PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 05:43 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

chirodj5 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
replacing the cracked screen on htc arrive ?

Unlike many smartphones out there, thankfully our Arrive's have a glass screen that is separate from the under lying LCD screen instead of a combined unit.

this separate glass layer is referred to as the Digitizer and sends touch inputs to the phone. until recently if you broke this glass digitizer there were no options for repair except warranty.
since the digitizer is separate we can relatively cheaply repair a broken screen

i see that most major rebuilders out their now include the htc arrive and will replace your screen for around $100 give or take.

i also see you can get new replacement digitizers / touch screen glass on the internet for between $30-$50 dollars depending on where you look.

has anybody tried replacing their screen with one of these replacement screens?

i read the Pbankey's tear down on here, (which is now a sticky) but it only goes into detail as far as getting to the SD card and i'm trying to figure out whether i want to tackle my cracked glass myself or send it out to a repair facility

there is one post on xda that talks about replacing the glass, but the instructions and results seemed less than optimal

any one up to speed on this topic ?

Last edited by chirodj5; 12-10-2011 at 04:36 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

chirodj5 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: replacing the cracked screen on htc arrive ?

Well i went ahead and replaced my screen. took me about 2 hours but i wasted a lot of that time locating tools etc.

i decided to figure out how to do it in case i break it again.i suspect next time will take me about 1/2 hour.

gluing the new glass while keeping the LCD under the glass dust free and keeping the new glass dust free is the hardest part.

I used Pbankey's excellent guide on this site to take the back half of the phone apart - if anyone can tell me how, i will link to it

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-arrive...sassembly.html

i followed this thread which bri3d commented in to take aprt the actual screen
Replacing screen. - xda-developers

i took lots of pics and have some advice if anyone wants to give it a shot PM me.

if i can figure out how, i will upload some pics if anyone wants them

i ended up buying my Glass (digitizer) from Amazon for around $30
http://www.amazon.com/Screen-Digitiz.../dp/B0052RO3MW

these guys had the best price i could find to have you screen repaired for around $85
HTC Arrive Cracked Touch Screen Repair Service - iRepairNational
Old 12-05-2011, 11:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

wud_e is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Nice and just in time. Last week was the very first I've ever dropped my arrive and it happened to be a screen breaker. That shatter sound was excruciating to hear. I ordered a $30 screen on Amazon that comes with tools. I should get it sometime this week.

Gun Doggy Bull Dodga of the WP7 Gang

P7
Old 12-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Does the arrive have gorilla glass? Looking to switch to wp7 and trying to decide if I should wait for a newer phone on Sprint.

Sent from my HTC EvO 3D... On The Now Network
Old 12-06-2011, 01:05 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

It isn't listed on Cornings site. I've had mine since day 1 unprotected and still looks brand new. I remember reading elsewhere an email response from HTC stating they are using their equivalent of Gorilla glass but did not reveal the manufacturer. As far as waiting on new Sprint phones...after a detailed conversation regarding my reason for leaving Sprint after 12 yrs to get my etf for Sprint to buy the Titan .01 deal, I talked to to the rep regarding possibly staying if they would have any new WP7 phones in the near future. I got the expected response...no. She did let me know they are releasing another Android phone soon. Can't wait for the backorder to lift.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo70 View Post
It isn't listed on Cornings site. I've had mine since day 1 unprotected and still looks brand new. I remember reading elsewhere an email response from HTC stating they are using their equivalent of Gorilla glass but did not reveal the manufacturer. As far as waiting on new Sprint phones...after a detailed conversation regarding my reason for leaving Sprint after 12 yrs to get my etf for Sprint to buy the Titan .01 deal, I talked to to the rep regarding possibly staying if they would have any new WP7 phones in the near future. I got the expected response...no. She did let me know they are releasing another Android phone soon. Can't wait for the backorder to lift.
I'm really considering doing that Next year at income tax return. Nice to see someone thinking the same thing. I have a Feeling AT&T is going to get Nokia's new devices and if it's the rumored Lumia 900 I'm really leaving Sprint (after 10 years myself). That .01 deal was was crazy! Did you get to keep your number?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Got it to work Thanks for your thread!! Took me an Hour. The Hair Dryer is Very awkward to hold while trying to pry the glass off. First I thought I had to take all of the shards off then I saw it was glued to another peice. I got scared at first because I though I was ripping the top layer of the LCD screen then went down stairs to look at my replacement screen and noticed what I needed to take off was the glass and the screen it is attached to. Pretty easy though! Thanks again.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 AM
VIP Member

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by wud_e View Post
I'm really considering doing that Next year at income tax return. Nice to see someone thinking the same thing. I have a Feeling AT&T is going to get Nokia's new devices and if it's the rumored Lumia 900 I'm really leaving Sprint (after 10 years myself). That .01 deal was was crazy! Did you get to keep your number?
@wud_e I did keep my number. Ported over smoothly. It did suck doing the online activation. Started at 8pm and didn't switch over 10am today. Finallyfaster speed than the Arrive and I can send a text past the 160 limit. Sometimes it's the small things. Good luck with your decision. Wish I would have switched a long time ago.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 AM
VIP Member

Glad you got everything up and running. Thanks for the update.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo70 View Post
@wud_e I did keep my number. Ported over smoothly. It did suck doing the online activation. Started at 8pm and didn't switch over 10am today. Finallyfaster speed than the Arrive and I can send a text past the 160 limit. Sometimes it's the small things. Good luck with your decision. Wish I would have switched a long time ago.

Good to know you had a good experience. WMPowerusers has a new rumor that the Nokia ACE is coming with LTE to Verizon and AT&T late January. that makes the switch even more likely for me.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro