PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   WPA-PSK Fix! Get your red-hot WPA-PSK fix right here! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=9298)

luv2chill 09-30-2007 03:33 PM

WPA-PSK Fix! Get your red-hot WPA-PSK fix right here!

1 Attachment(s)
I can't take credit for this. A guy named Vagus at xda-developers grabbed an older version of wzsvc.dll (from an AKU0 release for the HTC Universal) and that seems to allow WPA-PSK to work with our wifi driver (which many other devices including the Universal, Blue Angel, iPAQ 4700, and Axim x51v also use. All of those devices have also had nonworking WPA-PSK with these latest builds of WM6).

Anyway, I packaged the dll into a cab file for easy installing. I tested on my Apache and it appears to work fine. Just download this zip, extract the cab, copy to device and execute. It will make you soft reset your device. After that you should having working WPA-PSK.

It has not been extensively tested, so please give it a shot and see how it goes for you. It should be uninstallable (you can always just delete or rename wxsvc.dll from \Windows and the original ROM version will be restored).

Please report your results!

ksg 09-30-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2chill (Post 94724)
I can't take credit for this. A guy named Vagus at xda-developers grabbed an older version of wzsvc.dll (from an AKU0 release for the HTC Universal) and that seems to allow WPA-PSK to work with our wifi driver (which many other devices including the Universal, Blue Angel, iPAQ 4700, and Axim x51v also use. All of those devices have also had nonworking WPA-PSK with these latest builds of WM6).

Very sweet! Does this also include support for WPA2-PSK-AES?

Since it has been a month since Helmi_c's last WM6 ROM, perhaps he'll repackage all of the fixes... and whatever else he's been working on with WM6 and re-release an updated WM6 ROM for the Apache. Thanks again!

luv2chill 09-30-2007 04:23 PM

No support for WPA2. Our wifi chip (and therefore its driver) do not support WPA2.

ksg 09-30-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2chill (Post 94730)
No support for WPA2. Our wifi chip (and therefore its driver) do not support WPA2.

Really? That is surprising & disappointing, but good to know. I appreciate the work that you've (and others) put into this luv2chill. WPA support under WM6 was a big show-stopper bug for me. It is nice to see that this one has been solved.

One last question luv2chill, our wifi chip only supports 802.11b, correct? No 802.11a/g support, right? Just making sure.

luv2chill 09-30-2007 05:02 PM

Yep... (b) only.

ksg 09-30-2007 07:26 PM

After extensive testing in WM6, I can confirm that this does indeed fix the WPA-PSK issue. It connects to my WPA-TKIP (hidden SSID) each and every time without fail. Great job!

gbm85 09-30-2007 07:53 PM

Just so you know, when using a pre-shared key (aka TKIP), WPA2 is no more secure than WPA. The method for capturing handshakes and brute-forcing them is exactly the same.

That said, if you use the full length of 63 characters, and include symbols, etc, it would take approximately 17 trillion years for a modern PC to crack your PSK.

I'm only saying this to let you know that the lack of WPA2 support is really a non-issue for PSK, as WPA2 has no security benefits in that instance.

Mr Groch 09-30-2007 09:01 PM

I have tried that CAB - no success on Ivan v1 ROM.... It just get worser...
No Wi-Fi applet in Control Panel, no "Wi-Fi on" baloon and when turning on wi-fi
by comm manager nothing happens... No wi-fi icon on the wm tp bar, no
network notification, no connect... Just comm manager tells that wi-fi is on
and bottom light flash green..... Anyone have same effect?

thi 09-30-2007 11:25 PM

works great thanks to all!

hefman 10-01-2007 12:22 AM

YESSSSS!!!

Thanks Chill...