PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

eazy2001x is keeping up the good workeazy2001x is keeping up the good workeazy2001x is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Upgrading from the HTC Touch Pro 2 to a HTC Aarive – Need HELP!!!

How do I get all my information of my touch pro 2 and overto my HTC arrive?

If you are going to suggest outlook which I don’t have andwill need to get, will my contact pics stay on my contacts at the sameresolution? Will all my calendar events transfer over, along with me re occurringevents? Is there an app that will do it all for me as well as text messages? Myother concern is I was reading about how the arrive does not allow you toaccess the phones internal memory when connected to USB, does this count foractive sync connections as well? Can you still connect the phone to USB andaccess the micro SD card?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: Upgrading from the HTC Touch Pro 2 to a HTC Aarive – Need HELP!!!

For ur contacts and appointments all u need is an email account (I recommend hotmail). Use the TP2 on a WiFi connection to sync the contacts via ActiveSync exchange to m.hotmail.com and enter the login details then on the arrive login to that email account first and then everything will sync over instantly and seamlessly. The resolution of the contact pics will stay the same as long as u don't use Gmail. There isn't any access to the microSD card via windows explorer but u can sync media files by going to their respective folders.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

eazy2001x is keeping up the good workeazy2001x is keeping up the good workeazy2001x is keeping up the good work

so when i plug the phone into my computer. Can i access and transfer files as normal with active sync? so are you saying that I will never have the chance to ever just plug it in thru USB and see the files on my SD card?

also i have a ton of stuff on my SD card now, when i plug it in it wont wipe it right?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Nope the files will not travel to the arrive via ActiveSync when using a USB cable. They will be transferred through Zune and only Zune syncs music ,videos and pictures (in the my music,my videos, and my pictures folders respectively and whatever other folders u set Zune to look for.) the SD Card u have in the tp2 is not transferable to the arrive without opening it up and doing a potential warranty voiding operation and when u do that it will get wiped clean. If u have any office documents or PDF files on there u can upload them to SkyDrive and then they will be accessible on the arrive in the office hub.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

sounds like this phone sucks.... i am willing to do anything to access my sd card files on my 16 gig from the phone and thru usb. did anyone try to copy the program that has the phone as modem/disk drive and active sync from the tp2 to this wm7 phone. there must be a way.. and void or not.. what do i need to do in order to get access?
Old 12-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy2001x View Post
sounds like this phone sucks.... i am willing to do anything to access my sd card files on my 16 gig from the phone and thru usb. did anyone try to copy the program that has the phone as modem/disk drive and active sync from the tp2 to this wm7 phone. there must be a way.. and void or not.. what do i need to do in order to get access?
I wouldn't say it sucks, it's probably the best phone I've owned on sprint but the sprint network crippled my experience with it. There is no way to access the files on that sd card if u put it into the arrive because it will get reformatted. The best thing u can do is if u have any office files, pictures and such u can upload them to SkyDrive and then they will be accessible from the arrive . Pictures,music and videos will sync through Zune onto the arrive while for office and .pdf files u have to upload them to SkyDrive.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I dont mind if the card gets formatted once i put it in the phone. But once its in the phone i need to be able to copy/move files from the phone to my PC. I dont just use the phone for pics/music/videos. I keep a ton of exe, zip, rar, bat files and many other formants on my SD card. I use those files on other PC's all the time. Thats what i need to figure out. Can i create a filter called other in Zune and let it copy things back and forth that way? if so then it wil be just like active sync and it works for me. also can i setup a hotmail account and copy my current contacts to it now? if so then what do i need to do? I also have a folder on my SDd card now with caller ID pics. but i can use zune for that and just create a folder called caller ID pics then sync it.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Let's make this as simple as possible...

Hotmail = Email, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks. You can sync all your contacts to that, and then they'll always be accessible regardless of the PC or device you're using. This includes photos but see the notes below about Zune.

Zune = Music, Pictures, and Videos. That's it. It's also your software point for accessing the Marketplace on the PC. Also, throw all your Caller ID pics in a Pictures folder called Caller ID or something, and they'll sync and organize that way on the phone via Zune. Also, keep in mind that if you link up to Facebook or other social network, contact photos will download and apply automatically with no need to manually assign them. Likewise, if you set the photo via Windows Live Hotmail or GMail, they will sync automatically across devices and platforms.

SkyDrive = Documents. You can forget about using on-phone storage for EXE, BAT, ZIP, and RAR... you can't use them on Windows Phone anyway. However, all those things can be stored on SkyDrive for web-based access on other PC's, so take this time to make the transition now. It's a much more accessible solution than storing them on a card anyway.

Last edited by GoodThings2Life; 12-11-2011 at 07:20 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yeah, skydrive is not really an option for me. I keeppersonal things on my phone that I don’t want accessible across the internet.Someone needs to hack the SD card fast… I also use my phone to do things oncomputers without internet access so having skydrive wont help. I guess this is the one killer for me aboutthis phone which is somewhat major for me. The files I mentioned with the other non phoneusable extensions are not for the phones use.
I even feel some kinda way about storing my word docs on skydrive.Some things are just personal and should not be accessible across the internet.Microsoft did a good job with this one.
I am going to setup a hotmail account now…
Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy2001x View Post
Yeah, skydrive is not really an option for me. I keeppersonal things on my phone that I don’t want accessible across the internet.Someone needs to hack the SD card fast… I also use my phone to do things oncomputers without internet access so having skydrive wont help. I guess this is the one killer for me aboutthis phone which is somewhat major for me. The files I mentioned with the other non phoneusable extensions are not for the phones use.
I even feel some kinda way about storing my word docs on skydrive.Some things are just personal and should not be accessible across the internet.Microsoft did a good job with this one.
I am going to setup a hotmail account now…
ur files are just as safe on SkyDrive as they are on the PC,maybe safer. When someone tries to compromise ur PC u don't get warned unless u have some FW or AV but if someone tries to compromise ur live account u get warned and the account gets shut down till u intervene.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro