PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Desire
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Desire CDMA
Carrier: USCC

budmannc is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wifi Router

I'm planning to get a Desire from US Cellular. It's shipping with 2.1. Is there an app or some way to enable this phone to become a hotspot/router? I use HTC WiFi Router with my Touch Pro 2 quite a bit.

I'm hoping this is possible on Android 2.1. I believe it's part of 2.2.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2010, 04:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro II
Carrier: Telus

Tweak_four17 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Wifi Router

Quote:
Originally Posted by budmannc View Post
I'm planning to get a Desire from US Cellular. It's shipping with 2.1. Is there an app or some way to enable this phone to become a hotspot/router? I use HTC WiFi Router with my Touch Pro 2 quite a bit.

I'm hoping this is possible on Android 2.1. I believe it's part of 2.2.

Thanks
There is an APK thread in the general android discussion forum with an apk that seems able to do this on any phone on any version, but you must be rooted..
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=125984

Only thing is, I'm not sure if its stealth tethering or not, I asked a while ago and got no response. Not sure how it is for US Cellular but Telus in Canada charges $8/MB if its not part of your plan. Steep. Although that makes me wonder something, when I activated my desire they forced me off y IM,E-mail and WEB 35 which had unlimited data as the plan was "not compatible" with their new HSPA network. The new plan I am on says something in the fine print about tethering inclulded but the sales rep had no idea if it was or not. So maybe they include it now and just don't advertise..anyone know?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Desire
Carrier: US Cellular

Ginmill is a n00b

I picked up the desire on the 15th of this month. I talked to a sales rep and he said that they are able to tell if you are tethering by increase of bandwidth usage. If you don't have the tethering package they will shut your service off. That is what he told me. I have a friend checking that out to see if that information is true. Did your tp2 have the 3g service most of the time? My 6800 would rarely have 3g service no matter where I was.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Us Cellular

menoats is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to menoats Send a message via Yahoo to menoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginmill View Post
I picked up the desire on the 15th of this month. I talked to a sales rep and he said that they are able to tell if you are tethering by increase of bandwidth usage. If you don't have the tethering package they will shut your service off. That is what he told me. I have a friend checking that out to see if that information is true. Did your tp2 have the 3g service most of the time? My 6800 would rarely have 3g service no matter where I was.
Yeah that is some BS. I used my TP2 all the time. They don't want you to use it as a hotspot because its money lost for them. The only way they will tell is if your abusing. Running Torrents and downloading large files. Just treat it as a simple means of surfing don't abuse it. You will be fine.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Desire