PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 01:39 PM
bj123456

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: PDAJ's Clean WM6.5 ROM 4 Apache

Hi, The first link does not work for the 2.02 bootloader. Thanks Bill
Old 03-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust
Pocket PC: Tin Can ^^)
Carrier: Verizon

Tinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj123456 View Post
Hi, The first link does not work for the 2.02 bootloader. Thanks Bill
Thank you for the information! What error number did you get? Bootloader 2.02 is a fickle little guy!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6700
Carrier: MetroPCS

gmaslin is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I've spent the last two days reading and I'm still unsure of what to do but here is the device information of this Verizon XV6700:

ROM:1.05.00 WWE
date:10/11/05
radio:1.05.00
Proto:SNAZ-40306
ExtROM:1.05.201 WWE
H/W:0041
PRL:50708
PRI:1.13_002
WWW:MSIE 4.01
Model:PA10A1
RAM:64MB

I have .NET 4 installed on my Server 2008 (Vista based) along with buildos.msi and several other applications made to play with this phone but I would really like some hand holding so here are the questions I'd like answered before I start:

Will the method described here work on my version of the BL and ROM?
I've moved to New York City, will I need to change my PRL?
Should I update my BL to version 2.05 even though it may not work very well with my hardware version?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust

Tinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation levelTinkerbell can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaslin View Post
Will the method described here work on my version of the BL and ROM?
Hi gmaslin!! First of all, it is great that you are looking to customize your device. If you are still running windows mobile 5.0 on that little guy, you are in for a real treat!! We need to know what your Bootloader version is before we can proceed. Press Power+Record+Reset holding these three until the screen goes dark. Now, what number do you see at the top of the screen? That is your Bootloader number. For example; v2.05
Quote:
I've moved to New York City, will I need to change my PRL?
No, that will not be necessary!
Quote:
Should I update my BL to version 2.05 even though it may not work very well with my hardware version?
No, it is much better to work with what you have than to try and change your bootloader number!!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Lurker

gmaslin is a n00b

I thought the information above indicated that my BL was 1.05.00 WWE. Anyway, I tried holding both the record and power buttons while punching the reset button and the display went black. How long does it stay black and what should I expect to see? The display has not turned back on and is faint but reads serial v 1.02

Last edited by gmaslin; 10-13-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust

Okay, great. So you need to flash a Rom that is built for v1.02. To exit the bootloader screen, just press the reset button and your phone will reboot!!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Lurker

gmaslin is a n00b

Tinkerbell
Done, thanks. My ultimate goal is to use this device with any carrier and have full WiFi capability as a modem. I found instructions on how to make this device agnostic below:

Check out the link on the HF UT Starcom/Audiovox Forum

(thanks to Oleg106, with minor formatting edits)

"How to avoid Verizon customization, more memory & features.

This is actually pretty simple and does not require any hacks whatsoever.

What you will get:

'Unbranded' phone without any Verizon customization!

More memory, ~10MB more for me. The MMS package alone uses around 4MB.

No Verizon links, no EVDO, no bs.

You can still install the customizations later if you need any of them, I don’t.

More features. The phone application alone has like 4 new services to play with.

Wifi & phone can be used at the same time, no need to edit the registry.
Possibly obex and other crap Verizon took out.

Steps:

1. Hard reboot the phone. This is done by holding the two soft keys and pressing the reset button. Hit "Y" to continue.

2. Go through the screen calibration, zone and password screens.

3. When you get to the "Complete" blue screen where it asks you to tap to start using the device, put the stylus on the reset button but don't press it.

4. Tap on the screen. You will get a message saying that the OEM (Verizon) customizations will be installed on 3 seconds.

5. Hit reset as soon as you see the message and you're all set.

When the phone reboots you will have a fully functional 'unbranded' phone without all the garbage Verizon adds to it.

WiFi and phone can be used at the same time - there are no longer any locks. Obex may work as well, I have no way to test it. Also, you get some extra menu items here and there. Works flawlessly.

If you do need some of the crap Verizon installs, open up the Extended ROM partition and install it by clicking on the cabs. Don't run the remove. cab."

See linked thread for more information!

I did this on the VX6700 I have and it works great (no hacks required).

I did turn EVDO back on - very easy to do as noted below:

(modified from Xterra13)

"Steps:

1. Open Settings and select the Connections Tab.
2. Click Connections.
3. Add a new modem connection.
4. Name the connection whatever you want.
5. Select Cellular Line as the modem.
6. Enter #777 as the number to dial.
7. Enter User Name number@vzw3g.com and password vzw; leave domain blank. (Xterra13 suggested leaving all blank and the setting thru PIE).
8. Click Finish.
9. Go to Connections and select Advanced Tab.
10. Click 'Select Networks'.
11. Under Network Management, select 'My Work Network' in both slots.
12. You may have to select Edit to make sure the EVDO Modem is selected."

Will this accomplish my goal and if it does, would it prevent me from making use of any known Verizon exploits?
Old 10-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Sprinkler of Pixie Dust

Humm... that is an interesting theory. I have never run across this particular customization. I would give it a shot, if that is what you are looking for. Let us know how it works for you!!
Personally, I find wm5.0 is almost unusable by today's standards. The Apache is very capable of running wm6.5 if you are interested in a more functional device! Either way, have a great time out there!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development