PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 01:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: so i went and got the arrive yesterday ..

Sorry, I didn't really make myself clear on the last post. It was more an analogy about switching to a Mac. I've been using a PC since the time of DOS3.1 20+ years ago. I've been using PPC since 2003 and only moved over to a Smartphone last year. Now I'm moving into what's essentially a whole new OS with WP7. It's like moving from a PC to a MAC.

It looks like I have a lot of studying to do before my new Arrive comes in tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks all for the help.

Last edited by JohnMcD348; 07-19-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

u'll love it just install the mango beta before doing anything and follow all of our instructions and u should be ok.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 PM
I am a Patriot
Pocket PC: touchdiamond<treo800<touchpro<touchpro2<arrive<evo
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

rrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIPrrjskj is a VIP
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

lol u should like it regardless of the mango beta i haven't installed it yet but i like my arrive just the same ...
Old 07-19-2011, 05:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Yeah, I don't plan on updating it until there's a truly stable version out there of Mango or 7.5, or whatever they eventually call it. I need to rely on my phone and not worry about features that aren't functional or problems with the current program that might make the phone unstable. If my phone don't work, it could very well cost someone their life.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Arrive

Aleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
Yeah, I don't plan on updating it until there's a truly stable version out there of Mango or 7.5, or whatever they eventually call it. I need to rely on my phone and not worry about features that aren't functional or problems with the current program that might make the phone unstable. If my phone don't work, it could very well cost someone their life.
Hehe, IT for a hospital?
Anyway, the transition between PPC-WP7 shouldnt be much of a headache. The first thing that sold me was not having to type the domain of my exchange. Also, the new office & sharepoint features are incredible. Excel is very fluid and simple to work on, and you dont feel entirely constrained while editing a file; it does pretty much everything you can do infront of a computer.

There are a few options missing(more thorough PIM filters and options to manage skydrive info would be ideal); although, I have a feeling they will be adressed with the full release of mango
Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

@JohnMcD348 ... To clarify on what others have said... If you're using Outlook without an Exchange account, then yeah, the advice above was right about having to migrate to something like a Windows Live Hotmail or Gmail account for contacts/mail/calendar sync. If you're using an Exchange account with Outlook, then you'll solely sync over the air to your Exchange server which replaces the need for cable-based sync unless you just want to sync music, videos, and pictures with the Zune software.

Also, I can relate about needing my phone to work, but I can also say that I'm running the Mango beta on it, and haven't experied any issues at all. If it's a concern to you though, you're right to not attempt the update until its officially released.

Last edited by GoodThings2Life; 07-19-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

OK, Thanks again for the insight. My outlook is via my home computer with Office 2003 since I never bothered to upgrade since the local college was still using 2003 the last time I and my wife were needing it.

I have a couple of Hotmail accounts that I've had for years. I guess I really need to get down to business and figure out how to synch the Skydrive up with my contacts, calender, and documents/photos/videos so I can move them over to my Arrive when it gets here tomorrow or Thursday.

I still have most of my stuff loaded on MyPhone but don't know if I can somehow migrate it all over to Skydrive or not.

To the OP. Thanks for letting me sort of hijak this thread instead of starting a new one. Once I get this all figured out, I'll let you have it back.

Thanks
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
OK, Thanks again for the insight. My outlook is via my home computer with Office 2003 since I never bothered to upgrade since the local college was still using 2003 the last time I and my wife were needing it.

I have a couple of Hotmail accounts that I've had for years. I guess I really need to get down to business and figure out how to synch the Skydrive up with my contacts, calender, and documents/photos/videos so I can move them over to my Arrive when it gets here tomorrow or Thursday.

I still have most of my stuff loaded on MyPhone but don't know if I can somehow migrate it all over to Skydrive or not.

To the OP. Thanks for letting me sort of hijak this thread instead of starting a new one. Once I get this all figured out, I'll let you have it back.

Thanks
well right now SkyDrive only supports sync of photos to wp7 but in the mango beta it supports office files and everything. everything works well and it will not brick ur phone if u follow the directions al pie de la letra,I've had it for 3 weeks now and haven't noticed a single issue and if u do brick it u can easily flash it back.
everything in MyPhone is supposed to start migrating over to SkyDrive next month when they start dismantling it.i dont recommend using a hotmail account that u already have unless u have no contacts in them because what'll happen is all ur messenger contacts will be added into ur phone.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I've had a couple of Hotmail accounts I've used for probably 15 years. I really don't use them for much else since getting out of the military except for Spam drops so I can keep my regular emails as clean as possible. I just installed the Outlook Connector but can't seem to get it working. I think it might have something to do with the fact I'm still using OL2003. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to get the thing to work.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Banned User

well if u have ur tp2 still u can try the exchange ActiveSync tip I gave u on the other page or the tips in the thread I linked u to.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro