PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Need help (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=105615)

sawman5 01-10-2010 02:26 PM

Need help

Hi,

I have a sprint diamond that I have had for few months.
I have NOT done anything to it.

I don't have the Data plan

I want to get GPS working and I have done all the steps above from the sticky on configuring GPS but still can't get it to work.

What am I doing wrong?

I have the original ROM and have not unlocked it. Do I need to get another ROM?
Also what is Sense and Manila?

Thanks

HEDRICKMS 01-10-2010 05:08 PM

Re: Need help

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawman5 (Post 1476440)
Hi,

I want to get GPS working and I have done all the steps above from the sticky on configuring GPS but still can't get it to work.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

I pretty sure that GPS wont work without Data. So you will have to get a data plan to use the GPS. If I am wrong I am sure someone who knows will chime in but I do believe the GPS requires the data network. I know mine will not work when I have no signal or data signal.

sawman5 01-10-2010 07:14 PM

I thought it had a built in GPS, so as long as you have something like TOMTOM or Garmin, it would work.....

HEDRICKMS 01-10-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawman5 (Post 1477044)
I thought it had a built in GPS, so as long as you have something like TOMTOM or Garmin, it would work.....

Ok I did a little research and I am half right in my answer. It depends on the application you are using for GPS. Google maps and some GPS software will require the internet to work.

I have never personally tries any TOM TOM nav software, just sprint NAV and google maps and I know they require the data connection.

The GPS chip does not need data connections to retrieve coordinates but will need send coordinates to software for display on a map. So if you have the full TOMTOM nav (I think 1+ gig in size) installed you probably will not need any data connection.

Does anyone else have any other knowledge on how this works?

sawman5 01-10-2010 09:46 PM

I have Garmin and TOMTOM which are both ~ 1 GB + and I have tried GPS test, it still doesn't pick up satalittes....

Do I need to modify something?

mwalt2 01-11-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawman5 (Post 1477404)
I have Garmin and TOMTOM which are both ~ 1 GB + and I have tried GPS test, it still doesn't pick up satalittes....

Do I need to modify something?

Did you try the gps before you went and changed things? I'd undo all of the changes you made. I really don't know why the thread is there about changing those settings. It's not like they sell the phone with the GPS not working. If it doesn't work then, it may be a hardware problem.

iPollesion 01-12-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawman5 (Post 1476440)
Hi,

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Try hard resetting your phone.

MrObvious 01-13-2010 04:28 AM

The GPS sticky is more for AGPS. Honestly the best way is to use the software QuickGPS and get a fairly open area and fire up Google Maps and let it lock on for like ten minutes. It should do it pretty quick.

sawman5 01-15-2010 08:35 PM

But QuickGPS requires data plan, which I don't want..

gangmobb 01-15-2010 08:42 PM

the sprint diamond phone it self requires a data plan.. what plan do you have for you phone right now?