PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 02:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

want2tokyo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Overheating?

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing their Arrive getting really hot and possibly overheating. I will be playing a game for about 30 minutes and by the end the phone is very hot. Along with the phone getting hot the red led in the upper right hand side is blinking. It seems to be some kind of warning that the phone may be overheating. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: Overheating?

yea. it ain't no huge thing tho its just because of the fact that the sprint towers are fewer and weaker than they were at this time a year ago is forcing the phone to operate at a higher power level to try to sustain the signal thus generating heat. sliding out the keyboard or using WiFi when connected to Xbox live or the internet fixes this.

Last edited by eric12341; 06-09-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:50 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
yea. it ain't no huge thing tho its just because of the fact that the sprint towers are fewer and weaker than they were at this time a year ago is forcing the phone to operate at a higher power level to try to sustain the signal thus generating heat. sliding out the keyboard or using WiFi when connected to Xbox live or the internet fixes this.
dont really agree and think its a htc issue cause every single htc device i own does it including evo plus i think it matters cause phone will shut down.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:23 AM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

my arrive only overheats when on data and not wifi becase of the sprint tower situation, now my old TP that thing would overheat like crazy and not even charge till the battery was dead for a half an hour at least
Old 06-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive 32GB MANGO (Sprint)
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular (Verizon)

dtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardtrush is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

I used to only worry about this issue with my Touch Pro 1(the worst) and Touch Pro 2 with the crazy power problems. I haven't had this issue come up yet. Mainly because I only use Wi-Fi right now and unfortunately Garmin or Tom Tom doesn't have a standalone GPS solution for me to really tax the phone like I used to.
On the TP2 when I was running Tom Tom, on a phone call, using a bluetooth headset and charging the phone all at the same time I'd get the blinking red light. I thought we were past these issues with the Arrive. Mine hasn't really gotten too hot. It is slid out a lot during use because of quick texts and e-mails while on the phone. Maybe this has helped me.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:55 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrush View Post
I used to only worry about this issue with my Touch Pro 1(the worst) and Touch Pro 2 with the crazy power problems. I haven't had this issue come up yet. Mainly because I only use Wi-Fi right now and unfortunately Garmin or Tom Tom doesn't have a standalone GPS solution for me to really tax the phone like I used to.
On the TP2 when I was running Tom Tom, on a phone call, using a bluetooth headset and charging the phone all at the same time I'd get the blinking red light. I thought we were past these issues with the Arrive. Mine hasn't really gotten too hot. It is slid out a lot during use because of quick texts and e-mails while on the phone. Maybe this has helped me.
ever own a diamond, hottest (not good way) phone ever. i think they all heat up if you run lots of stuff long but only diamond was too hot to handle.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:52 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
ever own a diamond, hottest (not good way) phone ever. i think they all heat up if you run lots of stuff long but only diamond was too hot to handle.
Did you ever run Android on your diamond, I can cook an egg on mine while running Android it's so hot!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

OK, so I'm kinda new to this for the most part. Been dealing with heating issues with a lot of my devices for many years(iPAQ's,Axim's,TP2). They all tend to heat up over time if used continuously(games, 1+hr talks, etc) but I can't remember a single device that heated up as hot, as quickly as my Arrive does. In a matter of perhaps 5 minutes, it gets noticeably warm in the hand.

What's the deal with these things? Do I need to worry about the device battery melting down, or leaking eventually?
Old 07-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul > TP1 > TP2 > Arrive > SGS3 > SGS4 > LG G4

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
OK, so I'm kinda new to this for the most part. Been dealing with heating issues with a lot of my devices for many years(iPAQ's,Axim's,TP2). They all tend to heat up over time if used continuously(games, 1+hr talks, etc) but I can't remember a single device that heated up as hot, as quickly as my Arrive does. In a matter of perhaps 5 minutes, it gets noticeably warm in the hand.

What's the deal with these things? Do I need to worry about the device battery melting down, or leaking eventually?
Is the area you use the phone very hot? I am not doubting that you had issues with all these devices. The thing is that while all devices get hot, the only device that I had which heat actually affected how the device functioned was my Touch Pro 1. It would constantly overheat and stop charging.

I remember visiting my mother in TX and tethering from my tp1. The only way to keep the phone working was to sit it on a bag of crushed ice. Others have reported that they have gotten the TP2 and arrive to overheat but I haven't yet.

With increasing powerful processors in these phones there will be more heat generated. Lithium ion batteries can be dangerous if they aren't tended to properly so they all have a safety thermal shutdown point in which they will not receive a charge.

If the area you are in is 100°F+ temps you will have a hard time getting any device to function properly.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Banned User

the battery won't melt down the worse that'll happen is either

1) device will auto reboot (guess it's trying to shut down but since plugged in it'll power back up)

2) will stop charging (shown by flashing between green and orange)

in any case u just slide the keyboard out to cool down the device. only reason it feels hotter is because the battery cover is metal. another thing is if the tower in ur area is blown(like mine) the phone will try harder to hold the signal which will generate more heat.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro