PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Lurker

-RanZ- is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
switching ESN/Phones

does anyone know if you can switch your phone anytime you want? I was thinking of getting a 2nd smaller phone for everyday use and just switch to the 6700 when I go on trips so I can tether it to my laptop for internet.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

chuque is a n00b
I believe there is a 35 dollar esn swap fee now. However if that is an acceptable price...
Old 06-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

-RanZ- is a n00b
wow, $35 to type a small number into a computer. I better call alltel to find out before I order a new phone I guess.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
It probably depends on the carrier, but as far as I know Verizon does not charge for *online* ESN changes. Alltel would hopefully be similar, but yes you'd better call them to check. $35 is ludicrous - show me a web page or customer agreement saying that.

Also note that your equipment may not allow online ESN swaps under your current plan. With Verizon you can't usually ESN swap between phones that require different plans (like a PPC/Smartphone to a "regular" handset, or to a blackberry). But I've switched between my 6700 and my Q a few times this past weekend with no problems. I plan to use the Q day to day and the 6700 when I travel or when I'm away from the office for extended periods of time.

Finally, if the online ESN changer fails to work and you have to call in or go to a store to do it, as long as you explain that the online swap didn't work they will typically waive the fee. But make that the first thing you say so they understand clearly that you tried to do it online and it failed.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Telus

warriorcookie is a n00b
or.....

just saying it's possible, legal... no. Will they catch you?, probably not.

You can use QPST with the proper qualcom drivers and change the ESN in the phone itself. You also need an ESN checksum calculator and your phones MSL (lock code, usually customer service will give it to you or you can use another program called bitpim). This way your provider wouldn't even know you're using a differen't phone. Reason why it's illegal is so you can't use a stoled phone with a legit ESN (others say the reason is so they can pin a federal crime on you even though they've caught you for a different petty crime, but that's a different discussion)

If your interested there's a post on here or pdaphonehome titled something like "I changed my ESN!" Do a search.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

specv is becoming a great contributor
ESN clone is the way to go

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache