PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 01:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

kwatcha is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Storage memory is critically low

Can someone please help me out here if you can, on my Touch Diamond I keep getting this anoying message : "Storage memory is critically low" but I store everything I download on my internal drive and nothing on the main memory...I also use Memmaid and Clean ram to no avail...what other option do I have or maybe it's time to dump my Diamond
Storage
Total 90.80MB
In Use 90.59
Free 0.22
Old 02-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2 & HD2
Carrier: Sprint & T-Mobile

rhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuff
Re: Storage memory is critically low

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatcha View Post
Can someone please help me out here if you can, on my Touch Diamond I keep getting this anoying message : "Storage memory is critically low" but I store everything I download on my internal drive and nothing on the main memory...I also use Memmaid and Clean ram to no avail...what other option do I have or maybe it's time to dump my Diamond
Storage
Total 90.80MB
In Use 90.59
Free 0.22
First off, check your Application Data Folder size, I'm guessing it's loading up with cached thumbnails and other data in different sub-folders.

Application Data\HTC\HTC Album\Cache can have over 10MB's of thumbnails and data alone. Clear it for now, and remember that every time you open HTC Album or any thumbnails, it will load back up again to some degree.

Application Data\Google Maps\Cache can also have large amounts of stored data as well. Clear it too. Please note that all versions of Google Maps, prior to v4, will use Main Storage for Application Data, even if installed to your Internal Storage or Storage Card.

Application Data\HTC\ProgLauncher can be cleared too, but it will load back up again after a soft reset. In turn, you will need to use a program like ClearTemp to clean it once again, or you can do it manually with your file explorer. Depending on how many programs you have installed, clearing ProgLauncher, will save you 1MB to 4MBs of Main Storage.

Also, check out any other Application Data sub-folders. You may be able to save some precious main storage space in some of these as well, depending on what programs you have installed.

To keep these Application Data sub-folders from eating up the limited Diamond main storage space, you should set up ClearTemp (freeware), or SKtools and or MemMaid (payware) to clean these specific sub-folders or any other, by going into each of these cleaning programs main settings area and setting up which folders to clean.

You should also consider moving your wallpapers, photos, videos, Templates, UAContents, unused ringtones, unused alarms and most programs to Internal Storage (Storage Card for other WM PPCs). You can do this manually with your file explorer or with SKTools. SKTools is great for much of this, as it will move programs etc., and most of time, change the install information and registry edits to reflect the new location. Doing this can save large amounts of Main Storage.

Moreover, make sure that you have all messaging and mail attachments, as well as your Opera and IE cache, cookies, and history set to be stored in Internal Storage (or Storage Card, if your using a different WM PPC).

Here's a nice tip from rileyd5 in regard to changing where Opera caches it's files. "Change opera cache from device memory to internal storage or you need to clear the cache in opera frequently. If not, you will eat up a good portion of the remaining memory on the device. To manually change opera cache, open opera>type in the address bar opera:cache. then scroll down to user prefs. go to cachedirectory4 and change the line from /windows/ to /internal storage/ JUST this part not the whole line! Then scroll to the very bottom of the list and hit save, wait a few seconds for it to initiate, then close opera. Now when you use it again. all cache will go to internal storage".

I'm sure I'm forgetting some other items I normally move, but the above should be a good start to managing your Diamond or other WM PPC's limited main storage space.

Best to all,
R
Attached Files
File Type: cab cleartemp-v1.3.cab (83.4 KB, 38 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by rhacy; 03-18-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: updated ClearTemp to v1.3
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I was having the same problem. Just installed MM Diamond ROM and putting my files back on it now. Will follow those instructions and hopefully not have this problem again myself.

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2 & HD2
Carrier: Sprint & T-Mobile

rhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney1985 View Post
I was having the same problem. Just installed MM Diamond ROM and putting my files back on it now. Will follow those instructions and hopefully not have this problem again myself.
Courtney1985, if you make sure to install all the programs that you can to Internal Storage, it will really help save some of the Diamond's precious Main Storage space. Also, if you install Bing, make sure to install it Internal Storage, and make sure to go into it's main settings area, and set it to cache to Internal Storage. This will save you a lot of Main Storage in the long run. Plus, if you can stand using Bing instead of Google Maps for the most part, it will even save you more space, as Google Maps will load up it's Application Data\Google Maps and Cache. Please note that Google Maps v4 is out now, and if you install it to your Internal Storage, it will finally store it's Application Data to Internal Storage (Storage Card for other WM PPCs). Also, if you take a good look at all your Main Storage Folders, like My Documents etc., you will be able to see which folders are eating up your Main Storage and move the space hogs to Internal Storage as well. One point I should clarify is that HTC Manila TF3D and Sense always load up your Main Storage Application Data sub-folders. In turn, using ClearTemp or other software to clean the specific sub-folders after soft reset or after using HTC Album etc., will help keep your Main Storage space under control. To clarify further, I load around 100 extra programs and games on my Diamonds, run OMJ's WM.6.5.x Sense 2.5 ROM's, and am able to manage my Main Storage to the point where it never has become critically low. That said, the Diamond's limited Main Storage was not meant for the latest WM builds and Sense 2.5, so it's important to understand and manage the limited space, in order to enjoy the cutting edge of WM and HTC's latest GUI.

On a related note, no sure which file explorer everyone likes to use with the Diamond, but I've always had good luck with Resco File Explorer (payware) and Total Commander (freeware). I usually install TC to Main Storage, if it's not included in the custom ROM, and Resco to Internal Storage. That way, if something goes bad, I can at least access TC and fix the issue.

Here's a link to Total Commander 2.51 or 2.5.2 beta 2:
http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/De...der-9224.shtml

One more thing I highly recommend is a back up program like SPB. It has saved me many times when loading extra programs etc. on WM phones, and not liking the results or not being able to move or get rid of some files the new software installed to Main Storage. It's priceless to be able to restore your system to a good working state with all your Main Storage space back without flashing again. Plus you can back up your Internal Storage just by making a Internal Storage folder on your PC, then select all of Internal Storage in disk mode, and then copying it the new PC folder you made. Just remember to make sure your have both your PC and PPC set to show all files. Anyway, with both Main Storage and Internal Storage backed up, you always have a way to put the system back to a good working state if anything happens during tweaking or use.

Oh yeah, one last thing, if you have the time, and flash new ROM images often, consider using SASHIMI to load all your CAB files and settings. It's a real time saver once you get passed the leaning curve. Please note that the Sashimi Developer does not want his software download posted at other sites, so you will need to do a search here at ppckgeeks for more information, as well as via Google to download the software and lean how to set it up.

Yikes, did not mean to type ramble, but hope it helps...
Best to all,
R

Last edited by rhacy; 03-18-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: updated, due to Google v4
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond