PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   xt garmin ghost (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=101950)

orangekid 12-16-2009 10:31 AM

xt garmin ghost

I saw some posts talking about the illness of garmin xt, so decided to download a cab I got from google and install it, when it wouldn't work right I checked around and saw I was supposed to PAY for the software, I'd been had by the evil piracy gods, so I uninstalled the software faster than a 2010 mustang cobra shebly gt500 and was in the process of reflashing anyways, so I flash stock then flash OMJ 21882 sense 2.5 and it asks me if i want to install garmin xt? But OMJ didn't put that stuff in his ROM on december 4th, so I dont get how it knows I had that installed after 2 flashes. I found a garmin xt folder on my internal, and deleted that, seems now it has stopped asking me if I want to install that stuff, but that was still weird, anyone know what that was about?

also, any of you really pay like $100 for that software? that's insane, I could get a bb3380 or put in another benjamin and get a hero or something, why would anyone spend $100 on mobile gps software when you can get turn-by-turn with other free programs?

KBZL 12-16-2009 10:39 AM

Re: xt garmin ghost

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1417304)
also, any of you really pay like $100 for that software? that's insane, I could get a bb3380 or put in another benjamin and get a hero or something, why would anyone spend $100 on mobile gps software when you can get turn-by-turn with other free programs?

Cause its pretty.

orangekid 12-16-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbussen (Post 1417320)
Cause its pretty.

nice.:joker:

KBZL 12-16-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1417324)
nice.:joker:

Lol. I use TomTom. I read a report recently where someone compared IGO8, tomtom, and garmin xt. TomTom just out performed Garmin by just a little bit.

mwalt2 12-16-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1417304)
I found a garmin xt folder on my internal, and deleted that, seems now it has stopped asking me if I want to install that stuff, but that was still weird, anyone know what that was about?

It's just how the programs works. It places auto-run files inside /internal storage/2577 directory (you can delete this and it won't prompt to install anymore). These will run after you flash a new rom to install garmin again. Many of the garmin files are stored on the internal storage since you'd be hard-pressed to get the map files on main memory.

orangekid 12-16-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbussen (Post 1417337)
Lol. I use TomTom. I read a report recently where someone compared IGO8, tomtom, and garmin xt. TomTom just out performed Garmin by just a little bit.

how much did you pay for tomtom? and how is tomtom better than lets say google maps navigation or amaze gps or whatever, i mean I just like voice turn by turn, I can't be trying to look at my 2.8" diamond screen while driving in Houston traffic lest I end up dead.

orangekid 12-16-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwalt2 (Post 1417344)
It's just how the programs works. It places auto-run files inside /internal storage/2577 directory (you can delete this and it won't prompt to install anymore). These will run after you flash a new rom to install garmin again. Many of the garmin files are stored on the internal storage since you'd be hard-pressed to get the map files on main memory.

so that 2577 folder is like an autorun after a fresh flash?

KBZL 12-16-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1417347)
how much did you pay for tomtom? and how is tomtom better than lets say google maps navigation or amaze gps or whatever, i mean I just like voice turn by turn, I can't be trying to look at my 2.8" diamond screen while driving in Houston traffic lest I end up dead.

I cant remember how much i paid at this point, i have had it for a couple of years. Its great for turn by turn. Graphics are nice. The only problem i have found with current GPS programs is that they dont update roads very often. I do know that the newer TomTom has mapshare, I havent personally used but just judging by the name, im assuming it allows people to make correction to certain maps and share them with the tomtom community.

orangekid 12-16-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbussen (Post 1417412)
I cant remember how much i paid at this point, i have had it for a couple of years. Its great for turn by turn. Graphics are nice. The only problem i have found with current GPS programs is that they dont update roads very often. I do know that the newer TomTom has mapshare, I havent personally used but just judging by the name, im assuming it allows people to make correction to certain maps and share them with the tomtom community.

so doesn't that mean that googlemaps navigation is actually better because you have to DL the map every time you log on (not saved on your phone) and it would be updated more often? (of course they don't have that on wm yet)

KBZL 12-16-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1417421)
so doesn't that mean that googlemaps navigation is actually better because you have to DL the map every time you log on (not saved on your phone) and it would be updated more often? (of course they don't have that on wm yet)

Google navigation looks promising. But yes, if google navigation updates everytime you log on, it will be sweet!