PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

fishfoot is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Suggestions for fast, stable ROM?

Hey Guys,

My life with the Diamond has been a bumpy road. I've loved this device since I got it but I recently got an Ipod Touch and it makes me lust for an IPhone... there, I said it.

Since my company pays for my phone and Sprint or Verizon are my only choices the prospects are pretty bleak. I've been thinking about getting a Droid but I hate the idea of being an early adopter and I've read some mixed reviews.

In the meantime I'm running Mighty Rom 6 on my phone. It's (I believe) an early 6.5 ROM and though I have deep appreciation for what Mighty Mike has done, I don't like the rom much. It's slow, clunky, and obviously a bit of a beta. Prior to this I had run Mighty 4.8 and before that Juicy 3.x. To me, that was the heyday of the Diamond. The attempts to get the latest software running on what is now an outdated phone just seem silly (again, absolutely no offense to the ROM Cookers out there... deep respect).

So I ask you all this... What should I do? I have the old roms I used to use and I liked them but I'm looking for something that is still under development. Something that is stable and fast and really showcases the phone for what it can do as opposed to displaying how dated it actually is.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Fishfoot.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP
Re: Suggestions for fast, stable ROM?

OK, I'll jump in ... there will be different opinions, so you'll need to figure out what's important for you. First of all, I love my Diamond. It's been very reliable, has a great looking screen, and is pocket-able. Hopefully, my next phone will be the same, only with a larger screen and a faster processor.

There are a couple of things important to me ... reliability, everything must work, reasonable battery life, and a nice UI. I am willing to sacrifice being on the "bleeding edge", for these things. I have tried almost every rom available over the last eighteen months, and have cooked in multiple kitchens. I have gone from Manila to Titanium and back to Manila. At the moment, I have two roms that work for me. The first is a Sense 2.1 (6.1/21055) which I put together in OMJ's kitchen. All the essentials work for me, although there will always be a small bug or two. It looks great on my Diamond, sort of like a "mini HD2". Actually, it makes my phone feel new again. The second rom I use, is also a 6.1 (21055), which I put together using the older Sprint manila. With it, everything works, it is quick, battery life is good, and it is very stable. As for the way it looks, I have dressed it up with newer 2.5 icons, etc ... so it feels new. Most would be hard pressed to know that underneath the updated exterior, beats the stability of a 6.1 system build.

From your post count, you are either new to the forum, or have been lurking. In any event, there are still enough of us here, waiting on new phones ... who are more than willing to help. If any of this resonates with you, let me know if you would like some assistance.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

fishfoot is a n00b

wmdunn, thank you. That is EXACTLY the response I was looking for. I'll check out these roms as soon as I can and give them a whirl.

I've actually been on the forums for a couple of years now. I'm a classic lurker. I tend to invest my time more in Call Of Duty than in posting here. Probably not the best use of my time

Again, thanks for the info, it was dead on. Like you I too seek out stability first, quickness, and then beauty. I'm trying to apply this to my search for a woman as well

Take care, and again, thank you.
Fishfoot.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

fishfoot is a n00b

wmdunn,

One more thing... I reread your post and I see you cooked the 2.1 into OMJ's kitchen. Given that I'm an IT professional and good at what I do, how hard is this to do. I've never done anything like that before with these phones.

Would it be possible for you to just send me the rom that you've already cooked? Is it (or a similar pre-cooked rom) available on the forums? I went and looked at the upgrade pages and most of what I see there that says 2.1 Sense also refers to WM 6.5. I'm pretty sure that's not what I want but I don't know.

Thanks for your time.
FishFoot
Old 01-28-2010, 02:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

dreamer3kx is just getting started

wmdunn

Is your rom uploaded here on the roms page? If not why don't you upload it or are your not going to make any changes to it? Im just wondering because if you do update it I would like to get the latest, thanks.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:37 PM
VIP Member

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer3kx View Post
wmdunn

Is your rom uploaded here on the roms page? If not why don't you upload it or are your not going to make any changes to it? Im just wondering because if you do update it I would like to get the latest, thanks.
Thanks for your interest, but I never set out to cook for the general public. I really don't want the responsibility of follow-up or trying to meet individual preferences. What I typically cook, is a very lite shell, and then I customize it with programs and reg edits that work for me. Over the last week or so, I have uploaded a couple of iterations, and I might consider one or two more. But, I really want to leave the heavy lifting to my buddy, OMJ and all the work he continues to do. His contributions are huge.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdunn View Post
Thanks for your interest, but I never set out to cook for the general public. I really don't want the responsibility of follow-up or trying to meet individual preferences. What I typically cook, is a very lite shell, and then I customize it with programs and reg edits that work for me. Over the last week or so, I have uploaded a couple of iterations, and I might consider one or two more. But, I really want to leave the heavy lifting to my buddy, OMJ and all the work he continues to do. His contributions are huge.
Ok thanks, keep us updated if anything, thanks again.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC DIAMOND
Carrier: SPRINT

HEDRICKMS is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdunn View Post
All I have to say is that I am using one of your ROMS and it is phenomenal. Probably the top 1 or 2 ROMs I have every used. I too have been the classic lurker and have been trying to come out a little more lately. So you could say that I have tried quite a few ROMS and honestly you have done a very excellant job with your ROM.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:06 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEDRICKMS View Post
All I have to say is that I am using one of your ROMS and it is phenomenal. Probably the top 1 or 2 ROMs I have every used. I too have been the classic lurker and have been trying to come out a little more lately. So you could say that I have tried quite a few ROMS and honestly you have done a very excellant job with your ROM.
Thank you!

I have uploaded my Classic Sprint rom, along with cabs, wallpaper, and reg edits. There are two separate files for d/l ... here's the link.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/29346477/...5/sharing.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen01.jpg (53.2 KB, 68 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Screen02.jpg (60.0 KB, 54 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Screen03.jpg (58.7 KB, 47 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Screen04.jpg (47.6 KB, 52 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by wmdunn; 01-28-2010 at 11:32 PM. Reason: added screen shots
Old 01-28-2010, 07:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I tried downloading your Sense 2.1 rom in the other thread for backup purposes but it seemed like it was password locked.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond