming calls worked, but no display just faint lines.

So I plugged the USB to get all my stuff off the internal storage, and after about 10 mins, BOOM everything lit up again and it has been working ever since in every way.

I sold the new diamond for a small profit.

So bottomline, don't do anything just keep the battery out and wait 24 hours... Try it again, if it still doesn't work, try waiting another 24 hours, and then a final 24 hours. It should work.

Let us know what happens. It would be interesting to hear if it comes back to life.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:27 PM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeced View Post
I completely submerged my diamond a few weeks ago... I thought it was gone too...

I took it completely apart, tried to dry it the best I could, and put it back together.

Like you, I would turn it on, it would vibrate and give the appearance that it was working, that is, everything but the screen. The screen just showed lines and was very faint.

I tried everything, the rice trick, hair dryer, everything I could think of, and nothing appeared to work.

So I ended up buying another diamond 2 days later.

Before I unpacked the new one, I tried turning the old one on again... still the same thing, vibrate worked, incoming calls worked, but no display just faint lines.

So I plugged the USB to get all my stuff off the internal storage, and after about 10 mins, BOOM everything lit up again and it has been working ever since in every way.

I sold the new diamond for a small profit.

So bottomline, don't do anything just keep the battery out and wait 24 hours... Try it again, if it still doesn't work, try waiting another 24 hours, and then a final 24 hours. It should work.

Let us know what happens. It would be interesting to hear if it comes back to life.

ummm that was a bad move, i would of sold the water damaged one and kept the new one. what if the old one dies on you soon?

Old 04-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ZALI- is a n00b

Thanks all for the replies. I pressed the "Thanks" button for all of you. Its been about a little over 30 hrs, of this incident. Now, when I place the battery in and prss the power on button, it just gives the regular short vibrate, but no display. I'll wait for another day, I think. Its lying in a cool dry place. I have no rice.

The phone is not totally dead, would the warranty cover this.

Anything I should do?

Thanks.

Last edited by ZALI-; 04-26-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ZALI- is a n00b

Btw, two of you [mjf100 & greeced] are Bell Mobility users like me, I think you would know of the warranty, I did not get any thing, about the warranty. I dont know about p2k, as you are a Telus user, but I think the warranty is the same or close.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:19 AM
N00b

greeced is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 View Post
ummm that was a bad move, i would of sold the water damaged one and kept the new one. what if the old one dies on you soon?
Well, I really didn't have much choice due to those watermark stickers that turned completely red on both the unit and battery, so it would be somewhat difficult justifying it to someone as something they "shouldn't worry about".

I thought about keeping the new one, but as my contract is up in October (bought my diamond mid contract as my "contract phone" died), and my thought about going Android, I only need it to last a few more months. So selling the new one for a profit instead of the old one for a loss seems like the better move to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZALI- View Post
Btw, two of you [mjf100 & greeced] are Bell Mobility users like me, I think you would know of the warranty, I did not get any thing, about the warranty. I dont know about p2k, as you are a Telus user, but I think the warranty is the same or close.
Bell Mobility's warranty was 1 year, but I don't think they would honour warranties due to water damage.

I did phone HTC about the incident and get this, they would charge $195.00 just to look at it, and if I decided to repair it that money would go towards the repair, if I didn't want to repair it, I'd be out $195.00 -- This even though I stated to them I bought the phone brand spanking new for $150.00 with no contract requirement from Bell (clearance).

Bell's customer service, as I'm sure you know, isn't the best. Heck, I don't think any Canadian cell company's is due to contracts and their knowledge that you're somewhat stuck with whatever they tell you.

At any rate, my next phone, whatever I choose, will be HSPA not CDMA. HSPA will allow me to go anywhere I choose once contracts are up, unlike CDMA which is locked down tight service wise by either bell or telus.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

ZALI- is a n00b

Thanks all, again for your help. Here's the latest:

Its been almost three days now (about 72 hrs.) and now the phone works perfectly, activesync works, With MyMobile I can see my phone, perfectly, BUT the screen is not working at all. The speaker works as well.

I think the warranty will cover this, as this is just a screen malfunction, Would it?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 AM
N00b

greeced is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZALI- View Post
Thanks all, again for your help. Here's the latest:

Its been almost three days now (about 72 hrs.) and now the phone works perfectly, activesync works, With MyMobile I can see my phone, perfectly, BUT the screen is not working at all. The speaker works as well.

I think the warranty will cover this, as this is just a screen malfunction, Would it?
If the screen is not working due to water damage, thats not a malfunction, but because moisture is causing it.

Trust me, the screen will pop back on. Interesting that you said MyMobile. The exact program I used to see my phone too. but as I plugged it in one time to activesync everything out, the screen popped back to life.

You're almost there, it will eventually come back on.

From what I gather, your warranty is void now due to those water damage stickers.. but it doesn't hurt to try.

EDIT: In regards to warranty, I'll tell you how bad Bell is. I had an old Samsung U740. Never dropped in water once. I've always had issues with it, and expressed that to bell. They told me to bring it in and they told me there was water damage because the sticker changed colour. Low and behold they said the warranty was void.

How did the sticker change colour you ask? LOL too funny, because I answered it one time when it was raining and the moisture in the air got inside the phone, no actual drops of water.

Last edited by greeced; 04-27-2010 at 10:59 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond