PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

meccax5 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dropped my diamond, now the screen won't come on.

Can sprint fix it, or am I going to have to replace it with a damned refurbished one.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP
Re: Dropped my diamond, now the screen won't come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meccax5 View Post
Can sprint fix it, or am I going to have to replace it with a damned refurbished one.
Who knows ... maybe yes ... maybe no. There isn't anyone on this forum who can beam an image of your broken screen and make the call. Just take it into the nearest store with a repair facility and give it a shot. Sorry to hear of your accident ... there are plenty of us out here, who hope something like this doesn't happen to our beloved Diamonds.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meccax5 View Post
You will most likely get a refurb. I drowned my Vogue and got a refurb Diamond that looks and works fine so far!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: ANDROID 2.2 Froyo Deodex

sprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to sprintgirl

u could get the replacement parts and diy or try a computer geek store...nerds on call or something...they replace screens all the time on computers...cant be that hard couple of strategically placed screws and what not.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:00 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Stuck Throttle is a n00b

I ran into this same problem a week ago. I live in Alaska so going to a Sprint store was not possible. I decided to take my phone apart and found that all that had happend was the screen connector had come loose. It took A WHOLE LOT of re-trying, but I got it to work.

I dropped my phone from a bench seat (while bragging to an employee about how much hell I put my phone through and it keep working) and suddenly the screen stopped coming on. Your screen .... .... is it cracked? Or just wont come on? Most likely as long as the screen was not damaged, the connector pin was knocked out. Your best bet is a Sprint store, but if your stuck like I was, I can walk you through trying to check.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:04 PM
N00b

Hallucination is just getting started

Please walk me through your steps, Stuck Throttle. I dropped my phone, I still can make calls, and receive calls by connecting it to the computer and see the screen there. But there's absolutely nothing on the phone.

Sometimes, I do get the screen back on the phone. But it's not working properly, either. It's got MicroP Error.

I opened the cover, and there were screws that I don't know how to open them, since they are star-shape, not the regular Phillips, or Flat head types.

Please help.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:51 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond, Vogue

overtheair is just getting started

Or just save yourself the work and take it to Sprint. Unless the screen is cracked or there's liquid damage, they'll repair or replace it. If you don't already have coverage on your line, you can add it before taking it in to the Sprint repair center; there's open enrollment during the month of March. Unless you want full coverage including insurance, you can just add ESRP coverage for $4/month.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Lurker

Stuck Throttle is a n00b

Ugh, I hate getting sick. Anyway, NEVER ATTEMPT THE FOLLOWING IF YOU CAN TAKE YOUR PHONE TO BE REPAIRED PROFESSIONALLY! I would provide pictures, but I just fixed my diamond and honestly have no intentions of re-opening it and running the risk of screwing it up again.

Step 1. Back-up your Diamond. Even if the screen doesn't work, you should still be able to connect it to your computer and back it up that way.

Step 2. Remove the battery cover, battery, and stylus.

Step 3. There are four torx screws hold the black back cover on. Pretty much one in each corner. I didn't have a torx screwdrive small enough so I used and eyeglass repair kit phillips screwdriver. Remove the four screws. The back cover "snaps" in and out. I actually broke mine when removing it, but I just suprglued it back. Be very careful when prying the cover off.

Step 4. Once you have the cover off, set it aside with the 4 screws. You should now be staring at the back of your phone's guts. One PCB board on the top half with the camera, and one on the bottom half. In between the two halfs is the spot where the battery sits. This silver plate is held on by three screws. You already removed one when you took the back cover off. Now there are two more. One right next to the camera and one next to the vibration motor. Remove both and set the silver plate and screws aside.

Step 5. NOw you have the two PCB boards connected only by two wires running between the two. The top PCB board we can ignore completely. Lets focus on the bottom one. Underneathe this board are two connecting pins. If you are looking straight down at the back of your phone, they are at the top leeft and bottom right corners of the board.

I beleive the top right one is the LCD screen connection. What I did was pull the board out a little and reconnect this pin. It took me forever using a butter knife to slide in there and provide leverage. You'll know when it is securely in place. I did it for both connections. After a lot of playing around, I placed the silver plate for the battery back on and tested the phone.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond