PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 6700
Carrier: Sprint

kansas scott is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Connecting to WiFi without a carrier

My former employer let me keep my Sprint PPC 6700. But they shut off the carrier. How can I use the PPC around the house on my home wifi? It seems like a simple request, but the PPC keeps wanting to dial the carrier. Ideas? Thank you.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla
Re: Connecting to WiFi without a carrier

I don't know if it will allow wifi use at the same time, but you can try putting the phone into airplane mode and then turning on Wifi. That way it won't try and use the cell carrier at all.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC 6700
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

kansas scott is a n00b

No, I've tried that too. Sometimes I can get to a home page (e.g., google.com). Then everything I click tries to dial Sprint #777 or something like that.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Older than Dirt!
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: sprint

Thundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

You just need to turn wifi on through the comm manager before you try to access the internet. It won't try to dial up the connection if the wifi connection has been made. The little icon at the top will let you know when connected.
I don't have a data plan and I use wifi all the time at home and when out at hot spots. When the backlight goes off the radio goes into sleep mode until the power button is hit to wake it up. The wifi radio will stay on as long as the backlight is on. You can then check email or browse the net etc.

If you think I've helped ya... hit the "thanks" button!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

leeco is a n00b
Wink Re: Connecting to WiFi without a carrier

Yep, I use my Apache all the time around the house, at church, and school using wi-fi. I just keep the phone connection turned off, and anytime a browser program asks if you understand charges will be assessed, just click yes. They don't apply to wi-fi connections, but your "PDA" doesn't know this. (Skyfire asks, each time.) Try it out!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache