PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint

web1b is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Which Stable ROM Should I Get?

I have a HTC Diamond on Sprint.

I don't need a ton of apps on it. WiFi sharing, Voice Command.
I need the phone features to all work (GPS etc), voice dialing working, stable bluetooth handsfree, address book transfer support and A2DP stereo streaming support, the best possible web browsing experience and UI as finger friendly as possible so I rarely need to use the stylus.

Beyond that, I just need it to be generally stable so it doesn't freeze up and need frequent resets.

I'm willing to give up some of the coolest cutting edge things in the more experimental ROMs so the things I really need to use are reliable.

Which are the best ROMs in this case?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC DIAMOND
Carrier: SPRINT

HEDRICKMS is just getting started
Re: Which Stable ROM Should I Get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by web1b View Post

I need the phone features to all work (GPS etc), voice dialing working, stable bluetooth handsfree, address book transfer support and A2DP stereo streaming support, the best possible web browsing experience and UI as finger friendly as possible so I rarely need to use the stylus.

Beyond that, I just need it to be generally stable so it doesn't freeze up and need frequent resets.

I'm willing to give up some of the coolest cutting edge things in the more experimental ROMs so the things I really need to use are reliable.

I dont think there is such a thing as one "Best" ROM. I think you will find that most agree with me in saying that every ROM here in the Diamond forum is very good and worth a try. Each ROM has its own unique flavor and user experience. I think what would be best for you is to read the first couple pages and last couple pages of each ROM and the change logs to get an idea of each ROM and what experiences people have had. Then pick a few and flash away until you find one you love. Anyone can recommend one particular ROM that actually may be the exact opposite of what you are looking for, I know it happened to me a while back, that is why the advice given on this forum to try a couple is really the best advice anyone could give someone.

I know I didnt really help but trying to save you the aggravation you will get from trying ROM's someone else recommends that are not really what you wanted and the endless posts of someone saying theirs is the best. I really think that almost all the ROMs here are awesome, I have tried just about everyone and each offers something I love. I still am constantly switching cause I enjoy the freshness and feel of new ROMs.

Goodluck!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: touch pro, tp2, epic, evo x2
Carrier: D/\SH_SPEED

D/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

there really isnt a "better" or "best" rom out there and it is personal preference.... i myself on the diamond like the mystery rom series. he has the stability, battery life, speed, and everything else needed to make a nice rom.... i would try that one to tell the truth but than you also got mighty and many others ones to choose from... the best way to find the rom and chef you like the most is to keep trying until you find it.... but i would def have mystery on the top if the list of roms for you to check out.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

web1b is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEDRICKMS View Post
I dont think there is such a thing as one "Best" ROM. I think you will find that most agree with me in saying that every ROM here in the Diamond forum is very good and worth a try. Each ROM has its own unique flavor and user experience. I think what would be best for you is to read the first couple pages and last couple pages of each ROM and the change logs to get an idea of each ROM and what experiences people have had. Then pick a few and flash away until you find one you love. Anyone can recommend one particular ROM that actually may be the exact opposite of what you are looking for, I know it happened to me a while back, that is why the advice given on this forum to try a couple is really the best advice anyone could give someone.

I know I didnt really help but trying to save you the aggravation you will get from trying ROM's someone else recommends that are not really what you wanted and the endless posts of someone saying theirs is the best. I really think that almost all the ROMs here are awesome, I have tried just about everyone and each offers something I love. I still am constantly switching cause I enjoy the freshness and feel of new ROMs.

Goodluck!
I have tried reading the last few pages of most of the threads and I mostly find people posting that they just found something is broken and needs a fix, so I wanted to find one that maybe doesn't have so many new features, but everything broken has already been fixed.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:40 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

O.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributionsO.a.T. should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:

Well, as a recommendation I would suggest staying away from the roms with 6.5.x systems and Sense 2.1/2.5 on them since these are all pretty new betas. That leaves roms with a 6.1 or 6.5 sys and either a strict Titanium UI or with Manila 2.1. Given those constraints most of the chefs on this forum are pushing the envelope with Sense and the latest 6.5.x sys's. I personally use a custom built rom based on OMJ's kitchen that I find very reliable and robust, but there are a few quirks with it. If you don't want to get into the kitchen quite this quick, I would suggest GadgetFreak's rom:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87847

that I used for a while with great satisfaction before moving over to OMJ's stuff with the goal of starting to cook myself. There are probably others too that I am less familiar with. Good luck.

Last edited by O.a.T.; 01-03-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC DIAMOND
Carrier: SPRINT

HEDRICKMS is just getting started

Quote:
I have tried reading the last few pages of most of the threads and I mostly find people posting that they just found something is broken and needs a fix, so I wanted to find one that maybe doesn't have so many new features, but everything broken has already been fixed.
Yeah that happens with newly released ROMs like the sense 2.1/2.5 ROMs that feature newer WM sys packages. I did over look that in my post sorry about that. I would stick with the older builds of 2.1 ROMs like Setix, Gadget, JD’s, IntxROM, Extraclean ROM, Mighty ROM, Indagroove, lucario07 etc..

Again I found almost all the Chefs to be very good at cooking ROMs and would recommend trying them first before making any specific choice on one particular ROM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc snap ceda100 s510
Carrier: Telus

Jadall is just getting started

Yes there is a lot of nice roms right now I built a rom with caulkins kitchen took me a long time to get it the way I wanted it. I am missing out on using opera 10 and a few things but its not too bad. intx premiere isn't a bad rom for example its a 6.1 rom leaves you with almost 100 mb free you do have to install your own opera cab (I would suggest 9.5 or 9.7 opera) and it doesn't have office so if you don't use office it leaves you a lot of room.

omj's sense rom's I have used before they are pretty nice but the sense 2.5 and 2.1 is still in my opinion definatly needing some more work even though those are useable

Energy roms are very nice have lots of apps very flashy and he does good work.

caulkins are another set of roms to try he has a kitchen but released roms too. I have used those too

also I don't even know if the rom I built has voice command support but a lot of them if voice command is in there you have to change the button to activate it. I don't use voice command so never bothered.

if you need something badly and have a rom you like and need help with something like voice command or anything else just put your question in here and someone will be able to get it figured out.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Sprint Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

pwnsicle is just getting started

i'd say use any of the kitchens without the new, flashy sense 2.1/2.5 or new sys like 6.5.x that way you can put exactly what you like in it. the only kitchens that come to mind are ssk and caulkin's. i think juicy had a kitchen as well. even after all that something to keep in mind is you have to clean our your text messages (menu/toos/clear "text messages") on a daily basis or your phone will slow down regardless of what rom you use
Old 01-04-2010, 07:22 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I'm surprised no one mentioned my ROM. *pout* The Titanium one is perfect.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Moved to the Diamond forum.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond