PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro by HTC
Carrier: Sprint

kain144000 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Hey, does anyone else who tethers have this prob?...

Hey, Everyone,
I've had EVDO USB tethering (via WModem) functioning for some time now, and also use WMWifiRouter to ICS via ad-hoc w/ my 6700. However, what I'd also like to do is USB tether, and then share the dial-up connection via ad-hoc on my XP box, but I can't share it. When in the Advanced properties (where ICS would normally be) there is only (D@MN! I wish I could Copy & Paste this):

"Windows cannot display the properties of this connection. The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) might be corrupted. To correct this, use System Restore..." (But, I don't subscribe to the whole System Restore, uh..."feature," so I don't have any restore points.)

So, I'd made sure any and every WMI-related service was runnin', del'd the dial-up connection, reboot, set up the connection again, and STILL got the same msg in the Advanced tab. Everyone who tethers, 'you gettin' the same msg I am, or can you ICS (before I waste time tryin' to repair WMI)?
ThankSss
Old 01-14-2008, 10:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

kain144000 is a n00b
Sos...

Does anyone know how to repair/re-install the WMI? I've tried the "stop the service, del the ...\Repository folder, and reboot" method, as well as the "Add/Remove Windows Components" method, but to no avail . Any input would be so helpful and very much appreciated. Repairing this WMI prob is the only thing that stands in the way of me ICS'in' my dial-up connection.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:37 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro & Imagio
Carrier: VzW

blksun813 is a n00b
Quote:
"Windows cannot display the properties of this connection. The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) might be corrupted. To correct this, use System Restore..." (But, I don't subscribe to the whole System Restore, uh..."feature," so I don't have any restore points.)
Here's the official solution from Microsoft:
Method 2: Repair Your Windows Installation
When you perform an in-place upgrade of Windows XP, you reinstall Windows to the same folder. You may want to do this if you must repair your installation of Windows XP. For additional information about repairing your Windows XP installation, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315341 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/EN-US/) How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP

Method 1 is to use System Restore.

I also used to disable System Restore, but I leave it enabled now and it has saved me a few times. Once it was a windows update that my computer didn't like at all... Restored to before the update, and I could boot in normal mode again.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

kain144000 is a n00b
Thanks a lot. So,...

Thanks for the info, I'll try that next. Also, can you go to the Advanced tab of your Dial-up connection?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:07 AM
N00b

blksun813 is a n00b
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I'll try that next. Also, can you go to the Advanced tab of your Dial-up connection?
Ya. This is what mine looks like.

If yours doesn't show up it's probably because of the WMI problem.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

kain144000 is a n00b
D@mm1t!...

I don't understand. I've tried repairing the WMI, and even tried to repair Windows, but when it makes the temp files, it can never copy somethin'8ggi.sys. So, it won't let me reinstall. 'Gonna install some XP SP2 WMI update, and hope it works.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:59 PM
N00b

blksun813 is a n00b
Quote:
I don't understand. I've tried repairing the WMI, and even tried to repair Windows, but when it makes the temp files, it can never copy somethin'8ggi.sys. So, it won't let me reinstall. 'Gonna install some XP SP2 WMI update, and hope it works.

When you go through the windows XP install make sure you don't use the Repair option... treat it as a fresh install... You are actully installing Windows "over the top" of your previous installation.

Another thing to check is look for that .sys file and make sure the security settings are correct.. just give "Everyone" full control and make sure there isn't any users or groups that are denied access. Also, make sure it's not set to "Read-Only" in the properties of the file.

Another thing I've had luck with is to reinstall SP2. You can find it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Old 01-16-2008, 04:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

kain144000 is a n00b
::sigh::

'K, gonna install SP2. 'Hope this works, 'cause it's drivin' me crazy . I'll post my results.
...'Just realized, nothin' about that emoticon says "crazy"... ::shrug::
Old 01-17-2008, 02:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

kain144000 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksun813 View Post
When you go through the windows XP install make sure you don't use the Repair option... treat it as a fresh install... You are actully installing Windows "over the top" of your previous installation.

Another thing to check is look for that .sys file and make sure the security settings are correct.. just give "Everyone" full control and make sure there isn't any users or groups that are denied access. Also, make sure it's not set to "Read-Only" in the properties of the file.

Another thing I've had luck with is to reinstall SP2. You can find it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
::sigh:: I just don't get it, that didn't work either. Anybody else out there got any ideas?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:51 AM
N00b

blksun813 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain144000 View Post
::sigh:: I just don't get it, that didn't work either. Anybody else out there got any ideas?
Well, the last resort is always backup your data, backup your data, backup your data, format, then re-install.

yes, one backup isn't enough... My boss just recently backed-up a customer's data to a HD with errors on it (it was good last time we used it) reformatted, now the data's gone....

Hopefully someone else has a better option for you.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache