PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 06:34 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: palm pre, going back to my htc diamond.
Carrier: sprint

olgreg20 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry norton 2010 screwed something up!

Today i got an update for my norton internet security 2009 to norton internet security 2010. after installing the update, i turned my pc off, and did not turn it on till later tonight. then i decided i wanted to transfer some music to my diamond and and all i get is an error on the windows mobile device center. i restarted my pc and phone, i did a system restore on my pc and a hard reset on my phone, and i also uninstalled norton, when norton was uninstalled the phone did connect, then i re installed norton 2010 back on and the problem was back. i also checked to make sure that the driver was in my device manager setting, on the pc. i tried to reinstall windows mobile device center but the pc tries to reinstall the driver but, i also get an error to that to saying that the device was unplugged....when it actually was not. so my questions are, is there anyone else that is using norton and is having the same problems, and is there away to fix this? this being the error in windows mobile device center.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: palm pre, going back to my htc diamond.
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

olgreg20 is just getting started
Re: norton 2010 screwed something up!

after cursing out my pc, and phone, and everything gadget insight....i finally got it. i went into the device manager, and erased the diamond driver in the portable directory...and did another hard reset and re installed the drivers and that was how i got it to work, im unsure as to what specific step did the trick, but all that matters is that i got it to work. so thanks to the one other person that read my post, and if the moderators would like to delete this, then go ahead, if not then......... dont. lol.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:15 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint 4G Network

Deimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I think its cool that you figured it out and shared with the community.
might save someone from a hard reset or a computer format
Old 12-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: AT&T Tilt (HTC 8925)
Carrier: AT&T

OMAQman is a n00b

Just joined the forum to say thank you olgreg20 . . . and to kind of confirm the fix. I, too, accepted Norton's invitation to upgrade from NIS 2009 to NIS 2010 and -- BAM! -- the very next day I could no longer connect via Windows Mobile Device Center to my AT&T Tilt (HTC 8925). Since Norton was my top suspect, I began investigating ways to poke through 2010's firewall, which I presumed had monkeyed up the works (WMDC had been working flawlessly for months and months and months). Microsoft actually publishes pretty good instructions for how to create the right rules in Norton to get ActiveSync to work . . . except ActiveSync does not perfectly equal Windows Mobile Device Center -- slightly different executables/locations involved. Needless to say, the firewall tweakage did not work. Still could not connect. Yeah, I was "cursing out my pc, and phone, and everything gadget insight" . . . and quite vehemently Norton, too.

Tonight I happily Googled across your post, olgreg20. But I went straight to the delete the portable device driver in Device Manager step (and if it will save anybody some head scratching -- you have to have your handheld USB'd to the PC for the portable device to show up in Device Manager (at least I did -- running Vista)). I deleted the driver, and then re-booted (keeping the handheld still plugged in via USB). Immediately upon re-boot -- voila! -- connected!

So, thanks, olgreg20. I had already spent WAY more time on this than I cared to, and it is nice to have this functionality back. I'm off to snag a couple of podcasts for the Tilt!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:47 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Eww get rid of Norton then. That'll fix it. *snicker*

If you want a good AV get Microsoft Security Essentials and the built in firewall for Windows is just fine for a firewall anyway.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond